Credits go to Ashbad for the original idea and I asked him the permission before posting my project Wink

So I am trying to port Rainbow Dash Attack to z80 calcs in Axe.
Here is a screenshot of my progress so far

You see that there are a few things to do (you can't lose, you can fly even without power...) and that I need a pony sprite Razz

Suggestions, feedback and sprites are welcome Smile

edit: I don't know where the button for the attachement is so I just give you a link for the attachement in Omnimaga.
http://www.omnimaga.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=13795.0;attach=12924
Can you post a link to a copy not on omnimnaga, as many of our members are banned for various reasons?
Well I wanted to attach the file to the post but that doesn't seem possible Sad
Can you give me a link to an easy to use file hosting site ?
Hayleia wrote:
Well I wanted to attach the file to the post but that doesn't seem possible Sad
Can you give me a link to an easy to use file hosting site ?
http://www.mediafire.com/ should work. It's not perfect, but most large file sharing sites aren't. Cemetech doesn't allow attachments at all.
We also have a handy Beta section of the Cemetech Archives just for beta programs:

http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=folder&path=/beta/

Will you also be using a series of sprites, several for running, one for ascending, and for descending?
KermMartian wrote:
We also have a handy Beta section of the Cemetech Archives just for beta programs:

http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=folder&path=/beta/
Ok, I may use this section when I have something that is worth being posted (understand: when the pony stops looking like a dog).

KermMartian wrote:
Will you also be using a series of sprites, several for running, one for ascending, and for descending?
Since the screen is a bit blurry, it would not be that useful to animate the flying sprite. But yeah, the running sprite will be animated.

For now, here is what Spenceboy98 has to propose:

(for the last one, he made another version with a more wavy tail).
What do you think of it ?
Personally, I like the last two ones, but maybe you have ideas to improve them ? Smile

edit: Update.
-Now with the flying sprite provided by Spenceboy98 (without greyscale because I am lazy Razz)
-The bar is prettier
-You can't fly when it is empty
-You can die (even if it didn't work on the screenshot Razz)
Nice progress. I see what you mean about the blurriness, though. Is the update so slow that you need to use a Y-increment of 2 or 3, as that's what it looks like is happening to me.
I think there should be a pixel added under the nose.
Here's what I have for the running(6 frames):
KermMartian wrote:
Nice progress. I see what you mean about the blurriness, though. Is the update so slow that you need to use a Y-increment of 2 or 3, as that's what it looks like is happening to me.
Ah, no, on the contrary, it means that it is too fast Wink
I use an interrupt for the greyscale to have it quite beautiful and the pony moves several times between two screen refreshes

aeTIos wrote:
I think there should be a pixel added under the nose.
If you have problems with sprites, please refer to the spriter Razz

Spenceboy98 wrote:
Here's what I have for the running(6 frames):
Already ?? Shock
Also, this is impressive. I'll use those for sure.

For now, I am working on the titlescreen to have a credits section, so I can finally make a beta release (don't want to release something in the beta section that doesn't thank everyone who participated)
edit: This is done Very Happy
Will submit to the beta section right now.
Also, the eye-candy might please you
I like the title screen. Smile
Spenceboy98 wrote:
I like the title screen. Smile
Thanks Smile

Also, sorry, there was a problem with the beta section. I saw NIBLSBIN.8xp in the list so I thought I could upload a plain 8xp file but apparently I need a zip. Doing it right now.

edit:
Update !
Now with the running sprite Very Happy
(note that the grey looks better on calc)

I also changed the bar on the top. Please tell me if you are having problems with it.
Where is the new download? The one in the archives is still the same as before.
there's this great thing in Newtonian physics called acceleration
Spenceboy98 wrote:
Where is the new download? The one in the archives is still the same as before.

It should have changed now. After I submit it, admins have to agree. This is why it takes a bit of time Smile

JoeYoung wrote:
there's this great thing in Newtonian physics called acceleration

There are those great things called uppercase and punctuation. Please remain polite, especially when you are wrong.
I know what acceleration is and I know how to do it but it is not present in Ashbad's game. Maybe I'll put it when everything else is done, maybe not.
I'm excited to see this being ported to a calc I own! It looks really good so far. I'm curious to see what you're planning to do for the game over screen. I must say: good choice on the title image. The minimalistic pony images are always great. Also...
Hayleia wrote:
I know what acceleration is and I know how to do it but it is not present in Ashbad's game. Maybe I'll put it when everything else is done, maybe not.

The fact that it's not present in the original doesn't mean that you should leave it out! I think that acceleration would definitely be a good gameplay element to have. This is technically your project. It may be a port, but why not add some things that are different if they can add to the experience? Smile
technomonkey76 wrote:
I'm excited to see this being ported to a calc I own! It looks really good so far. I'm curious to see what you're planning to do for the game over screen. I must say: good choice on the title image. The minimalistic pony images are always great.

Thanks Smile
Yeah, I first wanted to use the same image as in Ashbad's game but it was impossible to fit on a 96x64 screen with only 4 shades of grey, so I opted for this one.

technomonkey76 wrote:
Also...
Hayleia wrote:

The fact that it's not present in the original doesn't mean that you should leave it out! I think that acceleration would definitely be a good gameplay element to have. This is technically your project. It may be a port, but why not add some things that are different if they can add to the experience? Smile

Yes, I see what you mean. I may add it after I added clouds and apples (for now apples are drawn but useless, and there is only one cloud at the beginning that doesn't kill anyone for now). And thanks for making your suggestions politely ^^
Update
- Clouds work
- Apples work
- Lives work (displayed when you die and at the beginning)
- Score Works (displayed on the background)

Looking great! I'd go so far as to say that this gives the Prizm version a run for its money in terms of features and polish. Wink
KermMartian wrote:
Looking great! I'd go so far as to say that this gives the Prizm version a run for its money in terms of features and polish. Wink
Thanks, but that is the aim of a portage Wink
(also, I had to go through a lot of websites to understand your sentence since I am not a native English speaker)

However, there is a feature that I am almost sure it will not be in the final version: Highscores will be saved but without names (name input is a pain to do).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours