Well, lets just start this with (facepalm)

I have a KVM switch tying 2 computers together, and i had an external hard drive connected to that KVM Switch. The cord on the drive is REALLY short, (like 2 inches) thats why i had it in the KVM switch.

Anywho: I was copying music onto the drive and i went away to eat, when i came back my mom had switched the kvm switch while cleaning, and when i switched it back the drive could not mount and the music was in mid copy. I did the fsck and got:

Code:

aes@ubuntu:~$ sudo fsck /dev/sdd
fsck from util-linux 2.19.1
e2fsck 1.41.14 (22-Dec-2010)
fsck.ext2: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks...
fsck.ext2: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdd

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

I did the e2fsck -b 8193 <device> and got:

Code:

aes@ubuntu:~$ sudo e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/sdd
e2fsck 1.41.14 (22-Dec-2010)
e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdd

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

I fear i may have just destroyed that hard drive. which really sucks. that means i killed both of those twin drive that i paid 30 dollars for... IS there anyway to fix it? And would a magnet fix it, everything on the drive i have on my computer, it was just a second backup. so data descruction is not a problem.
I think the 8193 is just an example. Usually there are several superblock backups written, which are listed when the filesystem was created. I don't personally have any direct experience with finding these, but a Google search for “find filesystem superblock backups” seems to have some possible hints.
thanks i will go look into that.
It doesn't look like your hard drive is actually damaged, but there seems to be potential data loss. I suggest making a image copy with dd onto a larger hard drive from the corrupted drive, so that you can mess around with it without losing data (but it seems that you don't really care about it since it's just a backup). You could just reformat the drive.
Ok, I will look into how to reformat the drive. 98% of the data i have, the other 2% i doubt my mom will ever use or remember needing at all.

This is what i used and the result. its an NTFS drive so that might give these results, not sure..

Code:

aes@ubuntu:/$ sudo dumpe2fs /dev/sdd | grep -i superblock
dumpe2fs 1.41.14 (22-Dec-2010)
dumpe2fs: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdd
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.

Well, if it's an NTFS drive then you can't use e2fsck or dumpe2fs on it. Wink You could run CHKDSK from a Windows installation or DVD.
^^ not sure if it was fat, or NTFS. but i do know the reformat worked. Thanks Souvik and tarvis. Now to get back to adding 40GB of music onto and fixing its twin brother. Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours