You might be familiar with Scarth v1.0, my scorched-earth/tanks game in TI-BASIC released in 2006. In the game, you tank and a calculator-controlled tank face off for control of a mountainous scrap of land. You take turns choosing an angle and power, and trying to hit the opposing tank. Each tank has a health bar that shrinks as you get damaged, and a damaged tank can't shoot as far. The last tank standing wins. Scarth v1.0 for the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus looks like this:

Over the past few weeks, in between all the other things I've been doing, I wrote a quick port of Scarth to the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition. Unfortunately, the slow BASIC editor scrolling was the largest factor in the few weeks this took, as guessing-and-checking line coordinates for the health/power bars, for instance, took hours instead of minutes. Since the screen is much higher-resolution, the requisite guess-and-checking is more extensive than on the older calculators, and the BASIC editor's speed doesn't help. I hope that it either gets resolved by TI in a future OS update, or at least that I get a quick implementation of Doors CS's Instant Goto feature written.

But I digress. Scarth 2.0 brings the game to the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition, including colorful terrains, tanks, meters, and shots, more optimizations from 7 additional years of honing my TI-BASIC skills, and higher-resolution gameplay. Please check it out and enjoy it, and if you have one of the older calculators, Scarth 1.0 is still a good way to waste an hour or three.

Downloads
Scarth v1.0
Scarth 2.0: Scorched Earth

Looks beautiful. I might have to port some of my games as well, once I get a copy. Unfortunately, I suspect FrogRPG will be pushing the graphics too hard, but BattleField, Croquet, and Hangman should all be viable options. Possibly even SpiderTrap.
Good job!

Just a suggestion: Make the top text a bit darker, so it's easier to see. Smile
DJ_O wrote:
Good job!

Just a suggestion: Make the top text a bit darker, so it's easier to see. Smile
Thanks! Subjectively, it's actually a bit darker on the hardware calculator's screen, so it's not as hard to see as it is in that screenshot. The Prizm's screen shows that too: light colors in screenshots tend to look darker.
That looks great, excellent job. It seems like it's been a good way to compare the two devices, too - I hope they resolve your gripes with the editor!
benryves wrote:
That looks great, excellent job. It seems like it's been a good way to compare the two devices, too - I hope they resolve your gripes with the editor!
Thanks, it certainly has. I'm hoping to work my way through some of the rest of my catalog of TI-BASIC programs to find other programs that provide a good comparison between the two. I heartily agree about the gripes, or if they don't, that I find the time to write my own hooks to ameliorate the problems.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours