Any examples or ways to make a randomly generate maze and create a path that the player can follow? So that the player doesn't get stuck inside a wall >_< I'm trying to do this with the home screen ASCII, but the graph screen is okay too.
The algorithmic way to make a solveable maze is to use a depth-first recursive search to draw walls. I made a program that does that here:

http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&id=536
I can honestly say that I don't understand any of that o_o...
hellninjas wrote:
I can honestly say that I don't understand any of that o_o...
Then you should read the Wikipedia article explaining several methods of maze generation, including this one. Make sure you engage your brain and think hard about it; it's a hard subject and will take effort from you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maze_generation_algorithm#Depth-first_search

Edit: For what it's worth, my specific DFS implementation uses the method under "Randomized Kruskal's algorithm".
KermM: That looks wonderful o.o I remember looking at that article a while back and I understood nothing of it. I am pretty sure I will understand it better now Very Happy

I don't know how well that particular algorithm will work on the homescreen, though.

I know I saw Weregoose post some code somewhere about it that used a binary tree, I believe.
Xeda112358 wrote:
KermM: That looks wonderful o.o I remember looking at that article a while back and I understood nothing of it. I am pretty sure I will understand it better now Very Happy

I don't know how well that particular algorithm will work on the homescreen, though.
I would expect it to work fine, as you can do the same "draw" and "erase" operations on matrix elements if you prefer. It might not be the best option for a homescreen maze program, though.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours