http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BFG-GeForce-7800-GS-OC-256MB-GDDR3-AGP_W0QQitemZ8774868052QQcategoryZ40161QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

...Why?
don't get your panties in a bind now, just don't get it (its a scam by nVidia anyway)

the 7800GS AGP is basically a tweaked 6800GT AGP

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=OTYxLDEsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0

you'll notice the 7800GS AGP is a 16 pipe GPU like the 6800GT (the 7800GTX has 24 pipes, and the 7800GT has 20)
Quote:
don't get your panties in a bind now

Laughing

I know it's not a good card, but I just don't see why they would go out of their way to make one...after all, the AGP bus can't handle it.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
I know it's not a good card, but I just don't see why they would go out of their way to make one...after all, the AGP bus can't handle it.

thats not true. The AGP bus CAN handle it. Infact, the AGP 8x is NOT saturated with current gen cards. AGP is quite capable in terms of speed, but was rushed out because it is inconvinient (a radeon 9700PRO will get only 1-2 FPS lower w/ AGP 4x vs. 8x). AGP required its own bus seperate from PCI - PCI-E uses the same bus, reducing chip complexity and other such problems

Also, when running SLi on non-nForce4 SLI X16, one of the x16 slots runs at x8 speeds because the nforce4 SLI doesn't have enough lanes. PCI-E x8 is the EXACT same speed as AGP 8x - yet no one was claiming that the x8 slow was hurting performance Wink

If nvidia wanted to, they could make the 7800GTX WITHOUT any GPU changes be an AGP card, but there just isn't a market for that sort of thing, as anyone who's going to drop $600 for a video card probably has PCI-E Laughing
Shock Wow...wait, but if you were to have a 7800 gtx on a 16x pci-e slot, it would run @ 16x right? Oh, I think I get it now; a 7800 running @ x8 would work on agp standards...which is what we have here.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Shock Wow...wait, but if you were to have a 7800 gtx on a 16x pci-e slot, it would run @ 16x right? Oh, I think I get it now; a 7800 running @ x8 would work on agp standards...which is what we have here.

let me re-explain this

1x7800GTX @ x16speeds = 2xAGP 8x

2x7800GTX in SLi == 1@x16, 1@x8 == 1@2xAGP 8x, 1@AGP 8x

So one of the 7800GTXs when in SLi will run at x8 PCI-E speed, which is the same as AGP 8x. Therefore it would be perfectly possible to run 1 7800GTX at x8 speeds just fine, which therefore means it could run on an AGP slot just fine

This is not just a theory, it can be verified. Compare SLi graphics speeds in a nForce 4 SLi and an nForce4 SLi X16. On the later both cards run at full x16 speeds, yet there is very little, if any, performance increase...
Quote:
Therefore it would be perfectly possible to run 1 7800GTX at x8 speeds just fine

Yes, but you lose performance, which is what I was saying Wink
Yes, but you lose performance that way, which is what I meant by my previous post Wink
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Quote:
Therefore it would be perfectly possible to run 1 7800GTX at x8 speeds just fine

Yes, but you lose performance, which is what I was saying Wink

NO YOU DON'T! - jeez, its like talking to a brick wall with you Laughing Rolling Eyes

re-read my last post CAREFULLY, and follow the chain of comparisions, and you'll see there is CURRENTLY no performance advantage of PCI-E x16 vs. AGP 8x
I think I'll just watch to see how this one plays out. Smile Carry one, sirs.
Then why would one slot go to x8 in SLi mode instead of staying at x16? Also, I'm preety sure a 7800 GTX will use up more bandwidth when it's on x16 than with x8 on PCI-E...

EDIT: This explains my argument nicely: http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/02/02/nvidia_7800gs_confirms_agp_aint_dead_yet/page2.html

And some benchmarks to compare the AGP version to the PCI-E version:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/09/seven_of_nvidia/page39.html

Now notice which one takes the performance hit Wink
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Then why would one slot go to x8 in SLi mode instead of staying at x16? Also, I'm preety sure a 7800 GTX will use up more bandwidth when it's on x16 than with x8 on PCI-E...

EDIT: This explains my argument nicely: http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/02/02/nvidia_7800gs_confirms_agp_aint_dead_yet/page2.html

And some benchmarks to compare the AGP version to the PCI-E version:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/09/seven_of_nvidia/page39.html

Now notice which one takes the performance hit Wink

an nForce 4 SLI chipset CANNOT handle 2 x16 PCIe slots (it doesn't have enough PCIe lanes), hence, when running in sli mode one is x16, the other is x8, as that is all the lanes the chipset can handle. (or for early SLi boards, both are xCool.

When playing a game, bandwidth is NOT important between the card and the mobo. The reason is simple, a vast majority (if not all) of the level data is loaded into the card BEFORE the game starts, not DURING. Hence, only small amounts of data are transfered back and forth during the game, usually just what doesn't fit in the cards framebuffer.

I think you linked to the wrong review, there isn't an AGP card listed - and never link me to tomshardware again - it is the WORST site for computer info EVER

You can do an experiment to see just how important bandwidth really is yourself. Simply force-lower the AGP level in the BIOS. eg: switch from AGP 8x to 4x
...and presumably there'll be no noticeable drop in performance?
Quote:

When playing a game, bandwidth is NOT important between the card and the mobo. The reason is simple, a vast majority (if not all) of the level data is loaded into the card BEFORE the game starts, not DURING. Hence, only small amounts of data are transfered back and forth during the game, usually just what doesn't fit in the cards framebuffer.

But that's assuming that the programmers will code a certain way; I'm going by bare-bones raw speed and computing power here, like with 3DMax benchmarks and other GPU-intensive tasks where it pays to have more bandwidth.

Quote:
an nForce 4 SLI chipset CANNOT handle 2 x16 PCIe slots (it doesn't have enough PCIe lanes), hence, when running in sli mode one is x16, the other is x8, as that is all the lanes the chipset can handle. (or for early SLi boards, both are xCool.

I know that it can't handle it, but if it could, then there would be an increase in performance. But then we're getting away from GPU's and going into chipset wars...

Quote:
I think you linked to the wrong review, there isn't an AGP card listed - and never link me to tomshardware again - it is the WORST site for computer info EVER

The AGP benchmarks are in the first link, and the PCI-E in the second. And Tom's Hardware DOES NOT SUCK!
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Quote:

But that's assuming that the programmers will code a certain way; I'm going by bare-bones raw speed and computing power here, like with 3DMax benchmarks and other GPU-intensive tasks where it pays to have more bandwidth.

You misunderstand. theres a reason cards come with up to 512mb onbaord RAM now - so that system ram isn't used for graphical tasks. Hence, minimal data is transfered over the PCIe/agp bus (both are far too slow to transfer image data on the fly). All the image data, vertex data, etc.. is stored on card. This is done automatically and in the background, the game programmer has to do none of this (aside, of course, from actually loading the object so that it can be used - but nothing special or anything like that). Its one of the reasons there is a driver Wink (its also part of the reason that there are load times Laughing )

Quote:
Quote:

I know that it can't handle it, but if it could, then there would be an increase in performance. But then we're getting away from GPU's and going into chipset wars...

Wrong. Look up a review of the nForce 4 SLi x16. It supports running 2 x16 slots at x16 speeds, yet there is minimal performance increase.

http://hothardware.com/viewarticle.aspx?page=11&articleid=739

there is a side-by-side comparison of an x8 SLI setup vs. an x16 sli setup - notice the performance differences. They are minimal, around 5-10%. An increase, yes, but the higher the IQ scales (such as with AA and AF turned on), this delta DECREASES.

Quote:
And Tom's Hardware DOES NOT SUCK!

You're right, my bad, saying it sucked is a drastic understatement. Worst. Site. EVER (hell, even I could afford to buy a review there!)
Rolling Eyes Oh man; this is going to be a loooooooong topic...

Why would some cards run at x16 instead of x8 if they don't fully saturate x8?

Let's just leave it at this; yes, there is in fact a performance increase, but it is fairly small.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Why would some cards run at x16 instead of x8 if they don't fully saturate x8?

thats a simple one - because x16 is that of the physical connector Wink (future proofing is a goal of PCIe)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pci_express

Odd...I haven't seen any cards that are x8 only or x16 only...so how does this work if the connectors are different? do x8 work in x16 slots? Or are the boards themselves designed to fit in both x8 and x16 slots?
It kind of makes sense that the physical number of pins corresponds to the bus width.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pci_express

Odd...I haven't seen any cards that are x8 only or x16 only...so how does this work if the connectors are different? do x8 work in x16 slots? Or are the boards themselves designed to fit in both x8 and x16 slots?

all x16 cards are technically x16 only, as it is really a slot description.

they switch to x8 SPEEDS when in SLi

x8 does work in an x16 slot, just like an x1 will work in an x16 - its upwards compatible, but not downwards

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours