My editors and I just realized that the official name of everyone's favorite programmable graphing calculators are actually the "TI-83 Plus" and the "TI-84 Plus", despite the fact that we universally refer to them as the "TI-83+" and "TI-84+" in the community. Therefore, the title of my book will be "Programming the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus", as you can see from the title of this topic. However, I also want a subtitle that conveys the idea that this book isn't just about calculator programming, but also teaches general programming skills applicable to almost any language and platform. I ask your help in selecting something appropriate, so feel free to suggest your own ideas. Thanks!
"The doubleplusgood book to ensure that programming no longer leaves you feeling nonplussed"
I was thinking more along the lines of "Concepts For Every Language" or "A Beginner's Guide to Universal Programming Concepts".
KermMartian wrote:
I was thinking more along the lines of "Concepts For Every Language" or "A Beginner's Guide to Universal Programming Concepts".
I like the latter one.
How about "Programming the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus:But Programming Computers is More Fun"?

I would say, watch out for making it sound too calculator-dissapating, considering it has a big picture of a calculator on the cover...
TI-BASIC: Still better than PHP
To take into account that it's setting up the knowledge for other languages, perhaps something generic.

"Concepts for Every Language" is a great one.
CalebHansberry wrote:
How about "Programming the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus:But Programming Computers is More Fun"?

I would say, watch out for making it sound too calculator-dissapating, considering it has a big picture of a calculator on the cover...
An excellent point, thanks. I will keep that in mind. For now, I told them about "A Beginner's Guide to Universal Programming Concepts", and let's see what they say.
comicIDIOT wrote:
"Concepts for Every Language" is a great one.

I vote for this. Although I still like mine best.
Can this book be made available on apples' iBooks? Or if it is in hard copy at Barnes and noble or Joseph Beth?
I will vote on "Concepts For Every Language" because it sounds nice and simple and goes along with the main title of your book.
I also approve of "concepts for every language"
The_Coded wrote:
Thanks. I still have the suggestion of "A Beginner's Guide to Universal Programming Concepts" pending with Manning, but if they demure at all, I will suggest "Concepts for Every Language". The_Coded, have you given my book a glance yet? Does it meet your needs for a programming guide?
KermMartian wrote:
The_Coded wrote:
Thanks. I still have the suggestion of "A Beginner's Guide to Universal Programming Concepts" pending with Manning, but if they demure at all, I will suggest "Concepts for Every Language". The_Coded, have you given my book a glance yet? Does it meet your needs for a programming guide?

I'm looking through the free bit, It seems quite useful to me, I can probably borrow my friends TI-83+ to work through it, or keep an emulator about. I don't exactly have a bunch of funds BUT, I'm now torn slightly between buying an $80 TI-84+SE or the casio Prizm simply because my friend could loan me the 83+...Will this book be available on iBooks? or can I Pre order the hard copy and digital bundle on Amazon?
You can pre-order the hard copy and digital bundle on Manning's website and get the eBook immediately; I anticipate that it will also be available on Amazon within a month or so. If your friend can loan you a TI-83+ and you have emulators like WabbitEmu and jsTIfied (both of which are discussed in Appendix C of the book), I feel like a Prizm might be a better choice, assuming you're interested in learning C programming, which is also a good start to computer programming. If not, then perhaps a TI-84+SE would be better.
KermMartian wrote:
You can pre-order the hard copy and digital bundle on Manning's website and get the eBook immediately; I anticipate that it will also be available on Amazon within a month or so. If your friend can loan you a TI-83+ and you have emulators like WabbitEmu and jsTIfied (both of which are discussed in Appendix C of the book), I feel like a Prizm might be a better choice, assuming you're interested in learning C programming, which is also a good start to computer programming. If not, then perhaps a TI-84+SE would be better.

Cool, I'm going to borrow my friends 83, if he still has it, and I'm buying a prizm tomorrow for class, c seems interesting and I would love to do c. Maybe port some of the people's 83/83+ games over to the prizm in c

I also hear it can indeed do basic so...hopefully it goes well
Yup, the Prizm has a slightly different flavor of BASIC than TI-BASIC, almost identical to the fx-9860g Casio BASIC other than the color commands, but it's not so far from TI-BASIC as to be unintelligible. Good luck!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours