So my calculator started having link problems and I need specific help as to how to fix them. I have opened up and found that there is a port in the back that needs to be reconnected with the whole circuit board, and have no soldering iron. Plus, some of the metal is missing from a previous attempt... it still works, I just need help in the field of how to reconnect it.
It's tough to do this sort of thing without a soldering iron. There is such a thing as conductive epoxy, but it doesn't work very well. It might be worth a try though.
You have no access to a soldering iron and solder at all? And what piece of metal is missing: part of the socket, part of the PCB, or what?
I have no clue what a PCB is. The socket has two slits of metal on either side that hold it firmly in place, one is missing. It doesn’t affect link transfer excluding the fact that it is easier to shake loose or unplug. I won’t have access to a soldering iron until at least April the 7th... Still, can you tell me how to fix it?
Dapianokid wrote:
I have no clue what a PCB is. The socket has two slits of metal on either side that hold it firmly in place, one is missing. It doesn’t affect link transfer excluding the fact that it is easier to shake loose or unplug. I won’t have access to a soldering iron until at least April the 7th... Still, can you tell me how to fix it?
PCB = Printed Circuit Board, the green thing that the plug is mounted on. The two pieces of metal that hold it in place (if I understand your description) are near the back of the plug, and there's a third piece at the back of it? Can you get a picture, by any chance? Also, is this an 83 model or 84 model?
83+. I don’t think I can get a pic, because without using the proper screwdriver, I may strip the screws. I don’t want to do that.
There are three, yes. Three pieces of yellowish metal. There are three silverish pieces on three sides and the back one pops off the PCB.
Dapianokid wrote:
83+. I don’t think I can get a pic, because without using the proper screwdriver, I may strip the screws. I don’t want to do that.
There are three, yes. Three pieces of yellowish metal. There are three silverish pieces on three sides and the back one pops off the PCB.
Then that's the one you need to solder back down (carefully). The screwdriver is a Torx-6 screwdriver which can be had for a few bucks at your local hardware store, by the way. I bought my trusty Torx-6 on January 1, 2000!
Wow! and alright! I used tape haha

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours