Is it possible? Can it be done? Can we rewrite in such a way that we can bring it back and work without extra RAM?
Moved this to Calculator Open Topic, as this doesn't seem like a project announcement.

Quote:
Is it possible? Can it be done?
If it was written, it can obviously be rewritten.

Quote:
Can we rewrite in such a way that we can bring it back and work without extra RAM?
That might be trickier. I imagine it was fairly optimized, and there just might not be enough space without the extra RAM to do it. I could be wrong about that, though.
I think it is possible to have msd8x on a 48kb calculator. It works with mine (for the mouse/keyboard). I'm currently trying to get the usb stick thing to work.

But I'm sure its possible. BrandonW is rewriting it I think, and we need to find ways to optimize this program.

But it will prevail!
The issue is that it uses the extra ram for sorting the files in the directory view. BrandonW already said it would be trivial to just comment out the sorting and it would work just fine on the calcs with less ram.

That said it already would crash on calcs with the full 128k of ram if you had directories with way to many files in them due to the sorting.
Could there be a conditional statement that would skip over the 128Kb code if you have a 48Kb calc?
A conditional statement can be used, but I’m just going to comment out the code, build it, try it.
GinDiamond wrote:
Could there be a conditional statement that would skip over the 128Kb code if you have a 48Kb calc?
Sure, but the trick will be getting it to still work properly without using that extra memory.
Do you think we could get the mouse driver from JERRY to work with ALL of DCS? And anything that uses DCS libraries?
GinDiamond wrote:
Do you think we could get the mouse driver from JERRY to work with ALL of DCS? And anything that uses DCS libraries?
Don't derail another topic with your off-topic questions, please.
Right, sorry.

Um, I was going to ask,

KermM, did I find the right lines of code that determine the memory requirement?

Code:
Search "FFF" (2 hits in 1 file)
  C:\Users\Toshiba Admin\Documents\Ti Calculator(s)\Games\msd8x-0.95\src\msd8x.zws (2 hits)
   Line 82: LNK =  -r EXTIO %0 : %FFFFF
   Line 84: LNK =  -r ROM %4000 : %FFFF

The code in the msd8x.zws file:

Code:
[LNK SETTINGS]
#begin
LNK =  -a -g -m -q
LNK =  -N 'MemVars'
LNK =  -l MemVars '%8A3A'
LNK =  -o ROM Header,Main,TextSpace
LNK =  -r EXTIO %0 : %FFFFF
LNK =  -r INTIO %0 : %FF
LNK =  -r ROM %4000 : %FFFF
#end
That's not assembly code; that's text parsed by the Zilog Developer Studio software presumably when it is building the app.
what would the memory requirement code look like?
Try to find the routine for sorting and see what calls it.
Edit: Or try looking in the first couple lines of the code.
BrandonW has a new version of msd8x and usb8x in his testing projects foler..
They both work for 48KB calcs (power draw >=100mA)

The new versions now support the transferring of one-page 8xk app files (apps that are 16384 bytes on-calc)

Hopefully these two programs will continue to get better and better!
GinDiamond wrote:
BrandonW has a new version of msd8x and usb8x in his testing projects foler..
They both work for 48KB calcs (power draw >=100mA)

The new versions now support the transferring of one-page 8xk app files (apps that are 16384 bytes on-calc)

Hopefully these two programs will continue to get better and better!

Oh, yay! I remember trying both of those years ago, but they didn't work for me (probably because of the RAM page count). And the ability to transfer APPS is great as well!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours