This is half the duration for a legal bump, technically, but I have substantive contents to add to this topic. On geekboy's request, I want to quickly document the protocol that the Arduino in an Arduino-based gCn system uses to communicate with the gCn client:

General Notes
:: The client expects a serial speed of 115200 baud.
:: The client will reset when the Arduino initializes itself and sends ":RESETs\n" (\n is a newline character)
:: Other than the 's' echo character discussed in the next section and the ":RESETs\n" message, all Computer -> Arduino frame contents bytes (ie, the two-byte prolog, recipient, sender, size, data, and one-byte footer) are all send as twoASCII characters. For example, a message from calculator [0101010101] to [0202020202] with one content byte of 0xAA would look like this (but without the spaces):
Code:
"FF89 02020202020101010101 0100 2A"

Computer -> Arduino Protocol
:: No differentiation is made between direct and broadcast frames.
:: Packets from the computer to the Arduino always start with the two decimal bytes 255, 137 (ie, the ASCII-encoded hex string "FF89". Any buffer contents not prefaced with those two bytes are flushed out, and as the Arduino pulls bytes out and discards them, any 's' characters it reads makes it respond with an 's' character.
:: If the packet from the computer to the Arduino is prefaced with the proper 2 bytes, the remainder of the packet is first 5 bytes of recipient address and 5 bytes of sender address. Next is 2 bytes of the data length. This is not formatted the same as canonical CALCnet. The low 7 bits of the first byte are the least significant 7 bits of the size, and the low 7 bits of the second byte are the most significant 7 bits of the size. Therefore, a 129-byte CALCnet frame would have size bytes 0x01, 0x01 (rather than 0x81, 0x00). You must mask off the lower 7 bits of each byte. Why? Because RS232 has a bad habit of stripping of the most significant bit of bytes.
:: After the size comes the actual contents, (size) bytes worth.
:: The packet ends with a decimal 42 (ie, the string "2A"), which means you should stop pulling data out of the serial buffer.

Arduino -> Computer Protocol
:: As with the computer -> Arduino protocol, all address, size, and data bytes are send as ASCII-encoded nibbles.
:: Any literal "f\n" string sent from the Arduino to the computer means a receive error occurred in the middle of the frame. All data received from that frame so far by the computer should be discarded.
:: All frames sent to the computer start with a literal '|' (pipe) character
:: Next 10 bytes are the 5 sender address bytes, encoded as ASCII. This is the opposite of CALCnet frames, where the receiver address is sent first.
:: This is followed by a literal '.' (period).
:: Next 10 bytes are the 5 receiver address bytes, encoded as ASCII.
:: This is followed by a literal ',' (comma).
:: Next are two bytes of size. See above for how 14 bits of address are distributed as 7 bits each in two bytes.
:: This is followed by a literal ':' (colon)
:: Now all the data, each byte encoded as two ASCII characters.
:: Next, a '>', but ONLY if a checksum was received for this frame.
:: Finally, a "\n" newline.

Fun Fact: If you run the gCn Client in verbose (-v) mode, you can see all this going back and forth!
yay samples Very Happy https://img.ourl.ca/rfg/2012-10-12%2016-00-49.783.jpg

Also i'll try to get something done with that info sooner then later ^^
geekboy1011 wrote:
yay samples Very Happy https://img.ourl.ca/rfg/2012-10-12%2016-00-49.783.jpg

Also i'll try to get something done with that info sooner then later ^^
Very nice. Let me know if you have any questions, but it should be pretty straightforward. And Tari is making progress on the board, from what I hear.
Made additional progress on the layout tonight. Need to hammer out a BOM and update footprints accordingly, especially for the more unusual passives.

And my schematic:
That looks great, Tari! I spy the micro-USB port, the jumper for the battery, the 3 main ICs, and I'm assuming the thing that looks like a link port is indeed a link port. Where have you chosen to connect the link port to the MPU? Also, do you think it's feasible, once we build and test this, to design a TI-84+/SE version that plugs into both I/O and USB to steal power and forego the battery entirely?
Progress on this looks great! One thing I notice is that nowhere in the board is my name etched Wink
merthsoft wrote:
Progress on this looks great! One thing I notice is that nowhere in the board is my name etched Wink
We're saving the silkscreen on the back of the board for that; don't worry.
This looks boss. Very Happy
KermMartian wrote:
Where have you chosen to connect the link port to the MPU?
Those signals go through the chip immediately to the right of the port (the level shifter) and up into the micro from there.

KermMartian wrote:
Also, do you think it's feasible, once we build and test this, to design a TI-84+/SE version that plugs into both I/O and USB to steal power and forego the battery entirely?
Yeah. I expect further revisions at some point to make the form factor friendlier, and layout should be pretty easy on such a pared-down version since we can drop a lot of extra power supply hardware.
Awesome, thanks! Also, I just read the Ohararp, Inc page again, and I realize that they reopen on October 21st, they don't close on the 21st. Smile So we're looking good for ordering PCBs and stencils at the end of the month-ish, I guess? I also need to find me a toaster oven and get practicing on toaster oven reflow. Which means I need to get this DX order ordered so I'll have solder paste and flux.
Guess I read that wrong sorry Kerm lol. And yeah I need to place my dx order soon as well. Tho mine has stuff for like 3 projects im working on >.<
geekboy1011 wrote:
Guess I read that wrong sorry Kerm 0x5. And yeah I need to place my dx order soon as well. Tho mine has stuff for like 3 projects im working on >.<
Mind sharing your full list of parts so that we can compare notes?

Code:

SKU    Product Name    Quantity    Price    Line Total    Options
144191    2.54mm 1x40 Pin Breakaway Straight Male Header (10-Piece Pack)
-   +    $2.70    $2.70    
132805    TitleLead Repair 0.1mm Soldering Enameled Wire (20M)
-   +    $1.60    $1.60    
26807    Repair Parts Replacement Game Cart Slot for NDS Lite
-   +    $2.10    $2.10    
20583    AMT Amtech Professional Soldering Flux (10ml)
-   +    $3.61    $3.61    
19869    WeiTus Stainless Steel Precision Angled Tweezers
-   +    $2.52    $2.52    
06518    Multimeter Test Leads (75cm / Red + Black Leads)
-   +    $1.66    $1.66    

Thats my entire shopping order as of now. Has some stuff I personally need in it as well. anything you think I should add?
You'll need female micro-USB sockets for our boards, but that's something you can get in less quantity for a decent price at Mouser, Digikey, or wherever we end up getting our discrete SMT components.
Yeah I'll look at obtaining some of those another day. they are available enough. Anything else I might want to nab or should I just order it lol

Tari was looking at the schematic. Check your radio chip we are using a CC430F5135 not a CC4306xxx not sure if it makes a difference but yeah just making sure.
I would hope the pinout is about the same between the two, but good eye catching that, geekboy. I can't think of anything else you could or should add to that order, geekboy. My order is currently very similar, encompassing $27 of items.
Well i would hate for us to spend the money on setting these boards up to have em not work cause we used the wrong pin out lol

And alrighty ill place that order when i get home.
geekboy1011 wrote:
Well i would hate for us to spend the money on setting these boards up to have em not work cause we used the wrong pin out 0x5
For sure, that would be very annoying. I'd be more frustrated about the lost time, probably, because the $10 outlay for three boards is not extreme. Smile
Well if the chip has a slightly different size/pinout it would also be $25 for new stencils and depending on how not nice TI is more chips, but yeah I would be mad about lost time as well :/
geekboy1011 wrote:
Well if the chip has a slightly different size/pinout it would also be $25 for new stencils and depending on how not nice TI is more chips, but yeah I would be mad about lost time as well :/
I'm pretty sure they're the same package, pinout, and dimensions, but it's good to catch. Anyway. Anything new with anyone?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 6 of 9
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours