i've never had to do it myself (because upgrades are rare when you have no moneys Razz), but i have heard of a method you could use. it's possible to package your entire os, customisations and all, as a custom live-booting iso, put that on an external drive(with something like unetbootin, boot it, and install it on the new drive using remastersys. you should probably look around some more, as an easier method may exist, but if all else fails this would work.
You could clone your hard drive with dd and expand the partition on the second drive later.
/\that makes a lot more sense Rolling Eyes
Ok cool. How would I go about cloning my HDD? I would look it up but just checking here on my way out the door.
Clonezilla. It makes use of dd, but is a little bit safer because you won't run the risk of mistyping an argument.
ok thanks. I would prefer to keep it safer. I have never done this before so I am going to run through my steps.

1. Take out one DVD Burner, replace a 40GB IDE drive.
2. Boot into Fedora Live USB
3. Using CloneZilla, Clone by 40GB partition of my 160GB drive onto my new drive
4. Remove the old drive then reboot to check the new clone drive
5. Insert said drive again and format it, (After getting backups) And swap out with the new 250GB Drive
6. Cut the Drive in half, i want one half to be manual backups. The other half to be backups like every few hours. (Will need help with this later)

So far does this sound good?
Clonezilla is run in a live environment so there shouldn't be any need to boot into fedora.
oh ok. Good to know. So I need to find another small flash drive. haha. Thanks. So other than that part my steps are correct?
Question... Can I rewrite Fedora 32bit with Fedora 64bit? I really dont want to reinstall if I dont have too. I finally got some more ram, (5GB total) And want to be able to use all of it.. IF I can find my 64bit Proc lying around in my PC stuff that is.
You probably don't even need a 64-bit system, just a big-memory aware kernel. The only reason to go 64-bit is if you have individual processes wanting more than about 3GB of memory.

On Debian the relevant kernel package is linux-image-686-bigmem, not sure what it would be on Fedora.
OK so does anyone know how I would get that for Linux? And would I have to reinstall? Or just update the kernal?. Also, does a 64 Bit proc with non hyperthreading single core, run better than a 32 bit hyber threaded single core? Both the same GHZ.

Edit: Also something that i am curious about. In the Bios it shows I have 2GB and 2 512MB chips of ram, with a total of 3.5GB installed. (Should be about 5GB) Does my motherboard bios need to be upgraded? how would I go about that? I tried to download updates in .exe form from the Dell site, but they wont do anything (From Windows vbox)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 4 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours