Hello everyone, I just got an 89 for $19.95, fully working except for the screen. While I do not have it yet, I know that half of the screen (left) is dimmer and has lines on it. I have seen how to fix an 83 screen, but do you think fixing the ribbon/replacing it would solve the problem on this 89?

Here is a link to the auction with images: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251248466866

Addition: if anyone has a layout of the 89's internals, it would be much helpful if you could post it here! Thank you!
http://datamath.org/Graphing/TI-89.htm Might be a good place to start for internal images and information.
Sadly, the problems you describe sound like the fine-pitched ribbon cable has faults, which is very challenging to repair. So challenging, in fact, that I haven't yet found a reliable way to do so. Sad Nevertheless, I wish you luck, and we'll help as much as we can.
That is such a shame. Sad The calculator looks fine otherwise. Can nothing at all be done to make this power house refulgent again? Would a motherboard transplant fix the problem? But then where would you obtain a spare TI-89 motherboard from?

It's heartbreaking to think that there could be a plethora of unused and unloved TI-89s lying about in people's basements, drawers and car boots longing to be used, repaired and wanted.

It's a shame! Sad
Hi guys, I would just like to update the condition of my calculator. It seems that it came in and the screen was broken beyond repair. I would like to express my condolen...

jk, I fixed it. Razz It was a simple fix. I was lucky that the screen acted normally when pressure was on the screen, so I took it apart and added foam/padding on the left side of the case, right above the screen. Although I have no pictures of the internals, I have a pic of it working 100%!

If you ever have $20 laying around, consider purchasing a TI-89 with half a broken screen! (Luck not included)
Wonderful. You lucky man! A TI-89 power house for a mere $20. Mouthwatering! May it serve you long and lovingly in the years ahead. Well done! Very Happy

PS
Do take good care of it though. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours