Ok so My mom is convinced that Cydia allows you to completely Bypass Parental Controls on my iPod Touch. So she wants a way to completely monitor my iPod, or a way to not clear my safari search history.

By monitor I mean, She can see exactly what goes on. Also, could someone describe what Cydia is used for? She seems to think it is ONLY to bypass parental controls. She found a site online, that she can not find again, that says cydia can by used to completely bypass Parental controls and do just about anything. I know cydia is powerful and all, but I did not know it could do that.

I think that is all. Thanks in advance to all you cemetichians that deal with my crazy family and I.
Look into SNMP. Some routers support it. It logs network data such as how much bandwidth a computer or application is requiring. I'm not sure if it logs browsing history but really, there's not much you can do on the iPod other than say "Here is my iPod, check my browsing history." If she's that paranoid about it I'd say don't worry about jail breaking it.

If she really wants she could *probably* call the ISP and have them blacklist explicit sites.
Or you could just tell your mom to leave you (And your iPod) alone. If she's so paranoid about you going on bad sites (If I had to guess, pr0n), then you need to work on getting her to trust you online. You could try showing her your history for a month (perhaps with Comic's SNMP suggestion) and then try to get her to trust you about being on the internet. Not to mention, anyone with remotely _any_ technical knowledge can get past most blocks, so it's a moot point, anyways.

Cydia is used to install programs and apps. You _can_ install something to bypass parental controls, in the same way that you can install something like that on your computer or even from the App Store. I know, for a fact, that there is a Tor browser on the App Store (Though I prefer the system-wide one, since it would encrypt everything, and, no, it's only so I can get on imgur from school Razz).

And, just one more thing, about the clearing your history: there are other apps on the App Store that don't even have a history option, as well as many other ways to get around it. If I had to guess, the Facebook app probably will let you have a way to get to Google and then from there, you can get anywhere on the web, without any history of it. You could probably get a Winterboard theme to get rid of the Clear History button from Cydia, but I still don't believe it would be worth it.
Player I have tried getting my mom to trust me. It is a moot point. I think I will just remove the Jail break and do the Ios Upgrade for now, so that I "CANT" Jailbreak it for awhile to make her happy. I am moving out in a few months. The whole "Leave me and my crap alone" Does not work with her. I cant even password protect anything. I will see what I can do about the ISP thing.
Hmm, then the ISP sounds like the best thing you could do. I'd go ahead and leave the iPod jailbroken, for now. If you could get her to believe that the ISP is blocking bad sites for any device on the network (be it your computer, iPod, whatever), then you would be able to get rid of the crapware that is blocking them Razz Also, she may not have to call your ISP to get them to blacklist sites; there is typically something in the admin panel of your router to do that.
_player1537 wrote:
Also, she may not have to call your ISP to get them to blacklist sites; there is typically something in the admin panel of your router to do that.

I was going to suggest the same, but if she's paranoid she'll likely find reason to believe he's bypassing the routers block. Which, your only option would be to block it on the ISP's end so no matter which router the residence uses, the block is still in place.

If she's beyond paranoid, she'll find reason to believe you're bypassing (or be able to bypass) the ISP. Which can be done the same why China folk can get on Facebook: Proxies or VPN, but you usually have to pay for those services.
Actually I have a few proxies that I use for school. But yea. I may give her that Idea, except how hard would it be to just add a site that the ISP deems bad but my mom is ok with? For example. There may be a "Booze add" on a perfectly fine site. That the ISP would probably block. Or for the sake of arguement, the ISP may block Omnimaga, or sites like it, which I do go to from time to time to kill free time and check in.

Is it a simple, Log into the ISP site, Add URL, and its done? or does it vary from ISP to ISP
I would imagine they have a list/package of inappropriate sites that they check against if you wish to block those sites. I don't think you add your own, but I've never attempted any of this so I wouldn't know with certainty.
ok thanks. If my mom mentions it again I will mention this to her.
Let me take a moment to voice an opinion on the "mom" side of things. There are often valid reasons for a parent to want to keep tabs on their children that don't have to do with censoring what sites they visit or being Big Brotherly; they might just be concerned about your well-being. In this case I have to side with your mother, but there's also more that I know about this situation than has been stated in this thread.
Kerm yes you do. and I am doing much better.. I will PM you more about that subject...

And playing the 18 year old kid who is moving out in 2 months. I say she needs to draw more away from me. not get closer. I am moving out in 2 months, she needs to learn to live without me being around all the time. She also needs to get over the fact that I am NOT going to tell her all that I do when I go away for college. so she may as well start now.
KermMartian wrote:
Let me take a moment to voice an opinion on the "mom" side of things. There are often valid reasons for a parent to want to keep tabs on their children that don't have to do with censoring what sites they visit or being Big Brotherly; they might just be concerned about your well-being. In this case I have to side with your mother, but there's also more that I know about this situation than has been stated in this thread.

You would agree on the side of censorship, wouldn't you.
allynfolksjr wrote:
You would agree on the side of censorship, wouldn't you.

B QUEIT OR I BAN U

Also, might be worth looking into this: http://www.phonesheriff.com/iphone-guide.html

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours