http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/17/8863013-scientists-create-lightweight-champ

This is just amazing and astounding. It is a nickel-phosphorus lattice. it is made of 99.99% air, the .01% is made up of interconnected hollow tubes with a wall thickness of 100 nanometers.

They show a picture of a chunk of this metal sitting on top of a dandelion fluff without disturbing it.

They say to expect to see it in batteries and shock absorbers.
That's really cool. If it's sturdy enough, I could also see it being used in spacecraft to make them even lighter and easier to get out of Earth Orbit.
DShiznit wrote:
That's really cool. If it's sturdy enough, I could also see it being used in spacecraft to make them even lighter and easier to get out of Earth Orbit.

That was what I was thinking as well. Not sure on durability of the material, nickel is a rather soft metal.
tifreak8x wrote:
http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/17/8863013-scientists-create-lightweight-champ

This is just amazing and astounding. It is a nickel-phosphorus lattice. it is made of 99.99% air, the .01% is made up of interconnected hollow tubes with a wall thickness of 100 nanometers.

They show a picture of a chunk of this metal sitting on top of a dandelion fluff without disturbing it.

They say to expect to see it in batteries and shock absorbers.

*alloy

There is no way we are discovering any lighter metals. This also looks more like a lattice, than a metal. Much too crystalline... It's very cool that they can create a mesh this small. (even cooler is that the alloy is hollow on the inside)
Wow, this is awesome. It'll be interesting to see if this actually makes its way into stuff or if it just is stuck as kind of a, "Look what we can do!" thing.
ooohh, that looks pretty cool, I must admit. I wonder.. how hard would it be to make some sort of chain mail armor out of it or something? or is it not durable enough?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours