I'm just going to journal it down here as I go just incase I get lost, distracted or something, and so people can see how I'm doing...If it belongs in general instead of here just let me know Very Happy

So yesterday was "hello world" and today was "the components of a z80" and basically all I've learned is use this template no matter what

Code:

.nolist
    #include    "ti83plus.inc"
.list
.org    $9D93
.db    t2ByteTok, tAsmCmp
    Your program goes here.
.end
.end
I hope you're being hyperboleic, and you're taking away more than that. That template is decent, but you should have learned a lot more than that!
Honestly Kerm I am not sure that I did, I learned that .db is database and that .org is an organizational file, bcalls are syscalls for the ti series that load from ROM, Ret goes back to the OS, ld and Hl are the values from the left and right most code numbers ex: 1100110, 1 is the hl and 0 is the ld. #define is where in RAM to store the program, and #include tells it what goes with it?
The_Coded wrote:
Honestly Kerm I am not sure that I did, I learned that .db is database and that .org is an organizational file, bcalls are syscalls for the ti series that load from ROM, Ret goes back to the OS, ld and Hl are the values from the left and right most code numbers ex: 1100110, 1 is the hl and 0 is the ld. #define is where in RAM to store the program, and #include tells it what goes with it?
There are a few ...inaccuracies... in that.

Quote:
I learned that .db is database and that .org is an organizational file
.db is "data byte(s)", and .dw is "data word(s)". .org is short for "origin", and defines the starting address for commands and data following that command.

Quote:
Ret goes back to the OS
ret returns from any routine into whatever routine called it. If you call it from the main routine of your program, you will return to the OS. But if you call routine B from routine A, ret goes back to routine A.

Quote:
ld and Hl are the values from the left and right most code numbers ex: 1100110, 1 is the hl and 0 is the ld
I'm not even sure what you're saying here. ld is a command, "load"; HL is a register pair, H and L; H and L each hold 8 bits for a combined 16-bit value.

Quote:
#define is where in RAM to store the program, and #include tells it what goes with it?
#define is essentially like creating a find-and-replace pattern. #include tells the program to pull in other definitions and code from other files.
I'm just not comprehending the data then :/ more reading tonight Very Happy...section 3 will kill me if I can't grasp this
The_Coded wrote:
I'm just not comprehending the data then :/ more reading tonight Very Happy...section 3 will kill me if I can't grasp this
Once more, remember to write code as you go. You can never learn languages in a vacuum without reading and writing tons of code. In fact, I recommend just reading/writing code and not reading any tutorials if you'd have to choose between the two.
O_O but on day 1 it's literally just about making it say something, and day 2 it's explaining the .db .org #include #define ret ld hl...How do I do anything with that? I've written plenty of text message lines on the day 1 thing. maybe I"m just not understanding what you're meaning, any specific recommendations?
Gee, I wonder if I could learn ASM in 28 days? What The_Coded got wrong sounds very intimidating, although it sounds nice to (in this case) essentially having one of the world's greatest TI-83+ ASM programmers checking your work.
The_Coded wrote:
O_O but on day 1 it's literally just about making it say something, and day 2 it's explaining the .db .org #include #define ret ld hl...How do I do anything with that? I've written plenty of text message lines on the day 1 thing. maybe I"m just not understanding what you're meaning, any specific recommendations?
Well, nothing for those two days, but if you start glancing at any old relatively simple z80 ASM code, you'll start to get a feel for the new commands you'll be learning in the coming days.

Caleb: It's really not intimidating at all. By the way, The_Coded, glance through the z80 ASM chapter in my book when it arrives, and see if that helps at all.
I shall...as soon as the store orders it...I like 18.99 at B&N but I'm about to cancel and pay the 25 for the amazon...because B&N don't seem to be getting around to even processing it

edit: I think also I'll look at z80 pong to see if maybe I can understand it better while going through the ASM in 28 days
Good idea. Amazon has the book for about $20 too, at least on the US version of the site, by the way.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours