I has gots a PIC18F4XK20 Starter Kit board!
This is a dev board-like device powered by a PIC processor. It has 4 buttons, 2 pots, audio in and out, 8 LEDs, and an OLED 128x64 screen that you can interface with. I'm hopefully gonna start programming it soon. Here's a pic:

It also came with the PICkit 2 Programmer device (that's also the power supply).
The cord that came with it to connect to the computer is bright red. Mom says she likes the bright red cord best, even more than the board itself. O_o

Pictures of it running programs coming soon (as soon as the IDE finishes downloading x.x man my internet is slow).
I didn't know the PICkit 2 came with a bright red USB cable - I have the PICkit 3 which does, but then the whole thing is red. The PICkit 2 has some nice features that are not available on the PICkit 3 like a logic analyser and serial terminal, so you have some good stuff to get working with. Smile Do you have any projects in mind?
I'm particularly intrigued with the 128x64 pixel screen, 8 pixels wider even than a TI-86 screen. I second Benryves' question about what sort of projects you have planned with the board, what you know, and what you hope to learn. I also am happy to volunteer our help, of course.

Edit: Benryves corrected me that the TI-86 actually does have a 128x64 pixel screen. :/
I finally got it working and here is a video of it running Pong! I didn't make the Pong, it a built in software:

I'm currently working on a simple operating system-like interface for it, now that I know how to interface with the buttons, LEDs, and screen! All I have done so far is the title screen. The OS is all text based graphics, since I only know how to draw text so far. Pics of it coming soon.
Very cool stuff indeed. I realized I forgot to ask earlier: how much did that kit set you back?
What do you mean by "set you back"?
Spyro543 wrote:
What do you mean by "set you back"?

It's an English idiom that means "how much did it cost you".
Oh. It was about $113 (shipping included).
Sorry, no video about this (yet) but I did make a rectangle drawing routine. You may think this is worthless, but the only way to interface with the screen is pixel by pixel. (Think of it this way: Only drawing to the graph screen by only using Pxl-On().) So it was actually a bit challenging getting it working right. Here's the code for it:

Code:
void drawRect(unsigned char x1,unsigned char y1,unsigned char w,unsigned char h)
{
for(dx=x1; dx<=(x1+w); dx++)
{ putpixel_vram(dx,y1,1); }
for(dx=x1; dx<=(x1+w); dx++)
{ putpixel_vram(dx,(y1+h),1); }
for (dy=y1; dy<=(y1+h); dy++)
{ putpixel_vram(x1,dy,1); }
for (dy=y1; dy<=(y1+h); dy++)
{ putpixel_vram((x1+w),dy,1); }
oled_refresh();
}

Here is a video of the rectangle drawing routine + example program, all written by me Smile
I'm currently thinking of ways I could get this thing to graph. It'll just be basic stuff, not drawing the whole line, but just a few points Smile
Spyro543 wrote:
I'm currently thinking of ways I could get this thing to graph. It'll just be basic stuff, not drawing the whole line, but just a few points Smile
If you do it all in ints, it will be very easy. Floats get more painful.
Spyro543 wrote:
the only way to interface with the screen is pixel by pixel. (Think of it this way: Only drawing to the graph screen by only using Pxl-On().)
Ok, I really lied here. There are actually a few commands for drawing text to the screen. Anyways, I, for no reason at all, made a binary to decimal to hex to octal converter. You select the number by using the two buttons on the left side and it converts it Very Happy Video should be coming in a week or so.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours