LuxenD wrote:
nice idea with the splash, great graphics. though i wonder: how did you make this into grayscale?

I did a lot of tweaking in GIMP to get a super-high-contrast image, including recoloring the hydralisk in a separate layer and removing the highlights from the title, and then applied a posterization filter with 2 levels, desaturated it using the "average" option, then downsized it with no interpolation. Final generation of the 83+ friendly image was done with RIGConverter (part of the RIGView toolset).

Personally, I think cross compiling for Doors CS and my MacPorts environment is the more interesting bit of this experiment so far.
oh. you went ultra fancy with it. i usually just pull a bitmap through Image Studio 2 and try to adjust contrast and brightness accordingly.
Similar process, but Gimp gives you a lot of fine-grained control.
Quote:
Also, the SDCC linker seems to have gotten confused as I've added additional files to the project and seems to only separate code and data within each object file, but not in the final project. I'm not sure if this is a fundamental limitation, or if I just need to use trickier command line flags.
Yup, SDCC is dumb that way. I separate each function into a separate source file and it works out in the end.
AHelper wrote:
Quote:
Also, the SDCC linker seems to have gotten confused as I've added additional files to the project and seems to only separate code and data within each object file, but not in the final project. I'm not sure if this is a fundamental limitation, or if I just need to use trickier command line flags.
Yup, SDCC is dumb that way. I separate each function into a separate source file and it works out in the end.

I've pulled my static data into it's own sourcefile, but the static libraries I'm linking against still get plopped after it. I think the solution there is just that I'm going to have to write my own libraries anyway, and link them as object files instead of static libraries.
Double post. This is useful and worth bumping for. Mostly because I actually did productive things today. One is this:

The other is this:
I'm interested to see what your video is, but "This video contains content from UMG, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds." *quiet seething*

Looks like useful planning, though.
Replacing the audio! Smile Gimme a minute.

[edit]

Should be updated and EMI-copyright free Smile
Much better. It looks like we both had similar ideas about using a single Makefile to target several systems (which I'm doing with pLemmings).

Since you're building it in C now, what are the chances of a Prizm port too?
Tari wrote:
Much better. It looks like we both had similar ideas about using a single Makefile to target several systems (which I'm doing with pLemmings).

Since you're building it in C now, what are the chances of a Prizm port too?

I don't see why it couldn't happen, but the multiplayer would be inhibited by a lack of gCn connectivity (I presume you'd be limited to AI and hotseat multiplayer), and I've never actually written anything for Prizm, so I'm unfamiliar with the graphics routines and options available for UI building. I'd certainly be open to letting someone write a platform layer though.
Another double post, but this is another actual update.
Quote:
Building Mechanics
Standard Catan Contains:
• 15 roads
• 5 Settlements
• 4 Cities (total 13 points in production buildings, and a total construction cost 5*4 + 4 * (4 + 5) = 56 resources, plus road costs)

and:
• 14 Soldiers, 5 VP, 2 road building, 2 monopoly, 2 year of plenty (.56, .2, .24 of the deck, respectively)
• Longest Road (2 points)
• Largest Army (2 points)
• Tiles: 3 Hills, 3 Mountains, 4 Fields, 4 Woods, 4 Pasture, 1 Desert
• Ports: 4 3:1, 1 of each resource, total 9
• 19 of each resource

Target Score: 10

non-Race Specific Building Info for SoK:
• 20 Soldiers, 7 VP, 4 monopoly, 4 year of plenty (.57, .2, .23 of the deck, respectively). These still cost 3 resources each.
• 5 Research cards for each race. These cost 5 resources each. 
Largest Army (2 points)
• Tiles: 3 Ore Fields, 3 Geysers, 4 Farmlands, 4 Bogs, 4 Deserts, 1 Argus Prison 
Ports: 4 3:1, 1 of each resource specific 2:1, total 9
• 30 of each resource (6 of each of which go in the reserve pile, a mechanic I'm borrowing from Starfarers)
• As always, all production structures must be separated by at least 2 edges.

Target Score: 15

SoK Resource/Tile Naming:
• Hills/Bricks (B) -> Geysers/Vespene Gas (V)
• Mountains/Ore (O) -> Ore Fields/Metallic Ore (O)
• Fields/Grain (G) -> Farmland/Food (F)
• Woods/Lumber (W) -> Bog/Carbon (C)
• Pasture/Wool (S) -> Desert/Silicon (S)
• Desert/None -> Void Chasm/None

Development Cards:
1V/1S/1F each.

Zerg:
Numerous and relentless, the Swarm expands quickly. Creep tumors can be built more quickly than roads. However Zerg players have no upgrades available for their Hatcheries, and must completely infest a hex in order to receive an economic boost: a hex which is surrounded by 3 Hatcheries produces 4 resources and provides an additional victory point.
• 1 Hatchery available, 0 points, production multiplier of 1. May only be constructed once.
• 1 Lair - 1 point, production multiplier of 2. 5 resource (1F/1S/3V) upgrade from Hatchery. May only be constructed once.
• 1 Hive - 2 points, production multiplier of 3. 6 resource (2F/2C/2O) upgrade from Lair.
• 8 Nydus Worms, for 3 resources each. Nydus worms subtract 1 unit of production (after multipliers).
• 22 creep highways, 3 resources each. (2F/1C) Creep segments which are separated from a hatchery/lair/hive or nydus worm by enemy building die immediately (however they may be rebuilt elsewhere). 1 half point each.
• 13 points available from buildings, for a cost bracket of [25,39] + 11 resources = [36,50] resources, plus rebuilding costs.
• Begin with 1 Hatchery and 9 creep highway

Protoss:
Ancient and powerful, Protoss structures are expensive, but provide many benefits. Pylons may be placed at any intersection, and need not be connected to the existing Protoss power grid, however each Nexus must be constructed within 1 edge of a Pylon. Nexuses may be upgraded twice for a total of three tiers of production buildings.
• 3 Nexuses, for 4 resources (10/1F/1C/1S) each (and 1 point/1 production).
• 2 Temples, as a 4 resource (2V/1C/1S) upgrade from a Nexus (2 points/2 production)
• 2 Ziggurats, as a 5 resource (2V/2O/1S) upgrade from a Temple (3 points/3 production) (total 13 points in production buildings, and a total construction cost of 3*4 + 2*(4+4) + 2*(4+4+5) - 8 for startup = 46 resources plus pylon costs)
• 10 Pylons, for 4 resources (1O/1V/2C) each.
• Begin with 2 Pylons and 2 Nexuses.

Terran:
Resourceful and inventive, Terrans are the most like classic Catanian settlers. Your settlements are now "Command Centers". They may be upgraded into either an Orbital Command, which receives extra resources, or a Planetry Fortress, which can harvest even from those hexes which are afflicted by a Hybrid*.
• 5 Command Centers, for 4 resources (1O/1F/1C/1S) each (and 1 point/1 production)
• 4 Orbital Commands, as a 5 resource (2S/1C/2V) upgrade from a Nexus (2 points/2 production)
• 4 Planetary Fortresses, as a 5 resource (3O/2C) upgrade from a Nexus (2 points/1 production, allows all of owners production buildings on neighboring hexes to harvest from those hexes even when afflicted by a Hybrid*)
• May not have more than 4 total Orbital Commands and Planetary Fortresses. (total 13 points in production buildings, and a total construction cost 5*4 + 4 * (4 + 5) - 8 for startup = 48 resources, plus road costs)
• 15 Roads, for 2 resources (1O/1C) each.
• Begin with 2 Roads and 2 Command Centers

Upgrade Mechanics:
Intro
In addition to the usual set of generic development cards, each players of each race have the option to invest in specific research to benefit their race. Tier 1 tech costs 3 resources (1V/1S/1F). Tier 2 tech costs 4 resources (1C/1S/2O). Tier 3 tech costs 5 resources (1C/2S/2V). A player must always have at least as many Tier 1 technologies researched as Tier 2, and more Tier 2 technologies researched than Tier 3.

P - (Goal: Increase resource efficiency)
• T1: Hardened Shields - Only discard 1/3 of resources (rounded down), beginning at 9 cards, when 7 is rolled.
• T1: Warp-in Resources - If no resources were received this turn, draw 1 resource of your choice.
• T2: Guardian Shield - Hybrid*-afflicted tiles only lose 1 unit of production, rather than all production.
• T2: Khaydarin Amulet - Protoss player may play soldier development cards on the turn they are received, and between the end of any player's turn and the following dice roll
• T3: Transmutation - Protoss player have the option to exchange all resources at rates of 3:2 and 2:1 (exchanged sets must still be matching).

T - (Goal: Increase Flexibility)
• T1: Raiding Party - May take a resource from any player on non-7 rolls when no resources are otherwise received.
• T1: Stim Pack - All development cards may be played on the turn they are received, and up to two development cards may be played in a turn.
• T2: Lift-off - May relocate Orbital Commands and Command Centers within your existing road-network at a cost of 1 Vespene resource per relocated structure (during building phase).
• T2: Lock-Down - May prevent building on a specified intersection at a cost of 2 resources (1V/1F) for 1 full cycle of turns (during building phase).
• T3: Modular Nanosteel - May bypass the spacing restrictions between Terran production buildings. Terran buildings may now be placed on up to 3 consecutive intersections.

Z - (Goal: Increase Production)
• T1: Brood Synergy - increase infested tile resource production (+1 per hex, after multipliers)
• T1: Assimilate Natives - increase biological resource production (+1 per hex, after multipliers)
• T2: Chitinous Plating - Each Zerg soldier development card contributes an extra 3rd towards largest army
• T2: Tunneling Jaws - Nydus worms can be constructed off creep.
• T3: Metabolic Boost - Creep tumors now cost only 1 resource (1F).

*The traditional "Robber" is being replaced by a terrifying Protoss/Zerg Hybrid monstrosity.

The only thing I'm really concerned about is that Zerg isn't going to be well balanced against the other two with it's particularly unique building mechanics, but at least in my mind it feels like there are reasonable tradeoffs and decisions to be made for all 3 races.

Any thoughts?
Are you using the latest build of SDCC, or are you using the revision number I suggested before the optralloc branch merged?
AHelper wrote:
Are you using the latest build of SDCC, or are you using the revision number I suggested before the optralloc branch merged?
More importantly, is this going to be done by the deadline in four and a half days? I certainly hope so!
I hope so too, we'll see what happens.
Semi-Custom Tileset (Click for higher resolution)

• Geyser

Produces Vespene Gas.
  • Mineral Fields

Produces Minerals.
  • Farmland

Produces Food.
  • Desert

Produces Silicon.
  • Bog

Produces Carbon.
  • Argus Prison

Contains the Hybrid Monstrosity until the first 7 is rolled.
Sorry for the double posts, it's for organizational purposes on my part.

Semi-Custom Resource Cards. As before, click for higher resolutions.

• Vespene Gas

• Silicon

• Minerals

• Food

• Carbon

elfprince13 wrote:
Semi-Custom Tileset (Click for higher resolution)

• Geyser

Produces Vespene Gas.
  • Mineral Fields

Produces Minerals.

[...]

How will you have color tiles on a 84+???? Shock

Joking aside, this seems kinda promising. I hope you have time to finish it for the contest. Nice to see you are still doing calc stuff (I think your last release was in 2007, right?)
DJ_O wrote:
How will you have color tiles on a 84+???? Shock

I think you missed the cross-platform development talk on the last page Smile The work I've done is on a C program that compiles for both 84+ and standard PC (Mac/Windows/Linux) OSes.

Quote:
I think your last release was in 2007, right?

haha, heck if I know. That would have been my Junior spring/Senior fall of high school, so sounds about right.

Also, thanks for breaking my posting spree. Like before, click for the high res versions. The numbers represent the upgrade tier (as previously described).

• Zerg Upgrade Chips

• Terran Upgrade Chips

• Protoss Upgrade Chips

If you want to print your own chips and tiles to play in real life, here are a couple of PDF versions which should be the same dimensions as real Settlers.
And this is probably the last post before the contest closes. Here are the partially-customized development cards which are allowed in SoK. These are all the same as their Catanian equivalents, but note that there is no Road Building card (or Longest Road bonus), and they appear in larger numbers than in a Catan development cards deck. As before, click to enlarge.

• Year of Plenty

• Victory Point

• Soldier

• Monopoly

[edit]

And here are some preliminary models, in SketchUp format. I think these ought to be ShapeWays friendly, but I'm not 100% sure. Download Models and Download Resource and Development Cards
Here's my full submission to contest #9: Click me

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours