krazylegodrummer56 wrote:
Thanks Kerm now i can go and and start learning ASM.

Using the notepad++ portable, what do you have to save the document as?

You would save it as a plain text file with a .asm or .z80 extension in the asm/source/ folder of the SDK.
how would you test it?
If you're using the DCS SDK without the GUI, you need to run "compile.bat <name of your ASM file without the extension>" in a command prompt. With the GUI, you click on Open file, browse to your source file, and wait for it to assemble. Then you can send the .8xp in the exec folder to your calculator or an emulator.
which GUI and the compile.bat <asm file> dosen't work.
What isn't working with the batch file? Is it encountering errors in your code while it's assembling? If so, you can copy and paste the output of compile.bat here (if it isn't too long). If you're unable to get compile.bat to run, make sure you are chdir'd into the asm directory of the SDK, and that the argument you're passing to compile.bat doesn't have a file extension on it. Also, I was referring to my GUI, from earlier in this topic.
oh okay and is it the command prompt built into the computer or some other program?
It is the same command prompt you get by pressing Win-R and typing "cmd" and pressing enter.
thanks heres what I get

C:\Users\Krazy>compile.bat helloWorld
'compile.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
You can save it as something.asm or something.z80, then use the Doors CS SDK to assemble it.
thanks heres what I get

C:\Users\Krazy>compile.bat helloWorld
'compile.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Did you cd to the asm directory of the SDK?
Um, I need to remember to make sure that I'm on the last page of a topic before I respond. Sad Sorry about that. You clearly didn't use the cd command to get to the /asm/ directory of the SDK, which is why I was trying to get you to use the "Open command prompt here" trick on the /asm/ folder a few pages ago.
Thats okay Kerm. Very Happy

And what do you mean "cd to the asm directory of the SDK" Souvik?
Thats okay Kerm. Very Happy

And what do you mean "cd to the asm directory of the SDK" Souvik?
The following three commands for navigating in the command prompt should help:

dir = List the contents of the current directory
cd <folder> = Switch to a child folder of this folder
cd .. = Switch the the parent folder of this folder

For example, if you are in C:\Users\Krazy\ and you want to get to C:\Users\Krazy\Documents\SDK\ASM, you could do:

cd Documents
cd SDK
cd ASM
still get this underneath it

Run "dir /s" and pastebin the output (to copy stuff from the terminal, right click and say "mark", then click and drag what you want and right click again, it should be ready to paste somewhere).
_player1537 wrote:
Run "dir /s" and pastebin the output (to copy stuff from the terminal, right click and say "mark", then click and drag what you want and right click again, it should be ready to paste somewhere).

where do I do this? Question
In the same directory/folder that you just typed "compile.bat".
here is the output

C:\Users\Krazy\Documents\MyTiData\Downloads\DCS\dcs\stuff\asm\source>dir /s
Volume in drive C is HP
Volume Serial Number is F427-CD21

Directory of C:\Users\Krazy\Documents\MyTiData\Downloads\DCS\dcs\stuff\asm\sourc
e

11/27/2011 03:26 PM <DIR> .
11/27/2011 03:26 PM <DIR> ..
11/11/2010 10:32 PM 8,473 docde7.asm
11/27/2011 03:00 PM 178 helloWorld.asm
11/11/2010 10:32 PM 15,196 mt3.asm
3 File(s) 23,847 bytes

Total Files Listed:
3 File(s) 23,847 bytes
2 Dir(s) 567,231,131,648 bytes free
Aha, run "cd .." and then "compile.bat helloWorld", and then check your asm/exec/ directory Smile
like this

C:\Users\Kyle\Documents\MyTiData\Downloads\DCS\dcs\stuff\asm\source>cd compile.b
at helloWorld
The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\Users\Kyle\Documents\MyTiData\Downloads\DCS\dcs\stuff\asm\source>cd
C:\Users\Kyle\Documents\MyTiData\Downloads\DCS\dcs\stuff\asm\source

C:\Users\Kyle\Documents\MyTiData\Downloads\DCS\dcs\stuff\asm\source>compile.bat
helloWorld
'compile.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours