ok, one, Cache helps a processor run faster

two, a domain is a type of networking where servers control everything instead of workgroups where each computer is responsible for tself. Effective for larger networks (25+)

I have been really wanting to build a small server, and with my MCSE class, I also want to make it a domain controller (the server that runs the domain), but Media Center Edition, much like Home, is only availible on a Workgroup scheme, where Pro can do either
So I should get the compaq with XP Pro not Media Edition?

-Swivel
that was in response to what Kerm had said.

If you need the Media Center stuff, then (I can't believe I am saying this), the get it, otherwise, spring for Pro
Yeah, Media Center only really makes sense if you're going to do a LOT of multimedia, have a bigscreen TV, speakers etc, and you're willing to spend the extra money.
swivelgames wrote:
So I should get the compaq with XP Pro not Media Edition?

are you on a domain network? if not (or if you don't know what that is), then Pro is of ABSOLUTELY NO USE TO YOU - then you just need to decide between Home and Media Center Edition

do a google for "WinXP home vs. pro" and find out which you want yourself. Home is the cheapest, and since i don't have any need for domains, i got that (+student/teacher discount == cheap Wink )

@Kerm: WinXP MCE only makes sense if you want tivo functions. Whether or not you have a TV, good speakers, etc... is irrelevent, as you can just use your monitor. MCE is only worth it if you are getting, or plan to get, a TV tuner card (or your cable box has firewire out), ditto for the amount of "multimedia" usage Rolling Eyes

If you DON'T want/need the extra MCE stuff, nor domain networking, GET WinXP HOME AND SAVE MONEY Laughing (i never understand why people always push "pro" over "home" for single comp usage - i guess they just like the word "pro" Razz )
Kllrnohj wrote:

If you DON'T want/need the extra MCE stuff, nor domain networking, GET WinXP HOME AND SAVE MONEY Laughing (I never understand why people always push "pro" over "home" for single comp usage - I guess they just like the word "pro" Razz )

Exactly. That's what I was trying to say. Smile
two words

Power Users
rivereye wrote:
two words

Power Users

two words

money pit Laughing

HOWEVER: if you get the AMD X2, you MUST get WinXP PRO!!! (home doesn't support multi-procs - which is basically how a dual core proc gets handled, as two seperate CPU's)
Ah yes, I had forgotten about that. Why does MS do that, seems kinda stupid to me. :/
because, most SMP computers are being bought right now by people who can afford the extra for pro, mostly companies who have it already.

XP Home is really 9x on an NT kernal

Pro is 2k Pro, Guiffied

those 2 statments are my opinions
rivereye wrote:
because, most SMP computers are being bought right now by people who can afford the extra for pro, mostly companies who have it already.

Pro is 2k Pro, Guiffied

those 2 statments are my opinions

But it wouldn't bog down home at all to include smp support; therefore, Microsoft is being greedy again. Sad
Well, I got a new comp. All the same specs as the compaq but its a gateway. They did'nt have the compaq at best buy when I went, and it looked like they were full on inventory for there compaqs so maybe this one does'nt sell that kind? Anyway, I got a Gateway with MCE added to Pro. I was talking to a guy and he said that all there computers were MCE WITH Pro on it, so its all good. I got what I wanted, had a little trouble with monitor registering with comp(screen would'nt show) got that fixed(Minor mistake on my part). And its pretty fast, and a very good comp from what I know right now. I dont have much Media Center hardware, but it did'nt cost anything to get MCE with pro so I got it anyway. I thought, actually, that the Hardware came with MCE when you bought it, Like, the remote at least.

-Swivel
Cool! Glad you got the comp you wanted. Smile
rivereye wrote:

Pro is 2k Pro, Guiffied

lol, ALL of winXP is based off of the win2000 NT kernel - pro runs the same kernel as home, just with some extra stuff turned on Wink

Quote:
computers were MCE WITH Pro on it

i KNEW MCE was Pro + extra's and not home + extras Laughing

as for SMP, do remember that dual-core procs are still NEW, and WinXP is OLD - back when XP came out (and even for 4 years afterwords) the only comps that really had SMP were workstations on servers - not exactly your average compaq Wink
yeah, well, I wish I could get my hands on a datcenter server with maximum performance, that would fly
Kllrnohj wrote:
rivereye wrote:

Pro is 2k Pro, Guiffied

lol, ALL of winXP is based off of the win2000 NT kernel - pro runs the same kernel as home, just with some extra stuff turned on Wink

Quote:
computers were MCE WITH Pro on it

I KNEW MCE was Pro + extra's and not home + extras Laughing

as for SMP, do remember that dual-core procs are still NEW, and WinXP is OLD - back when XP came out (and even for 4 years afterwords) the only comps that really had SMP were workstations on servers - not exactly your average compaq Wink

That's why XP is superior to the 9x line re: networking, because it has the superb (relative to Microsoft) networking from NT.
yes, but even Windows XP networking falls short of Linux on many occasions
Indeed, can't argue with you there. Really the only place where Win surpasses *Nix is in program base and GUI.
KermMartian wrote:
Indeed, can't argue with you there. Really the only place where Win surpasses *Nix is in program base and GUI.

no, just program support - *nix has a better GUI Wink (M$ basically stole vista's interface from Sun Laughing )
Hehe...and they stole the rest of it from Apple (or did apple steal it from Sun?)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours