aeTIos wrote:
Oh please say those teachers not to upload their quadratic solvers to ticalc.org... D:
Why not? Many young beginner programmers upload theirs; why should we treat enthusiastic (adult) teachers any differently? They should be encouraged to continue coding, even if we might not use the products of their earliest explorations.
Well, it depends if Ticalc.org still accepts new quadratic solvers at all. From 2004 until directories got split, they stopped allowing them. Afterward they did, but a lot have been uploaded since then, so we never know.
DJ_O wrote:
Well, it depends if Ticalc.org still accepts new quadratic solvers at all. From 2004 until directories got split, they stopped allowing them. Afterward they did, but a lot have been uploaded since then, so we never know.
Yep, they still accept them. I am of course going to be marketing my book as part of my talk (which the TI people know already), but I'll also invite the attendees to stop by Cemetech with thoughts and questions, and to share their work with the community here and at ticalc.org.
As was said earlier getting teacher's to suggest programming to students is a good idea. I remember in 7th grade my math teacher helped me make a very basic guessing game, this I tweaked with and got interested in making more stuff. I really hope Kerm can help persuade several or more teachers into telling students about it, that might spark a programming revolution (; Great job Kerm and good luck, wish I could attend. Maybe tell someone while your there to bring the conference to Utah. (;
zeldaking wrote:
As was said earlier getting teacher's to suggest programming to students is a good idea. I remember in 7th grade my math teacher helped me make a very basic guessing game, this I tweaked with and got interested in making more stuff. I really hope Kerm can help persuade several or more teachers into telling students about it, that might spark a programming revolution (; Great job Kerm and good luck, wish I could attend. Maybe tell someone while your there to bring the conference to Utah. (;

Yes, I would definitely have to agree with this. I guess the reason I brought up the "algorithmic thinking" bit at all is because I misunderstood what was going on and thought that you were advocating making programming an integral part of math education, which doesn't work simply because not everyone is a programmer. There is no reason, however, not to open the door to people and nourish their understanding of it, either as a well made suggestion to students (perhaps telling them about it and asking if they're interested) or as an alternate course offering - the sort of thing you'd do in an Honors class.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours