I'm trying to diagnose a source of bloat in an iOS App I have. The App is 2.7MBs in size but has somehow blossomed into 2.1GB monster. The app, EyeFi, retrieves photos & videos from the EyeFI SDHC Card and saves the photos to my phone. The developers claim that the App simply saves the photos into the device camera roll. So, in theory the app *shouldn't* be saving any information. Luckily, the app isn't 30GB's or larger due the amount of photos that have passed from the card to my phone. So, it's safe to say they really aren't getting saved inside the app.

Though something is being saved in the app's contained database. And I need to view it. Opening one of the files in OpenOffice results in garble, Notepad returns garble, even trying to open it as a picture or decompressing it returns nothing but an error. So, I need to discover a way to view these. Would OpenOffice be able to browse them if I connected it to a local database (via the Database Document thing)?

I reckon that these files somehow correlate as Phone to Computer transfers (as photos already transferred off the card won't transfer again, so I'd have to mark them to send from my phone to the computer) but I don't have such bloat on my other EyeFi cards directory, just this one, the file sizes also don't really line up to photos as my RAW files are about 20MB's each.

It's also likely a recent app update has stopped this from happening as it hasn't happened since December. I also mailed my first EyeFi Card away as a defect in November and got a second in return a week later at the end of the month. But that shouldn't be a source to the bloat. The Incoming folder is empty, but it only lists my current card.

The largest file I saw was 59.7MB's, and there are 395 of these files. Is it safe to just delete them, you think?

I'm interested to note that the title of the folder is either the MAC address of the card or the MAC address of your computer, which supports the possibility that they're temp files used for transfers. What file format do you export, RAW or jpg? Try renaming one of them to that filetype and see if you can open it. If so, they're temp files that never got deleted, and you can safely delete them. Why did you say they're databases?
KermMartian wrote:
I'm interested to note that the title of the folder is either the MAC address of the card or the MAC address of your computer, which supports the possibility that they're temp files used for transfers. What file format do you export, RAW or jpg? Try renaming one of them to that filetype and see if you can open it. If so, they're temp files that never got deleted, and you can safely delete them. Why did you say they're databases?

I'd second this. It's probably just doing a poor job of checking if a file has transferred successfully and is keeping them on disk.
It is indeed the MAC address if the card. I transfer both RAW & JPEG and have renamed each as such, but I return errors (The post was likely TL;DR since both points were more-or-less touched on in the original post).

I suspect it's a database because of a file titled "EyeFiDataModel_0-09.sqlite" and I'm under the impression those file titles are the equivalents to their proper names in a database, kind of like file "1gha63" is "IMG_6731.jpg" or whatever.
The .sqlite extension should be a dead giveaway - try SQLite. Smile
It was, which is why I concluded it was a database. I just figured there aught to be graphical program to view such databases. I, of course, have hardly no experience and this is likely something close to I'm looking for (as in, after installing the frame-work my OS will be be able to display the database tables and information properly).

I'll give it a shot even though my initial thinking, thought otherwise.

Update:
It's poorly documented or I'm just not familiar with how this works. sqlite-analyze doesn't let me do anything - even when in the same directory as the suffixed sqllite file. I get this returned without it pausing for input:

Code:
Last login: Sat Jan 14 13:59:08 on ttys001
comicidiot:~ Alex$ /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD2/EyeFi/Documents/sqlite3_analyzer ; exit;
Usage: sqlite3_analyzer database-name
logout

[Process completed]

And the CLI sqlite download doesn't let me load a DB. I placed it in the same directory as the file, typed .help and found a .read command. But I can't read it.

Code:
sqlite> .read EyeFiDataModel_0-09.sqlite;
Error: cannot open "EyeFiDataModel_0-09.sqlite;"

Update:
Found a free app on the Mac App Store (a great catalogue I was ignoring), Liya, that was able to open the database. The file are indeed images, stored within the table ZEYEFICARDUPLOAD. I found a matching signature in both the directory and the database, duplicated and renamed it to the original, still couldn't open it. Found another table that stored the files as IMAGE.JPG.tar, so I added .tar and attempted to decompress it. I got the same error as in the first post. Sad

(The extension doesn't match exactly, I caught it after the fact and tried it with proper capitalization. No luck.)
Ah, I didn't realize they were sqlite files due to the chopped file names in the first post's screenshot. Smile Thanks for that, comic and benryves. Would you care to share one of those files, namely the thing you think is a tar inside the database, so I can play around with it?
Sure, I'll PM you the file and details. I'm also going to include the details of the file here as well.

Code:
Database: ZEYEFILEFILE
Z_PK               2
Z_ENT               3
Z_OPT               3
Z_LASTPROFILED         0
ZSTATUS               0
ZMEDIATYPE            1
ZFLAGS               0
ZLASTUPLOAD ATTEMPT      Sunday, December 31st, 4000 4:00:00PM Pacific Standard Time
ZLASTUPLOADDATE         Sunday, December 31st, 4000 4:00:00PM Pacific Standard Time
ZFILENAME            IMG_1728.JPG.tar
ZINTERGERDIGEST         
ZLASTSIGNATURE         
ZFILEURL            

Database: ZEYEFICARDUPLOAD
Z_PK               4
Z_ENT               1
Z_OPT               2
ZSIZE               4892672
ZSYNCSTATUS            0
ZFILEID               1417294817
ZFLAGS               6
ZSIGNATURE            62cb224a087a6aa81534df6d8d6aa6f2
ZFILENAME            IMG_1728.JPG
ZMACADDRESS            OMITTED

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours