I am new to this site but i have a question related to the ti 89. Every time i turn the device on it won't allow me to use any keys and it won't turn off unless i remove the batteries. Can someone give a comment on how to fix it or a link on how to fix it.
Hi Andaconda! I've split your post off from the main topic since that topic you posted under was for the TI-84, and was last active two years ago.

Regarding your issue at hand, can you provide any details? OS version, and anything that you may have installed leading up to this? Also note that we are a heavy Ti-84 community and not a lot of us are knowledgable with the 89, any info will be sparse and slow to come.
Well i bought the ti 89 used off amazon but it seemed just stock os version and i didn't install any apps or new os version.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you purchase it for? It's possible that the device was broken and was sold for cheap. It may be possible to fix if you're proficient enough with your hands, circuitry, soldering, etc and there's an adequate tutorial online.
The ti 89 was around 90 dollars and was working fine when i first got it. But then it seemed like it was just using the backup battery as the power source instead of the triple a batteries.
How long after you received the TI-89 until it started to fault out on you? Was there any rattling inside the calculator either before or after the keypad stopped working?

I assume you replaced the AAA batteries, right? I believe the small CR2016/2032 battery is purely for keeping the RAM & time when the batteries do die or you pull them out, I don't think it's actually capable of running the calculator.
I replaced the triple a batteries and the backup battery and i do have some soldering experience.
I unfortunately have no experience with the calculator hardware. Hopefully someone will chime in eventually. In the meantime feel free to join in the conversations over in SAX on the left (or ask questions, answer a few too!) and even introduce yourself! We'd love to know what, if any, projects you're working on!
well the only other project that i have been working is how to crack a wpa2 with a bruteforce method without a wpa handshake on backtrack 5 r1
Did you run any assembly programs? Is it a regular 89 or a Titanium?
It is just a ti 89 titanium and im not sure what a assembly program but if it is something you have to download my ti was just default.
Just to be sure, have you tried holding 2nd, left arrow key, right arrow key, then ON together to try to force a RAM reset? Failing that, holding (-) and ) together while inserting the AAA batteries to force a complete memory reset?

If it still doesn't work after that, then it looks like it is indeed a hardware-related fault.
ii have already tried hard reseting my ti 89 but that did not work i wanted to try to reformat the os by using the take out one of tha batteries and then hold the apps button but i do not have a usb port that connets from my calculator to my computer.
If it's a 89 Titanium, a standard male USB A <-> male mini-USB B cable will do the job for communicating with the calculator.
Otherwise, unless you have some DB9 and DB25 ports (scarce in recent computers) you'll need the cable known as SilverLink, which is fairly expensive.

But overall, your calculator doesn't seem to be in a very good shape at the moment. As Travis wrote, if a transferring a fresh OS doesn't help, the prospects are bleak...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours