I want to start learning ASM, but I can't download the programs that 28 days wants me to download, so I can't get started on learning ASM. can you please help.
Sad Sad
If I recall correctly, ASM in 28 days is just a set of HTML tutorials and images, you don't really have to download anything other than the Doors CS SDK, which can be found in the archives. Also, please capitalize the titles of the threads that you make.
I think they want you to get TASM and a linker program, but TASM is older than dirt Razz Download the DCS SDK, unzip it, and then create a .bat file in the asm/ directory called "compileMyCode.bat" or similar (don't name it "compile.bat" because you'll be using that Smile). Then put this in there (I think this is right)
Code:
compile.bat myprogram
Then, in the source directory, name your program you are working on "myprogram.z80" or "myprogram.asm", and when you want to compile it, double click the .bat file you made earlier. Then, you can send the program to WabbitEmu by going into the exec/ directory and dragging "myprogram.8xp" onto the calculator screen and test it out. Smile
_player-What is a .bat file
It's a "batch" script. Basically, it runs each line as if it were in the cmd prompt. You could just use the command line, cd (change directory) to the asm/ directory, and run "compile myprogram" from there, but this way is a bit easier. (Also, it just occurred to me that you might want to put a pause statement in there, either at the end of "compileMyProgram.bat" or "compile.bat" so that you can see any errors that you make. I think you have to do something weird, like "call compile.bat myprogram" to be able to put the pause at the end of "compileMyProgram.bat".)
_player1537 wrote:
Download the DCS SDK, unzip it, and then create a .bat file in the asm/ directory called "compileMyCode.bat" or similar (don't name it "compile.bat" because you'll be using that Smile). Then put this in there (I think this is right)
Code:
compile.bat myprogram
Then, in the source directory, name your program you are working on "myprogram.z80" or "myprogram.asm", and when you want to compile it, double click the .bat file you made earlier. Then, you can send the program to WabbitEmu by going into the exec/ directory and dragging "myprogram.8xp" onto the calculator screen and test it out. Smile

I am confused. how do you get to this
Did you unzip the DCS SDK? If so, there is a folder called "asm", then you just go in and add some files "compileMyProgram.bat" and "source\myprogram.z80", the former with the code I posted, and the latter with your program you want to compile.
Since no one seems to have mentioned the download link yet, you can grab the Doors CS SDK here:

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/341/34192.html
And, instead of messing with .bat files, you could use the SDK GUI: http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7008
Souvik, indeed! I had completely forgotten about that :/ Have you done anything new to it recently?
Kerm- already have DCS SDK
Souvik- I don't understand how to open it
Go to the second page and grab the .exe at the bottom, and put that in your dcs_sdk folder (there should be an "asm" and "basic" folder in there, also). Then, you just run the program, and follow its steps.

Edit: Disregard this (If it just works, then yay! Else, grab the .dll file that's there and put it in that same folder (so, that folder should have: asm/, basic/, the exe, and the dll), and then the exe should work.)

It should just work, as Souvik says below me.
The last post in that thread contains a link to a .exe, just download and run that.

Edit: The wizard will pop up if you haven't used the GUI before. It will download the SDK into a directory that you choose, optionally creating a desktop shortcut. Also, the .dll isn't required anymore.

@Catherine: I haven't added much to it recently; it's been mostly bug fixes.
alright any idea where I can learn ASM? (besides 28 days)
Lots of people like Hot_Dog's ASM tutorials, although they have one serious flaw (imho), he uses decimal numbers to refer to to addresses, which leads to unmemorable .org lines, and is against the style the community has used for years and years. I think that was really the only complaint people had about them, though. iirc, they were based around writing games.

This is a nice one, also: http://z80-heaven.wikidot.com/system:tutorials And, of course, there is just a general z80 instruction guide which, imho, is one of the most important references you can have. It tells you what flags various instructions touch, as well as the allowed arguments and various side effects/how things work. www.zilog.com/docs/z80/um0080.pdf
thanks _player this is in a way what I wanted. now I can start learning ASM.
And thanks to every one who has helped me thus far in my short time on cemetech.
Hot_Dog's tutorials have tons of flaws, unfortunately, especially in using decimal, not explaining hex, not teaching binary math or bit manipulation until way, way late in the tutorial (if at all?) and being targeted solely at fairly limited game-writing, in my opinion. I far prefer ASM in 28 Days. It's very, very important that you write code as you go, don't try to read a bunch of lessons and then write code. Also, ask us any questions, no matter how silly you might think they are.
KermMartian wrote:
I far prefer ASM in 28 Days. It's very, very important that you write code as you go, don't try to read a bunch of lessons and then write code. Also, ask us any questions, no matter how silly you might think they are.

I can't get Tasm onto my computer I click the file it flashes then is gone. Any ideas on what is wrong?
Yes. The DCS SDK is meant to replace TASM and the other tools you would need. Use Souvik's GUI Smile

Edit: Also, I completely second Kerm's "Ask questions, no matter how silly" statement. Asking questions, or rather, getting help from a person is what helped me finally learn ASM after having read tutorial after tutorial on it. It's amazing how much it helps.
You don't need TASM or anything, now that you have the Doors CS SDK. The DCS SDK does everything for you; just run compile <somefile> for the source file source/somefile.asm, and it will work:

1) Go to the dcs_sdk folder.
2) Shift-rightclick on the ASM folder and choose "Open Command Window Here"
3) type "compile somefile" without the quotes and hit enter. You must have somefile.asm in your dcs_sdk/asm/source folder
4) See what it says.

Things are much easier if you use Souvik's DCS SDK GUI program above.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours