So I decided that it would be a fun idea to put a different OS on my TI-83+.
I believe it was OS2.
I did this using the TI Connect Software for Windows.
The install completed, but now the calculator only displays the message "RAM cleared" and the block cursor in the top left.
The buttons are unresponsive.
The only way I've found to turn it off is to remove a battery.
After the battery is replaced, the screen remains blank until the ON key is pressed, but the same message is there.
TI Connect and TiLP (Windows) do not recognize the that the calculator is connected to the computer.
Is there any way to fix this, or is the calculator now bricked?

Thanks for any help you can give.
EDIT: Actually, before you try what I said in my original post below, it might be worth it to try removing a battery, replacing it, and then turning the calculator back on by holding CLEAR when pressing ON. If the calculator works fine, then the OS is okay but your archived data is not. If you don't have anything precious in your archive, simply reset all data via the memory menu (2nd +). If you do have precious data in your archive that isn't backed up anywhere, it gets a bit trickier. If this is the case, say so and hopefully I or someone else can detail how best to try to save files from a corrupted archive.

ORIGINAL: Your calculator is most likely not bricked, but you may need to reinstall the OS. You can force the calculator to enter OS receiving mode by removing a battery and holding DEL while reinserting it. If all goes well, a message should show up requesting that an OS be installed and the calculator should be visible to linking software.
SUCCESS!
Holding DEL while putting the battery back in to reinstall the OS worked.

Thank you so much.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours