This is an introductory topic to discuss matters in while we negotiate publishers.
Good idea!
Here's the latest I heard from my contact at Manning, from October 3rd:
Quote:
Hi Christopher,

Good to hear from you. I had a lovely summer, and in fact just got back from a trip to Spain and France. It was my first visit to continental Europe, and a great experience. I returned home to beautiful fall weather-- autumn in Wisconsin is my favorite time of year.

I think our agent at Waterside should follow up with Wiley (and their other French contacts) and I will ask them to do so. Is there a specific person Robin has been in touch with there?

Best,
Megan
My response to them:
Quote:
Megan,

Last October I visited Portugal, my first trip to Europe, and I enjoyed it greatly. Your trip sounds quite pleasant indeed. I have copied my latest email from Robin below; it seems Jean-Luc Blanc is the current contact person, but that Jean-Baptiste Guges will be returning further info. In addition, I wanted to mention that two other French-speaking calculator community members, Adrien Bertrand from France and Julien Savard from Canada, have expressed interest in contributing some time either in translating or proofreading.

Thanks,
Christopher Mitchell

------
Christopher,

here is the mail i received. Translation:

Good morning,

we are currently studying your idea. An answer will be given to you by Jean-Baptiste Gugès.
It's a good idea to quote the emails Wink I haven't received any email yet, but i hope we'll have an answer at the end of the week..
Neo wrote:
It's a good idea to quote the emails Wink I haven't received any email yet, but i hope we'll have an answer at the end of the week..
Same here, and I shall of course mention if I hear anything new from my end.
*bump* An update (an unfortunate one) from my contact at Manning. Anything from any of you?
Quote:
Hi Christopher,

I checked in with our agent. They have promoted the title to all of their French publishing contacts, including Wiley-Dunod, but unfortunately none of them has shown solid interest in producing a translation. I notice that Wiley has Dummies books on the TI-83 and TI-84. This is speculation on my part, but even though they are dated and in English, they may worry that publishing a translation might cannibalize their own sales. (Or maybe they feel their own sales of those titles are not strong enough.)

So many Europeans speak and read English that publishers there can be vary wary of doing a translation. They have to be convinced that there is a large enough market for it. Sometimes the existence of even one competing native-language book will be enough to scare them away. I'm not sure if there was a directly competing work on that list of French titles?

Other publishers may be waiting to see a longer history of Bookscan sales figures for your book before making a final decision. Although strong English-language sales are not always enough to convince foreign publishers that there is an equally strong local market, it sometimes helps. Of course, they may just not have enough room in their budgets to translate everything they'd like to.

If the buzz in the French community persists, and if our sales look good to them, we may yet find a taker.

Best,
Megan
Nothing from Dunod Sad
I emailed someone at Hachette Education, which published 3 books about the TI-Nspire, sending this:
Quote:
Bonjour,

je suis modérateur sur TI-Planet.org, communauté francophone des utilisateurs de calculatrices graphiques, et un ouvrage américain intitulé "Programming The TI-83+/84+" (plus d'informations ici: http://manning.com/mitchell/) est sorti il y a peu. Ecrit par l'administrateur d'une des communautés anglophones, il n'en existe aucun équivalent en France.
En effet, malgré l'introduction à l'algorithmique en classe de Seconde, aucun livre à jour ne traite de la programmation sur calculatrice (excepté des livres vieux de 10 ans).
Nous souhaiterions savoir si Hachette Education pouvait publier ce livre en France.
En effet, après la publication des 3 ouvrages dédiés à l'utilisation de la TI-Nspire, la publication d'un tel ouvrage permettrait de diversifier les modèles de calculatrices concernées, étant donné la rareté des TI-Nspire au lycée.
Malgré le titre qui évoque uniquement les TI-83+ et TI-84+, le livre s'adresse aussi aux propriétaires des TI-82Stats.fr (modèle présent uniquement en France et à l'heure actuelle majoritaire)

Cordialement.

Robin COLLET.
Great, that's good progress. I'll look forward to seeing if they get back to you soon. I can mention that I've begun discussing a few things with Texas Instruments, so maybe I can ask them about possible publishers in France too.
No news from Hachette, I'll send another mail as soon as possible..
Neo wrote:
No news from Hachette, I'll send another mail as soon as possible..
Thanks, I look forward to hearing what you discover. I hope Dunod changes their tune; from what I've been able to gather from my French friends, they would be the best candidate.
Still no answer Sad i don't think a french version is possible :/
Neo wrote:
Still no answer Sad i don't think a french version is possible :/
I will poke my Translations Editor once more, now that the book has been out for over three months. Hopefully they'll be able to take another pass at Dunod and friends.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours