Ashbad wrote:
seana11 wrote:
Wait, that's a *firefly*?

Nope, it's an luminescent hovering sofa. Pretty dangerous stuff, no?

But yeah, it's a firefly; I'm not going for realism in this, more of semi-realism like in the Scootaloo pixel, so I can throw in some realistic elements and get away with shading the ponies more, but for things like the fireflies I'm doing it in more of a cartoony, symbolic way.

I think a chesterfield would work better. I mean really, firellies are so cliche.
seana11 wrote:
Ashbad wrote:
seana11 wrote:
Wait, that's a *firefly*?

Nope, it's an luminescent hovering sofa. Pretty dangerous stuff, no?

But yeah, it's a firefly; I'm not going for realism in this, more of semi-realism like in the Scootaloo pixel, so I can throw in some realistic elements and get away with shading the ponies more, but for things like the fireflies I'm doing it in more of a cartoony, symbolic way.

I think a chesterfield would work better. I mean really, firellies are so cliche.

Firellies, might be, but I honestly don't think Fireflies are. And they fit the holiday well.
haven't been able to pixel the past few days, and while there's more progress than this that's happened (hair is shaded now, and the colors are both darker/more contrasted for Twily and brighter for the firefly) I can't upload it at work as it's both on my laptop, and my laptop has no internet connectivity here.

Still a WIP far from completion, but it's getting there.

The dithering looks absolutely *horrible* on the ear. You may want to do that bit over again. (It looks bad with more contrasting colors, but the ear took the worst hit).
Just wondering, why are you dithering that much? Do you have to do it like so?
zeldaking wrote:
Just wondering, why are you dithering that much? Do you have to do it like so?

Trying to have a super low color count, but at the same time trying to make the face as smooth as possible (longer gradients of dithering patterns do that well)

seana11 wrote:
The dithering looks absolutely *horrible* on the ear. You may want to do that bit over again. (It looks bad with more contrasting colors, but the ear took the worst hit).

yeah, that's really helpful. "Do it over again" helps me figure out exactly what's wrong with the dithering. I'll run by the pixelation guys again to see what they think of it and hopefully get some advice on how to actually fix it.
After 10 hours or so into this, I'm at the halfway point I think:

Still not done with Twily herself, but I should be able to get that finished tomorrow.
Ah, dithering is *much* better.
I fixed a few of the dithering areas in the face, but the dithering you whined about in the ear, it's exactly the same Wink amazing what a few color swaps can do, no?
Ashbad wrote:
I fixed a few of the dithering areas in the face, but the dithering you whined about in the ear, it's exactly the same ;) amazing what a few color swaps can do, no?

I know it's the same dithering; I was complaining that the colors you chose earlier were not compatible with the dithering.
Well, decided to drop it in its current form.

dA -> http://theashbad.deviantart.com/art/Twily-Unfinished-318103752

Basically, I'm restarting it from the thumbnail phase so that it's more exciting, has better compositional qualities, and overall just better. It's still going to have Twily, and it's still going to have a firefly; that's about where the similarities end.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours