I have an original '96 TI-92 and can't do much since it's OS is too old for my SilverLink to recognize so I want to get into the programming on the calculators! which is better to do it with, the TI-89 Titanium, or the Casio Prizm? i've got $150 so, for the money, time required to learn, and basic efficieny, which is best? oh also I will use it in my college math classes, but programming seems to be my main focus with them
The_Coded wrote:
I have an original '96 TI-92 and can't do much since it's OS is too old for my SilverLink to recognize so I want to get into the programming on the calculators!

That doesn't quite make much sense, but I'm assuming you want to pick one that would be easier to learn to program?

The TI-89 isn't a huge part of the community here at Cemetech. If you prefer the color screen and more programming options (C, C++, BASIC and I believe Lua) I would go with the Casio Prizm. We also have a growing community for it here as well.
Yes I was wondering which is best to program on, I heard that the new Nspire CX CAS is basically crap for what it does, and I'm wanting to learn programming on a calculator as its a bit more portable than a computer, plus it's something I've always wanted to do. I wish to know, which is more practical for ease of programming, because looking into it, the 89T is $144, and the prism is like $139 which I found reaaaaaly strange. I need to know which would be best for a beginner pretty much, because I haven't done BASIC in 8 years or so. And I wanted to know other than the obvious RAM and storage space/CPU differences, which one is better on the whole for programming say, animations or games Very Happy because I really think it would be neat, and a great learning experience for me
the Prizm's development for addins isn't solid yet. Things are still changing around (libfxcg) and some things aren't updated or final yet (PrizmSDK). The functions available for the Prizm is limited due to lack of documentation and for other reasons.

The m68k calcs are rather stable and mature There is plenty of documentation available for you to use.

If you want to do math-related things, even with programming, then the ti89 will be a better choice. If you want a large colored screen, then the Prizm would be the direction to head.
Well, I'm wondering on the whole from a programming aspect which would I need more, considering price wise they are 10-15$ apart, plus ease of use and all..is the prizm capable of basic, Lua and c? Or what, cause I've never heard of it..plus since I'm new to TIBasic and c/Lua, it would be a new thing to me regardless, so from that pov which is best?
If you want to know about programming, you should look around at what has been released for each. ticalc.org will show you ti89 programs, cemetech.net, omnimaga.org, etc. will show you prizm stuff. You can get a feel for what the device is currently capable of. You can also look for the documentation of functions (tigcc has documentation somewhere for the ti89, prizm.cemetech.net has info for the prizm, plus tutorials I am working on) as well as existing code.

I haven't seen any lua uses yet, although I haven't been looking for addins. About the price, :-\ Maybe the CAS and the fact that the calcs are old makes the price higher?
As a calculator to do math with, I'd prefer the 89 (I'm not a fan of the Prizm UI, really). For programmability, the 89 has better support for now, but I think the Prizm has more interesting prospects going forward, since we've just started to scratch the surface of what the hardware is capable of.
Sweet, I'm starting to lean to the prizm, as I currently have an old working ti-92 which I'll assume can do ti-basic...and the prizm since its a "new frontier" seems rather exctiting to me! It's interesting, but Wednesday is when I'm going calc shopping so that'll give me a day to look it all up, I've noticed there seems to be 2 models of the prizm as well
I am currently working on libstdc++/STL stuff for the Prizm, so if that goes through in the end, ease of programming with go up for the Prizm Smile

If you ask me which calc I would use to make a fast game that uses sprites and such? I would side with either, although more towards the ti89. If I wanted to do rapid coding, then I would use the ti89 since it has an excellent emulator with debugger that works with the TIGCC IDE, as well as automatically sending and running programs on the calc when connected. I would hate to debug stuff for the prizm since testing code quickly isn't very easy/
Yeah one is Standardized test certified, which I believe is the CG-10.
I'm not worried about standardized tests, my professor dont allow calcs of any kind on tests, just old-fashioned pen and paper -_- hmm sounds like the 89 is more practical....for now. But, can the ti-92 do the same style of basic with sprites and stuff? I don't always have pc access, And my 92 cant connect because the stupid silver link cable don't recognize it -_- but if the 92 can do it, I think the prizm might be a better learning experience, so difficulty aside, which one has the best potential for programming in theory? Prizm or 89? And assuming the prizm's ability for Basic rises with and other languages, would it be better in e long run? Also can either one use z80 assembly?
Well I'm getting both lol..prizm tomorrow, and 84+ in a week or two...that way I have a varied amount of learning Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours