KermMartian wrote:
On the contrary, it seems most people's views align with Green/Libertarian ideals first and Democrats second, as I would expect from an intelligent, scientifically-keen, socially-liberal community like Cemetech.

Intelligent: Personally, I would expect an intelligent community to not claim one set of parties or beliefs as "superior" in such a decisive, ignorant way.

Scientifically Keen: There are MANY issues where Democrats/Greens/Libertarians are behind par when it comes to scientific reasoning and acceptance; I'm not sure why they're suddenly the "enlightened" ones.

Socially-Liberal: On the contrary, there are many members here who are very socially-conservative here; from what I've observed, they definitely aren't a small minority, and may not be a minority at all.

... what a welcoming, open-minded community, eh?
Ashbad wrote:
Scientifically Keen: There are MANY issues where Democrats/Greens/Libertarians are behind par when it comes to scientific reasoning and acceptance; I'm not sure why they're suddenly the "enlightened" ones.
I don't want to get this too off-topic, but historically conservatives have been the ones to push religion into legislation and education, leading to debacles such as global warming denial, mandates about not teaching evolution and/or teaching creationism, and similar anti-scientific thought.
Ashbad wrote:
Intelligent: Personally, I would expect an intelligent community to not claim one set of parties or beliefs as "superior" in such a decisive, ignorant way.

Keep it friendly. If you disagree, make positive assertions, not negative ones.

Quote:

The Greens and the Democrats and the left are terrible on one set of science issues, the Republicans, the right, and, to a lesser extent the libertarians, on a different set.

Quote:

I don't want to get this too off-topic, but historically conservatives have been the ones to push religion into legislation and education, leading to debacles such as global warming denial, mandates about not teaching evolution and/or teaching creationism, and similar anti-scientific thought.

And the left are the ones to push eco-hysteria as religious faith in legislation. Anti-vaccination, anti-nuclear power, anti-GMO, etc. It goes both way.

I think many people prefer Romney based on his executive and managerial experience taking financial responsibility (the Olympics, Massachusetts, corporate experience), rather than any policy issue.
elfprince13 wrote:
Keep it friendly. If you disagree, make positive assertions, not negative ones.

It's not an assertion; it's how it comes across to a general, conservative reader, specifically one who likes to view the site as being a non-partisan, non-political community. It's a bit irking to see that one side of the isle painted as "intelligent, scientifically-keen", etc. and the other side as the opposite by the staff, especially when there's a lot of "intelligent", "scientifically-keen" members here who don't fit that mold.
Kerm does not represent the staff as a whole, nor does his opinion reflect that of the site as a whole. He's allowed to have his opinions without it being a reflection of everyone on the site, and to think otherwise is hyperbolic synecdoche. To imply that he's not just as entitled to hold an opinion as anyone else on the site because he's the owner is ludicrous, as is implying that just because Kerm said it, the rest of the staff agrees.
Elfprince is the one moderating this topic as staff; I'm participating as a member. I made a generalization based on my viewpoint of the membership after years of reading through the often-vitriolic Politics threads. Also, I believe I painted the membership as scientifically-keen as intelligent, not any political party:
KermMartian wrote:
...as I would expect from an intelligent, scientifically-keen, [...] community like Cemetech.

Edit: ninja'd by Merth, who said it better.
Ashbad wrote:
It's not an assertion; it's how it comes across to a general, conservative reader, specifically one who likes to view the site as being a non-partisan, non-political community. It's a bit irking to see that one side of the isle painted as "intelligent, scientifically-keen", etc. and the other side as the opposite by the staff, especially when there's a lot of "intelligent", "scientifically-keen" members here who don't fit that mold.

I think the observation was that our community is intelligent, and scientifically keen. Not that a particular political party is. There's pretty good evidence that people with more education and more scientific training tend to be less conservative. That doesn't mean that there can't be individuals who break the mold, and that our community members aren't among them. You'll notice, for example, that I tend to be right wing on a number of issues, and also probably have the most training in the physical sciences of any of our members.

But let's keep this on the topic of who you voted for and why, or I'll start deleting posts.
My results:

Romney: 93%
Goode: 87%
Johnson: 83%
Obama: 31%

KermMartian wrote:
Ashbad wrote:

Yecch, Cemetech's leader's true colors just came out. They usually have a pleasant habit of staying hidden (as in, where he himself noted it was off-topic).

Kerm, this is why I wouldn't go to College to save my life.

And what made you think - no, I am not the admin so I can't go that direction. Sad My family votes Constitution or Ron Paul.

qazz42 wrote:

Robamney gets only about 11% of me.

I like that: "Robamney". I actually have called him "Obamney". Razz
CalebHansberry wrote:
Yecch, Cemetech's leader's true colors just came out. They usually have a pleasant habit of staying hidden (as in, where he himself noted it was off-topic).
Politics is not generally relevant to programming, computers, and hardware development, so I try to avoid the religion and politics topics we have. They get awfully full of angry posts, and people tend to take things personally.

Quote:
Kerm, this is why I wouldn't go to College to save my life.
I formed my views far before I went to college. They don't brainwash you in college.

Quote:
And what made you think - no, I am not the admin so I can't go that direction. Sad My family votes Constitution or Ron Paul.
That's reasonable enough. I know we have a lot of Ron Paul supporters here at Cemetech.
Wait--what? Why does him being the owner of the site matter? Why do people not think he's entitled to express his opinion as much as any other member of the site? It's not like his opinions become the de facto opinions of the rest of us. There are things I disagree with him about, as well as elfprince, tifreak, tari, and jonimus. As I said in my other post (where all this was already covered...):
merthsoft wrote:
Kerm does not represent the staff as a whole, nor does his opinion reflect that of the site as a whole. He's allowed to have his opinions without it being a reflection of everyone on the site, and to think otherwise is hyperbolic synecdoche. To imply that he's not just as entitled to hold an opinion as anyone else on the site because he's the owner is ludicrous, as is implying that just because Kerm said it, the rest of the staff agrees.

Quote:
They usually have a pleasant habit of staying hidden
But your allowed to state yours?

This is crazy.

elfprince wrote:

But let's keep this on the topic of who you voted for and why, or I'll start deleting posts.
Yikes!
Shaun, you are wrong! I don't mind Christopher Mitchell stating his opinion like everone else! What I am saying is, as I said in the SAX widget, he doesn't usually choose to state his opinion on Cemetech, thus it is more startling to me.
"But your allowed to state yours?" I like my opinion, you know...
(back on track please, if you want to resolve any outstanding questions about personal disagreements in this thread, please use the PM function)
If you had just been surprised, it would've gone something more like "I'm surprised you've stated your opinion, as you don't normally!" You're just backpedaling now--your first post clearly showed that you were not just surprised, but disapproved of him doing so (using words like "yecch" (used to express contempt or disgust) and saying "They usually have a pleasant habit of staying hidden").
These are here to be read, so all participants in the conversation know where everyone else stands. If you want to continue the conversation, use PMs. Not to be discussed further on public forum space.
Sad
the main topic is still open.
There's still no "I didn't vote" option, though Wink
Bad tifreak8x; you should know better than to post giant image memes. Smile
lol but just this one time, in this locked thread, and the encouragement of merth Very Happy Admit it, you chuckled.

Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours