I am recent computer science graduate, and I recently moved to Washington (Spokane area) with my wife. I'll be here for a year or more, since we want to have our baby near family (and because I've got a bit to do before I apply to grad school). Now we're kind of in a financial pinch...

Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any opportunities for programming (computer science) related job openings? My last job (before the T.E. on Kerm's book) was as a software tester for a year and a half, where I was never let on as a developer because I was unable to relocate (and was last in the seniority line for making that exception). ... The majority of the software jobs here are too far away (Seattle; I cannot relocate right now), and I'd really like not to drop from $15/hr at my last two jobs to minimum wage...

I'm going to keep fishing through job sites, but any suggestions would be awesome (any online stuff?) ... and if it helps, I'm the kind of guy who likes to do this kind of stuff in my spare time.
You could start with craigslist, even looking on Google with a local search and sending e-mails with a résumé is a starting point.

Google may not find *every* business as they may not be SEO'd with a address or a Google Maps listing.
All the jobs I've gotten have been through Monster, so you check them out. There may not be much around you, but maybe you could find something where you can telecommute.
Unknown Worlds Entertainment has 2 positions listed on their website. Both ask that you work in their SF office, but I'm fairly certain they also contract out some work. May be worth, at the very least, emailing them and seeing how they would feel about telecommute or having you do contract work. http://www.unknownworlds.com/jobs

But also what merth said.
It seems to me that a lot of companies find people through LinkedIn. I can't tell you how many recruiters have contacted me after browsing through my profile on LinkedIn, even though it explicitly says that I'm working on my PhD and will be for the next few years.
KermMartian wrote:
It seems to me that a lot of companies find people through LinkedIn. I can't tell you how many recruiters have contacted me after browsing through my profile on LinkedIn, even though it explicitly says that I'm working on my PhD and will be for the next few years.

Incredibly true; after my dad retired, he's gotten many dozens of offerings over his LI account, from old bosses/admirals/co-workers, etc. and he hasn't even put something up that would indicate he was looking for work (in fact, essentially the opposite) I'd second KermM's implied suggestion of checking out LinkedIn.
KermMartian wrote:

I don't think they check that at all. Either that, or a *lot* of companies have insanely over-inflated egos and self worth. I can't imagine why else they would think I have any interest whatsoever in crappy random jobs in crappy random locations.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours