I pronounce it without the Hard C. Much like Cement. but I leave off the 'nt' of "Cement."

Always have, it's just weird otherwise. Haha.
As soon as I change my name to quazz Wink
How about we just name it "Ashbad". It's how I pronounce it anyways.
Comic, that's what I've been saying since day one. 'ce' will always produce an 's' sound, never a 'k' sound. :p
You could add the pronunciation to the logo. Then as soon as someone looks at the title bar the pronunciation is right there.
I have a better idea. Why not just name it Kermetech? That would solve all problems. Razz
Aes: No
TIFreak: No
DShiznit: No, but good idea. Just too ugly.
Ashbad: Hilarious. Not.
Comic: Well, you're pronouncing it wrong.
Catherine: You suck.
Qazz: That's what your name is.
I too pronounced it semetek for a while. Mainly because when I was first looking for Cemetech, from the About on a program for my 83p I grabbed (before I was introduced to Cemetech, TICalc.org, Omnicalc, etc), I found out that Cemetech developed cemetery management software. The reason Cemetech also developed calculator programs was beyond me...

Then, of course, I discovered Cemetech.net -- which I was pleased to find did not develop cemetery management software.... I guess someone's gotta do it, though Razz

Now, thankfully, I find it very odd, out-of-place, and down-right silly to pronounce it semetek. I can't bring myself to do it ^^,
Pronouncing "ce" as a hard C is certainly linguistically unique--I can't think of any other English word where that's the case (and, in fact, you go with Kerm instead of Cerm). That being said, as is the case in many made-up words, however the person who made it pronounces it is likely the more correct way to pronounce it. Of course, that doesn't stop people from saying "gif" like "gift" instead of "Jiff". The point I'm making here is that the hard C is the "correct" way to do it, but you can't get upset at people for going with what seems the more natural pronunciation. English isn't always phonetically constant.
_player1537 wrote:
FWIW, I still pronounce it like "Cement-tech" partly to get on Kerm's nerves, and because that's what I called it originally Razz

Same for me.
merthsoft wrote:
Pronouncing "ce" as a hard C is certainly linguistically unique--I can't think of any other English word where that's the case.

You've never heard of the Celts?
Quote:
That's what your name is.

Not in writing Very Happy (unless that was the joke?)
DShiznit wrote:
merthsoft wrote:
Pronouncing "ce" as a hard C is certainly linguistically unique--I can't think of any other English word where that's the case.

Or its root, Celtic / Celtics. Smile Let's see what a reasonable dictionary has to say about etymology. "Origin: 1600–10; < Latin Celticus". Well then.
DShiznit wrote:
merthsoft wrote:

Yes, because not being able to think of something off hand means I've never heard of it. Worth noting, though, is that the basket ball team, The Celtics, pronounce it "seltics", or "selts".
merthsoft wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
merthsoft wrote:

Yes, because not being able to think of something off hand means I've never heard of it. Worth noting, though, is that the basket ball team, The Celtics, pronounce it "seltics", or "selts".

That's because they're saying it wrong. Ask any Scott or Irishman how that word is pronounced.
"Keltics"? Um, ok. And yeah, in French, we would pronounce "Ce" as "S" as well.
DShiznit wrote:
merthsoft wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
merthsoft wrote:

That's because they're saying it wrong. Ask any Scott or Irishman how that word is pronounced.
Yes, I'm well aware.
I have always pronounced it as 'semetek' only because 'kemetek' sounds dreadfully weird when verbally saying it. But I don't really care either way.
zeldaking wrote:
I have always pronounced it as 'semetek' only because 'kemetek' sounds dreadfully weird when verbally saying it. But I don't really care either way.
Well, I've been saying it for thirteenish years aloud as Ke-me-tek, and it sounds perfectly natural to me. Wink
Ehh, eastern coasters. Razz jk. As I said I am fine with either way.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours