Hey peeps, I was wondering whether anyone out there would be interested in working on an operating system called LibraNext, which is a takeoff of Debian and Linux that aims to bring stability, speed, and reliability to the public market. We have enough system testers as of now, but we really need more coders who can get into the nitty gritty of Linux and its kernel. Here's a list of some things that would be great to have in any coder we would need:

C++ experience
    Bash experience
    Experience with Linux kernel 2.6
    XFree86 skill would be nice
    KDE
    Qt version 3

If you have any or all of these skills, and feel you have time to give to this project, we'd be very glad to add you to our team. Just send me a PM :)

Check out our website at libranext.com!
Hi Roguebanth;

Has the original source code to Libranet been released by Tal Danzig?

I know that was a huge disappointment for many in the Libranet community esp when it discontinued in 2005. Eight years has passed, and that's like 2,000 dog years in software time. Really. I think many at this point probably still feel sore over how Tal turned his back on everyone, and I think with the rise of other distros Libranet has been rendered irrelevant.

I think that we can assume that it was intended to die. Since then the technologies have really changed esp. with the rise of Ubuntu accomplishing every bit what Jon Danzig had set out to do.

I really think the days of a pay model for Linux like what Libranet had are really gone, as people do not want to be burned with no source code release like what happened with Libranet after Jon Danzig died. It's unfortunate that whatever stumbling block Tal has (ego??) still seems to be preventing him from releasing the old source code ( I don't see it anywhere). Not that it would make much difference, because everyone has moved on (or will) to things like Ubuntu, FirefoxOS, and Android. Even google releases the source to their massive Android project!

IIRC many of the libranet community moved over to Puppy Linux, and they have a vibrant, active community. And distros such as PClinuxOS and Linux Mint are easier to use now than Libranet was. And they don't worry about the closed source hassle created at Libranet.

Perhaps it is appropriate that it is a dead end, as a memorial on how not to manage a software project.

Not that you aren't a very noble person for trying to carry on something that was at one time a *little* bit relevant.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours