Ok so I am finally setting up my server. I have to drill some new holes for it to work in my good case, since the MB is a DELL *slight gag* But it was free. The case I am using has 3 external fans and the heatsink fans. It runs incredibly cool. So, how would I set up the server in Fedora? I mostly just want FTP, which some internet access if my mom kicks me off my PC.. And Remote Desktop Protocal would be handly as well. Think that is the whole list.
I would go for Fedora Core (Fedora without a desktop environment, like GNOME or KDE) instead of the standard Fedora. Once you install it, which should be a fairly easy thing to do, then install openssh-server (if it's not already there) and kill any sort of firewall that exists (I didn't have to do this with my Ubuntu Server Edition install, so you might not have to with Fedora Core). That step would have to be done _on_ the server, with a monitor and keyboard. After you install it, though, you can SSH into the server from another computer and set the rest of it up. For an FTP server, I use vsftpd, although I've had issues that are probably entirely my fault (Permissions are weird.. I might make a topic for it, later). Have fun setting the rest of it up Smile If you happen to want a webserver, I strongly recommend lighttpd, btw.
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
And Remote Desktop Protocal would be handly as well. Think that is the whole list.

In Linux-land, you generally want VNC, or SSH with X forwarding.
elfprince13 wrote:
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
And Remote Desktop Protocal would be handly as well. Think that is the whole list.

In Linux-land, you generally want VNC, or SSH with X forwarding.

RDP is like shouting "MY PIN FOR MY $1,000,000 BANK ACCOUNT IS *****" in time square. SSH is like saying that in swahili.
ok. so.... SSH allows me to control the server from my main PC still right? That is all I need really. And Catherine, will the server work with a desktop envirorment? Even if I use xfce or one of the *less pretty, more functional* Enviroments. In case I feel the need to do some homework, or "Homework", in my bedroom. I mmainly just need internet access, so probably just google chrome. I may at some point run a bot server as well, so xchat at some point. but that is later on down the road.
Yes, you can put a desktop environment on it. I keep one on my server so I can open links on IRC (Window manager: mlvwm, which is nice because it looks like one of the old, retro Macs, but it requires a lot of tinkering to get it to work nicely). What are the specs on your server? If it is very low, I would definitely recommend just a window manager (no desktop environment) and a simple browser like Midori.
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
ok. so.... SSH allows me to control the server from my main PC still right? That is all I need really. And Catherine, will the server work with a desktop envirorment? Even if I use xfce or one of the *less pretty, more functional* Enviroments. In case I feel the need to do some homework, or "Homework", in my bedroom. I mainly just need internet access, so probably just google chrome. I may at some point run a bot server as well, so xchat at some point. but that is later on down the road.

Yes, ssh is a direct shell to your computer; as if you were sitting at it. You can also do file transfers, and even mount your drive on another computer. ssh can also do proxies.

Xfce is pretty. It's even prettier than GNOME, depending on how you set it up. (eg. with compiz) If you just need internet, you can get by with elinks (Though it doesn't have javascript; oddly). Just grab lxde and whatever else you want. (Don'y sweat the choices unless they take up a ton of ram/disk space)
I have a 160GB HDD and a 4GB IDE HDD. I am thinking about using the 4GB HDD just JUSt Fedora, if I can get by, and have the 160 GB HDD just be the file drive. Not sure if that is doalbe, but I will find out. I have 2GB of ram if I remember right, with a pentium 4. I dont know if it is dual core or not as I have not really tested the specs much. I pretty much just need some basic flash and javascript for my browser. Mainly want flash so I can join in on TinyChat from my bedroom where the server will be located, and javascript so I can do some programming with SC. My server has almost the same specs as my main PC, short of an extra 160GB HDD, and 2 DVD Drives. I have a SATA DVD Drive that I may install just to use it, and watch DVDs and such.
So basically, this server is a combination of a home entertainment center and something you can access remotely, correct?
Basically. I plan on putting Itunes on it, with a sound feed running to my surround sound system. And I have a VGA to RCA/Svideo adapter, so I may play some dvds on it from time to time, it is kinda an all in one machine. File/Itunes Server/Access to internet from time to time...
Haha, you want to put iTunes on a server? A _Linux_ server, at that? Razz You might want to rethink what application you'll use, especially if you're just playing music (In which case, mpg321 works quite well). It sounds like you want this to just be a general computer, than a server.
Well.... Mostly for now, (Until I get more hardware) It is a fileserver, and a genearl PC. if that is possible..... and I want itunes because The JukeBox default on Fedora, does not see any titles or such to any of my music. and having unknown artist for everything, is annoying..
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
Well.... Mostly for now, (Until I get more hardware) It is a fileserver, and a genearl PC. if that is possible..... and I want itunes because The JukeBox default on Fedora, does not see any titles or such to any of my music. and having unknown artist for everything, is annoying..

AmaroK. or Rhythmbox. but mostly AmaroK.
elfprince13 wrote:
AmaroK. or Rhythmbox. but mostly AmaroK.

Quod Libet, Clementine, mpd..

Using iTunes because one program you tried doesn't work well at all sounds like a foolish thing to do. Smile
Rythembox is a no.. That is what Fedora has default. but I will try others. Real Player would be nice, but that does not work on Linux I would guess.
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
Real Player would be nice, but that does not work on Linux I would guess.
DOHOHOHOHOHO
*hem*

Rhythmbox is competent, so it sounds like you fell victim to some sort of itunes lock-in. I suspect there's a way to force it to write tags out to all your files, but that's little more than a guess since I haven't touched the program in years.
Yea. They are mostly Windows Media Files actually. (Before I knew better) So I am not sure why... I know the artist and title is stored in the file itself in windows.
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
Yea. They are mostly Windows Media Files actually. (Before I knew better) So I am not sure why... I know the artist and title is stored in the file itself in windows.

lolwut.

Anyway, you can use ffmpeg to convert everything to a better format, but I'm not sure what tool I'd use to copy the artist/album info, other than making sure that your directory structure matches the sorting you want to see in whatever program you load the converted songs into.
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
Real Player

Real Player still exists? Shock I thought nobody used it anymore since 1998 or so.
I use it .. sometimes.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours