Many years ago when I was young and stupid, I was disassembling my TI-83+ and broke a resistor off with my screwdriver. I'd like to try and fix this now, but I don't know how many ohms the resistor was. After looking at datamath.org, it looks like my calculator is one of the revisions from 2006 or newer, with the TI REF TI-738X (not the one from 2006 with a seperate Zilog IC). The resistor is 40-4F (you can see it here, right hand side, under the ASIC - http://datamath.org/Graphing/JPEG_TI-83PLUS_F06BL.htm#PCB).

So, does anyone know what I need to put in?

Thanks!
Sorry for the double post, but after playing around a bit it seems like a 470k resistor works. I'm going to try soldering this in, but does anyone know if I'm going to damage my calculator using this resistor (i.e., should I be using something much larger)?
I'm afraid I'm not around my equipment, otherwise I could try to do a careful in-circuit measurement of one of my many calculators. From the placement of that resistor (I can't quite read the silkscreen to see exactly which one it is from the Datamath picture), it's either one of the ASIC settings resistors, or part of that small power supply circuit underneath the ASIC. I'd be wary of picking an arbitrary value without having one of us sanity-check their own calculators. It's usually safer to go with a too-high rather than a too-low value for resistors, but not always.
I'd test mine for you but I think I killed it in an ill-conceived experiment with the freezer.
DShiznit wrote:
I'd test mine for you but I think I killed it in an ill-conceived experiment with the freezer.
The resistor should still be intact, most likely.
Hmm, maybe I'll wait then. Do you think I would have any luck emailing TI and asking them?
thatonewastaken wrote:
Hmm, maybe I'll wait then. Do you think I would have any luck emailing TI and asking them?
Very, very no. The TI-Cares people are very far removed from the technical staff.
They'll want you to throw it away and get a new one, I suspect.
Alright that's what I figured. I guess I'll wait, if someone has their 83+ open and an ohmmeter nearby I would be very grateful if they could help me out : )

e: Actually the resistor values are printed on the resistors! So ohmmeter not even required!
thatonewastaken wrote:
Alright that's what I figured. I guess I'll wait, if someone has their 83+ open and an ohmmeter nearby I would be very grateful if they could help me out : )

e: Actually the resistor values are printed on the resistors! So ohmmeter not even required!
If it's the type of SMD resistor with a value code, yes! See if you can find yourself a high-res picture on Google Images, perhaps?
They do have the value code on them. I spent way too long on Google Images but couldn't find any pictures that were high-res enough to read the value. Thanks for the suggestion though.
If no one has an answer for you by June 10th-ish and If my sister brings my TI-84+SE back from college, I'll check it out for you.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours