Solid wall or Paneled wall
Solid wall
 100%  [ 3 ]
Paneled wall
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

Okay I talked about this earlier this week. I started making a basic Raycaster in ti-basic. I made a video.

Notice that only one side is finished. I was just figuring out the main way to draw it effeciently. Bare with me you cannot move either. You might have noticed during the clip that I showed another way that I was drawing it, with panels (white bars in between blocks). I was wondering what you guys thought of each way. (solid wall, paneled wall)
I know it looks very simple meaning just a few lines of code, but in reality my drawing code is set up to draw everything not just the left portion. In reality it is pretty nifty.
How similar is it to the rendering engine in, say, uLtra Tournament II? Is it that sort of an engine, or is it more like a true raycaster? Either way, looking great!
Oh. It's a 'true' raycaster. It takes angle increments and draws in vertical splices. The map as you noticed are matrices. It checks boundaries to see if [A](N+increment, M+increment) where increment is the angle formula I have.
New update video made, loads better.Check back in maybe an hour.
This kinda reminds me of the raycaster Calc84maniac made several years ago, which I forgot where it was located. I don't remember if it was faster or slower, but it was running at a similar speed and supported 45° rotation. Axcho from United-TI made one too a few years ago, but it used the home screen so it kinda looked weird at times when far away.
Yeah mine will support:
-back and forth movement (update already does)
-side to side movement
-15 degree rotation
-uses FOV of 60 degrees (FOV: field of view)
-10x10 blocks
-13x13 map (easily expandable)
-Textured? doubt it.
-Other stuff
This was using a ti-83 so won't it speed up on a higher calc? Aka ti-84se? I am rewriting it to my ti-84plus since my sister needs one of my 4 graphing calculators. So I picked that one, which I have been coding on. As I said above the update is alot better. I'll try to get that uploaded tomorrow morning.
I will be using solid walls as paneled is a bit confusing.
Do you guys think it is too steep? I could flatten it a bit more so it appears not as far away.

This is an update to my Ti-Basic Raycaster video.
Please comment. Also to my statement above I don't know if I am going to be doing 15 degree movement. I will start at 90 and go from there.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours