_player1537 wrote:
Yes. The DCS SDK is meant to replace TASM and the other tools you would need. Use Souvik's GUI Smile

I honestly don't understand Souvik's GUI. and how do you use the SDK?
krazylegodrummer56 wrote:
_player1537 wrote:
Yes. The DCS SDK is meant to replace TASM and the other tools you would need. Use Souvik's GUI Smile

I honestly don't understand Souvik's GUI. and how do you use the SDK?
I just explained it, I thought? Very Happy I recommend taking a look inside the PDF that comes with the SDK, I spent weeks writing that for a very good reason: it explains in painstaking detail how to use the SDK. Let me know if it doesn't help.
Kerm I tried the shift right click and didn't get a "open command window here " choice
Haha, you use the DCS SDK _with_ Souvik's program. I mean, you could just do it from the command line if you _really_ felt like it, but Souvik's program is supposed to keep you from that.

It looks like (I've never used it before), you click the "Open File" button, and find your source (.z80 or .asm) code and use it. And, it would seem that it compiles the program for you. Also, the best way to figure stuff out is to read the first few posts and click random buttons Razz I'm just doing that right now, without the clicking part. Razz
Krazy: You shift-right clicked on the "asm" folder? Alternatively, you can just open the command prompt, use cd <foldername> to get to the asm folder, and run the same compile command.
I don't understand what is so confusing about my GUI, but you're welcome to post in its topic if you have a problem with it. After the wizard downloads the SDK and installs it, you just click on "Open File", browse to your .asm source file, and it will assemble it for you. From there, you can either open the compiled program in WabbitEmu or open the "exec" directory in Windows Explorer, which is where the compiled .8xp is.
I'm with you, Souvik; I thought it was quite foolproof to use. Smile I suspect that Krazy's difficulties might be something with unpacking the DCS SDK itself, though, rather than something specific to your program. I look forward to his feedback about what's confusing him.
Souvik- now that is a bit better explained I now get it thanks for that tip(AKA the window opens and asks for the file to be selected, didn't get that on the page.)

Kerm- I am still new to figuring out the different ways the instructions that are said and explained. Are you talking about the command prompt built onto the computer, and using that to program ASM?

Also how do you start programming ASM for the first time?
And can you program ASM on your calculator instead of on the computer?
Krazy, I'm talking about the command prompt built into the computer. You use that to compile your ASM programs, but not to write them. In TI-BASIC, you write your source code, and then run that directly. With ASM, you write your source code, and then you need to run that through an assembler, which turns what you wrote into a .8xp program. That's what the Doors CS SDK does for you, but you need to tell it when you want to assemble something and wheat you want to assemble. You can specify that from the command prompt, or you can use Souvik's program. Yes, you can write ASM on your calculator, but it's much harder to do so than write it on your computer. Besides speed and simplicity, one major advantage of writing ASM programs on the computer is that you can test your programs in an emulator, and if you have an error in your program, the emulator will crash instead of your real calculator.
Thanks for that info Kerm. Can I write ASM in notepad or microsoft word?
you should write it in notepad (or an other editor that saves your code as plian text). Word isn't meant for programming, and it saves in binary format, which assemblers can't read.
Never write any code in Word. Not even meant for programming, and never will be. Notepad is good *if you can't use anything else*. I suggest using Notepad++ with DeepThought's z80 Assembly language file (adds syntax coloration to z80 assembly code).
As ben_g and Ashbad say, you should use a plaintext editor. Ben_g and Krazy (and other ASM coders): if you're using Notepad instead of Notepad++, stop now and fix it. Benryves also likes Programmer's Notepad, but I haven't personally tried it.
Thing is I can't download squat. Thats why I'm wondering what you can use to write ASM code that would already be on the computer.
I can only assume that you mean "install" instead of "download", seeing as you are able to get online and download the DCS SDK Wink Here is a portable version of Notepad++.
krazylegodrummer56 wrote:
Thing is I can't download squat. Thats why I'm wondering what you can use to write ASM code that would already be on the computer.
Well, you could use Notepad, but it's quite subpar, and you'd still need to download an assembler package in the form of the Doors CS SDK. Try Notepad++, as per Catherine's suggestion.
And, for the sake of balance, here's Programmer's Notepad which I much prefer. Smile
I have tried to get programmers notepad and notepad++ but can't get them installed

thanks player I was able to get notepad++ portable.

(now how to start an asm program???)
The Doors CS SDK presents the skeleton of a simple program for you, if I recall correctly. Page 2 of the DCS SDK PDF has what you need for a simple Doors CS program:

Code:
; Program Name: 
; Author: 
; Version: 
; Date: 
; Written for Doors CS 7.0 and higher (http://dcs.cemetech.net)

.nolist
#include "ti83plus.inc"
#include "dcs7.inc"
.list
  .org progstart    ;.equ $9d93, by the way
  .db $BB,$6D
Init:
  xor d
  ret
  jr Start

.dw $0000    ;No Description
  .db $07,$00    ;always this string
  .dw $0000    ;No Icon
  .dw $0000    ;No ALEs
Start:        ;main routines

;etc etc etc <-- code goes here

;ret

If you want to simplify further, you can temporarily remove the Doors CS header:

Code:
; Program Name: 
; Author: 
; Version: 
; Date: 
; Written with the DCS SDK (http://dcs.cemetech.net)

.nolist
#include "ti83plus.inc"
#include "dcs7.inc"
.list
  .org progstart    ;.equ $9d93, by the way
  .db $BB,$6D

Start:        ;main routines

;etc etc etc <-- code goes here

;ret
Thanks Kerm now i can go and and start learning ASM.

Using the notepad++ portable, what do you have to save the document as?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours