Alright, I ripped a lot of ideas off tag/portalx (charector, boxes, switches), BUT, this in many other cases is quite an original game. It is coded with Axe, 2D, non-scrolling, with pickup-able objects (boxes, guns, tramps), doors/switches, and *possibly* a level editor. I call it Axio Man! (a play off of axiom/axe)
Screenshot:

Here's the stuff that is implemented/working:

-Player movement (with physics Very Happy)
-Blocks of ice (careful, they are slippery!)
-Spikes w/ collision detection
-Pickup-able objects (Tramps, Boxes, Guns)
-Doors/switches
-Exit portal (in the top right corner in the screenie- it does not exit you yet)

Stuff that is going to be coded next:

-3 types of enemies (all do different stuff)
-Make the gun shoot
-Squashers (spikey things that come up, then go down on you (think super mario world))

...And that's all. Here's a download (includes the level from the screenie), you may want to know the controls:

2nd- Jump
Alpha- Pick up/put down boxes
Left/Right arrow keys- move
Up (While releasing a box)- throw the box up into the air
Clear- Quit

Currently it is 8000 bytes, running at 6Mhz with a pause 40, so hopefully I won't have to restrict it to 15Mhz calcs only. Smile
I like the pick-up-able/movable items; that's very nice indeed! Since it is still in beta, when it is complete, be sure to upload it to the Cemetech archives! What are the three types of enemies going to be? What sort of AI will they have?

Question (a question motivated by a possible resolution to a long-suffering project): how many hours does a project like this take to get into a working state from scratch for an experienced Axe coder, discounting level-design and spriting time? Why non-scrolling levels?
KermMartian wrote:
What are the three types of enemies going to be? What sort of AI will they have?

One just walks around, another jumps up and down, and another blows up (kamikaze) when you get close to it. But, nothing has been coded concerning these, so I am still widely open to suggestions. Smile
Quote:

Question (a question motivated by a possible resolution to a long-suffering project): how many hours does a project like this take to get into a working state from scratch for an experienced Axe coder, discounting level-design and spriting time?

I got it to this point in about 2.5 weeks, (with the level and sprites), so in theory if you were working hard enough you could get a good foundation in about a week or so.
Quote:
Why non-scrolling levels?

I figured with a lot of objects and enemies, it would 1) be too hard to implement, and 2) slow it down too much.
Update Very Happy (it has been 3 days so it is ok to doublepost, right?)
Anyways, the gun now shoots, and I implemented the squashers (remind you of super mario world? Wink ) along with a few other effects.

I'm actually reminded more of gravity duck. There are a bunch of levels where you have to get the timing *just* right, or else you start all over.
seana11 wrote:
parserp wrote:
Update Very Happy (it has been 3 days so it is ok to doublepost, right?)
Anyways, the gun now shoots, and I implemented the squashers (remind you of super mario world? Wink ) along with a few other effects.

I'm actually reminded more of gravity duck. There are a bunch of levels where you have to get the timing *just* right, or else you start all over.

I'd say that the squashers are much scarier than the ones in Super Mario World. The ones in that game were huge, but the spikes and the screen shakes on these tell me that they really mean business. I would not want to get crushed by one of those things! Smile
Question: what will the gun be used for? Will there be other monsters you have to defeat, or will the gun simply trigger switches and whatnot in the room?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours