Insrisg: Thanks, I appreciate it, and good luck with your book. Yup, that's certainly one of my concerns, and ironically, I think that my editorial on exactly this issue might have been one of the things that led my publisher to me in the first place.
Manning has finally started to ship the book to buyers! I got an e-mail notifying me it has shipped today for me. Very Happy
DJ_O wrote:
Manning has finally started to ship the book to buyers! I got an e-mail notifying me it has shipped today for me. Very Happy
I think you're about the third or fourth person to mention this to me today, and I was so happy to hear it that I posted an update on Cemetech's Facebook page about it. Smile I can only hope that my box of books arrives soon too so that I can show it off at Maker Faire! I also noticed that even though they said it wouldn't be available until September 28th, Amazon now lists "Programming the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus" as in-stock! \o/
Add me to the list, I got an email Friday that the book has shipped.
rfdave wrote:
Add me to the list, I got an email Friday that the book has shipped.
Superb! And as of this morning, Amazon was saying only three books were left in stock; now it's 1. Smile
hmmm tough choice... Save for paint job on car, or buy a book....... LOL I am buying this book if i have enough after i get paid.
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
hmmm tough choice... Save for paint job on car, or buy a book....... 0x5 I am buying this book if i have enough after i get paid.
I'm certainly happy to hear that, thank you! And calculator users will thank you when you start churning out awesome programs. Wink
DJ_O wrote:
Me too, got that email Friday Very Happy

I wonder how much time they take to ship to Canada...
Email wrote:
The following parcel was shipped via APC CANADA on 09-21-12

According to their website and assuming the book is a small parcel weighting less than 4 pounds, it will arrive in something like 7-14 business days. http://www.apc-pli.com/can-parcel.html
Depends. Orders from United States takes unusual amounts of time to ship to Canada compared to Europe, China, etc. Most stuff I order from China or Australia arrives here in 2-3 weeks, stuff from Canada or Europe in 1 week, but stuff from USA takes more than 3...
That's really odd. Shock I don't think I've ever gotten stuff from Canada, but even by ground shipping from California it takes at most a week for goods to traverse the 3,000-mile width of the continent. I can't imagine what the hold-up is for packages to get to Canada.

By the way, I know it goes without saying, but if you guys enjoy my book (or even if you don't), you're welcome to write an Amazon review about it.
Well, I guess it pretty much depends of which delivery company they're using.
juju2143 wrote:
Well, I guess it pretty much depends of which delivery company they're using.
I guess so.

I am overjoyed to say that my box of my books has finally arrived! I'll have to change my profile picture here, on Facebook, and everywhere else to a bow-tied Kerm proudly holding up "Programming the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus". Smile
Looks like I should have mine at home by Tuesday, and be able to pick it up this weekend!
My copy arrived today. I was trying to embed a picture, but no such luck. You'll have to take my word for it.

Dave
rfdave wrote:
My copy arrived today. I was trying to embed a picture, but no such luck. You'll have to take my word for it.

Dave
Superb! I'm happy that everyone is finally getting the finished product, and I hope that the floodgates will open to tons of people reading the book and thence coming to see us here in the community!
No embedded pics, but here's a link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yckud6msuza7lum/2012-09-25_19-51-27_479.jpg
rfdave wrote:
Thanks for sharing, and nice setup you have there! Do you dual-wield those Weller soldering irons? Wink
Sure do. It's the only way to get SMT parts off a board quickly. Doing it under a microscope is the way to go, you learn to move slowly with the soldering irons in hand Surprised
rfdave wrote:
Sure do. It's the only way to get SMT parts off a board quickly. Doing it under a microscope is the way to go, you learn to move slowly with the soldering irons in hand Surprised
Ah, that would indeed make a lot of sense. I usually use a single iron and switch between the leads of the SMT component, using my other hand to apply some pressure with a fine-tipped tool. Your method would be much easier and introduce less overall heat into the board.
Although I don't own the 83+/84+ and would be reasonably proficient with it anyway, I'm finding the book unexpectedly handy. It's a great source of progressively more challenging examples to adapt to any new programming language I decide to start learning (especially since I seem to have trouble coming up with ideas for simple exercises to help me learn the ropes myself).

To try to sharpen my HP 50g calc coding skills, I'm converting selected code examples to UserRPL and SysRPL using various techniques. Although by now I've been getting the hang of SysRPL, in doing this and researching the best ways to do things, I've just learned a few optimization tricks on my own specific to that language (particularly the funky commands you can use to directly manipulate the instruction pointer and call stack, which is a bit tricky to wrap my mind around coming from common procedural languages, though RPL adequately accommodates the more conventional paradigm as well). And it's a lot of fun.

(Incidentally, I'm also surprised to discover just how efficiently-designed the whole thing is considering the levels of processor emulation and interpretation everything goes through compared to something like TI-OS and TI-BASIC—many basic math algorithms in UserRPL with all its extra error-checking code are still lightning fast, even when using algorithms that aren't even quite the most efficient—and SysRPL of course is even faster. It's very fascinating. All of this no doubt evolved from the humble, extremely limited hardware (in some ways even more so than older TIs) the original HP calcs ran on!)

By the way, you might want to change the description of this forum now since it's no longer just an “upcoming” book. Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours