I'm on Windows 7, and I installed MinGW just the other day. Unless I'm mistaken, the following syntax would be the same:

Code:
C:\>gcc hello.c -o hello.exe
C:\>hello.exe

Code:
C:\>gcc -S hello.c
C:\>as hello.s -o hello.exe
C:\>hello.exe

given hello.c:

Code:
#include <stdio.h>
main() {
printf("Hello");
}

Don't get my wrong, I'm not ruling out the idea of my being mistaken that those two CMD commands are equivalent. Anyways, the first one just compiles the C code using GCC, and the second one eats C, poops ASM, and then tries to assemble the ASM. However, the second one doesn't work - it runs but doesn't display "Hi" like the C one does.

EDIT:
OK, I run that second command again, and trying to run the executable, a pop-up comes up and says,

Code:
C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe - hello.exe
the NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction
CS:0e25 IP:001d OP:ff ff ff ff ff Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

And here's my hello.s file:

Code:
   .file   "hello.c"
   .def   ___main;   .scl   2;   .type   32;   .endef
   .section .rdata,"dr"
LC0:
   .ascii "Hi\0"
   .text
   .globl   _main
   .def   _main;   .scl   2;   .type   32;   .endef
_main:
LFB6:
   .cfi_startproc
   pushl   %ebp
   .cfi_def_cfa_offset 8
   .cfi_offset 5, -8
   movl   %esp, %ebp
   .cfi_def_cfa_register 5
   andl   $-16, %esp
   subl   $16, %esp
   call   ___main
   movl   $LC0, (%esp)
   call   _printf
   leave
   .cfi_restore 5
   .cfi_def_cfa 4, 4
   ret
   .cfi_endproc
LFE6:
   .def   _printf;   .scl   2;   .type   32;   .endef
Why are you passing hello.c back into as? I assume it'll be whatever gcc spit out, which probably isn't hello.c.
My bad, that's not what I did. Fixed.
My understanding is that as doesn't spit out executables, it spits out object files. From the man page:
Quote:
as is primarily intended to assemble the output of the GNU C compiler "gcc" for use by the linker "ld".

So you need to use ld on it, or something else to link it. Really, though, that's a lot of work, because you have to link in all the libraries it depends on. Googling around would've given you a few hits, including this:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5307462/how-to-make-executable-from-assembly-languagein-emacs
I did Google around, but I guess not with the right keywords. Anyways, thanks, I'll try that out.
The proper internal process is parser -> code generation -> assembling -> linking. The parser and code generation turn the .c file into a .s file, complete with necessary optimizations. The assembler assembles the assembly into an object file, and the linker turns that object into a properly-formatted executable. True story.
gcc -v is your friend. It emits details on what gcc (which is simply the driver that invokes the compiler, linker, etc) is doing:

Code:
[tari@Kirishima]$ gcc -v -o hello hello.c
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.7.1/lto-wrapper
Target: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
Configured with: /build/src/gcc-4.7.1/configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib                 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-b                ugurl=https://bugs.archlinux.org/ --enable-languages=c,c++,ada,fortran,go,lto,ob                jc,obj-c++ --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --with-system-zlib --enable-__                cxa_atexit --disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-clocale=gnu --disable-libstdc                xx-pch --enable-libstdcxx-time --enable-gnu-unique-object --enable-linker-build-                id --with-ppl --enable-cloog-backend=isl --enable-lto --enable-gold --enable-ld=                default --enable-plugin --with-plugin-ld=ld.gold --with-linker-hash-style=gnu --                disable-multilib --disable-libssp --disable-build-with-cxx --disable-build-posts                tage1-with-cxx --enable-checking=release
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.7.1 (GCC)
COLLECT_GCC_OPTIONS='-v' '-o' 'hello' '-mtune=generic' '-march=x86-64'
 /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.7.1/cc1 -quiet -v hello.c -quiet -dumpb                ase hello.c -mtune=generic -march=x86-64 -auxbase hello -version -o /tmp/ccIftlA                E.s
GNU C (GCC) version 4.7.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu)
        compiled by GNU C version 4.7.1, GMP version 5.0.5, MPFR version 3.1.0-p                10, MPC version 0.9
GGC heuristics: --param ggc-min-expand=100 --param ggc-min-heapsize=131072
ignoring nonexistent directory "/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.7.1/../.                ./../../x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/include"
#include "..." search starts here:
#include <...> search starts here:
 /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.7.1/include
 /usr/local/include
 /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.7.1/include-fixed
 /usr/include
End of search list.
GNU C (GCC) version 4.7.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu)
        compiled by GNU C version 4.7.1, GMP version 5.0.5, MPFR version 3.1.0-p                10, MPC version 0.9
GGC heuristics: --param ggc-min-expand=100 --param ggc-min-heapsize=131072
Compiler executable checksum: f76242892378161d678bf98157bd23ba
 as -v --64 -o /tmp/ccuQjRHL.o /tmp/ccIftlAE.s
GNU assembler version 2.22.0 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu) using BFD version (GNU B                inutils) 2.22.0.20120323
COMPILER_PATH=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.7.1/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-u                nknown-linux-gnu/4.7.1/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_                64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.7.1/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/
LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.7.1/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-un                known-linux-gnu/4.7.1/../../../../lib/:/lib/../lib/:/usr/lib/../lib/:/usr/lib/gc                c/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.7.1/../../../:/lib/:/usr/lib/
 /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.7.1/collect2 --build-id --eh-frame-hdr                 --hash-style=gnu -m elf_x86_64 -dynamic-linker /lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 -o hell                o /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.7.1/../../../../lib/crt1.o /usr/lib/gc                c/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.7.1/../../../../lib/crti.o /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-unkn                own-linux-gnu/4.7.1/crtbegin.o -L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.7.1 -L/                usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.7.1/../../../../lib -L/lib/../lib -L/usr/                lib/../lib -L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.7.1/../../.. /tmp/ccuQjRHL.                o -lgcc --as-needed -lgcc_s --no-as-needed -lc -lgcc --as-needed -lgcc_s --no-as                -needed /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.7.1/crtend.o /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64                -unknown-linux-gnu/4.7.1/../../../../lib/crtn.o
That's a lot of output to wade through, but we can see that it invokes (in order): cc1 (the C compiler), as (the assembler), collect2 (the actual linker, which ld is a wrapper for).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours