I was bored and had a lot of stuff to do, so I learned how to make a Chrome extension and made one. Calculator Stuff v1.1 (still not entirely sure about that name) is a simple extension that feeds recent posts on Omnimaga and Cemetech into your browser's toolbar. It supports a few options, such as number of posts to fetch and delay between fetches (minimum 60 seconds), and can ignore posts you made.

Download version 1.3

It now has a lot of other stuff too, not just feeds!

One thing it adds is context-menu items for special characters. Right-click in any text box to quickly insert a character like theta or the store symbol.

It also adds a custom address-bar function for instant information on TI-BASIC commands—just type "basic" in the URL bar, press Tab, and start typing a command name, and it'll show you syntax and description for that command!

That's a great idea. Chrome is amazing...
This is quite nice, although I think the Omni tab should have a blue-ish color scheme. Very Happy
It's supposed to be blue, but it got cut off at an odd place Razz I'll redesign those tabs soon.
Also is it possible to disable certain sub-forums? (such as off-topic/spam/blockland, for example)
Hmm, the funny thing is that I actually happen to have a cemetech RSS feed app on Chrome... I forget who made it, was it you dThought?

anywho, this works amazing! Great work
qazz42 wrote:
Hmm, the funny thing is that I actually happen to have a cemetech RSS feed app on Chrome... I forget who made it, was it you dThought?
Probably not. I hadn't made anything for Chrome until this Sunday.
So, Will it eventually fetch from the other prominent TI sites, and maybe get a listing of newly posted programs from ticalc.org?
qazz42 wrote:

anywho, this works amazing! Great work

I think that was me. That project is nowhere near as nice as this, though, great job Deep Thought! Can we have an option to either display Cemetech or Omnimaga by default when the extension is launched?
Its an option... go ahead and download it. Its pretty sweet.
It just alerted me of my own post. hahaha
The extension does need a bit more configuration. what if I only wanted news from Cemetech? Or what if I wanted to see news from unitedTI?
From a site admin standpoint, can you make the minimum update interval something like one minute? I don't think people will miss out too much if they have to wait up to 59 seconds to see that there's a new post for them to check out. Smile
For some reason I didn't get notified of these replies Razz
tifreak8x wrote:
So, Will it eventually fetch from the other prominent TI sites, and maybe get a listing of newly posted programs from ticalc.org?
I'm thinking of TI-FW and Revsoft. I'd like to put UTI there as well, but every single one of the posts I've been notified about recently (through email) has been a spambot post Sad
souvik1997 wrote:
Can we have an option to either display Cemetech or Omnimaga by default when the extension is launched?
It currently remembers which tab you were on last, which I think should be enough.
thatguy13 wrote:
It just alerted me of my own post. hahaha
Yeah, there's a way to cut that out, but I'm too lazy to implement it. It would involve the user putting both his display name and email somewhere in the extension, since one forum keeps track of users by name and another by email.
JoeYoung wrote:
The extension does need a bit more configuration. what if I only wanted news from Cemetech? Or what if I wanted to see news from unitedTI?
I might allow custom URLs in a future version.
KermMartian wrote:
From a site admin standpoint, can you make the minimum update interval something like one minute? I don't think people will miss out too much if they have to wait up to 59 seconds to see that there's a new post for them to check out. Smile
Sure, I'll do that. The minimum right now is 15 seconds and I'm using 30 myself, but I guess a minute wouldn't be too bad. It's currently the default value, anyway.

EDIT: Revsoft is out of the question; it doesn't feed Sad

EDIT2: Neither does TI-FW. I guess phpBB has that disabled by default, and it seems like the default feed is Atom, not RSS. Cemetech uses an RSS mod to handle feeding.
Update (1.2)

Did most of that. Atom feeds are now used instead of RSS, so phpBB boards no longer need a mod. The minimum delay was raised from 15 seconds to sixty, as KermMartian requested. Another tab was added for Revsoft after NanoWar enabled feeding on the board, and I threw in an optional "display name" field, which lets the extension ignore posts you made.
Update (1.3)

Lots of new features make this more than just a feed notifier. It now adds context-menu items to text boxes for pasting one of ten special characters: '→ (store)', 'ʟ (list)', 'θ (theta)', 'π (pi)', '° (degree)', '√ (root)', '► (arrow)', '≠ (not equal to)', '≥ (greater than or equal to)', '≤ (less than or equal to)'. I know Cemetech has a list of buttons for those on the posting page, but now you can use the more common ones anywhere.

Another feature is in the omnibar (Chrome address bar): type "basic", press Tab (like with custom search engines), and start typing a TI-BASIC command, and it'll give you command syntax and usage descriptions! It relies on the Unified Token Reference database, which is not complete yet, but you can always contribute to it Wink

The URL is still in the first post.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours