I'm looking through linux software on ticalc.org, and I come across these drivers. So to get them into the kernel, I must compile it fom source. I'm following this guide to build it. I need to know how to get the drivers into the kernel. Notes: The drivers use "DevFS" (Device File System), whatever that is...
What are you trying to do? It probably doesn't require these kernel drivers.
It even says in the description:
Quote:
Note: provided as-is because TiLP framework relies on a better replacement: libusb.

[Emphasis mine]
The TiLP drivers should probably be just fine for whatever you're trying to do.
To insert a module into a kernel, you should be able to use insmod, and rmmod to remove it. This tutorial should be able to explain it pretty well, though I don't see why you are doing that when you can use TiLP and libusb.
As with the other users in the thread, I question why you're considering pursuing this as a serious rather than rhetorical question. What benefits do you propose to gain?
KermMartian wrote:
As with the other users in the thread, I question why you're considering pursuing this as a serious rather than rhetorical question. What benefits do you propose to gain?

There was this linker...
What do you mean by "linker"? If you mean a program that can communicate with your calculator, especially for the purpose of transferring programs etc., the aforementioned TiLP can do that. All the other meaning for "linker" that occur to me are unrelated.
seana11 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

There was this linker...
This answers absolutely nothing for me. Please start making more constructive and informative posts.
TILP used to used that driver that you saw on the list, but as of TILP II it no longer uses that and you Don't have to rebuild your kernel with the driver. The libusb-0.1 and now libusb-1.0 based drivers have long since depreciated that driver and for good reason, there is almost zero need for any USB drivers to be in kernel space.
I have just realized that the original post has lost all of its relevance.
What Jonimus said. Smile Also, if you're still confused about what the dev filesystem is, you should take a look through the /dev/ directory one day and read up on the Unix precept that "everything is a file".
KermMartian wrote:
What Jonimus said. Smile Also, if you're still confused about what the dev filesystem is, you should take a look through the /dev/ directory one day and read up on the Unix precept that "everything is a file".
If only it were hat easy, but yes Unix trys to make everything a file, but in practice its not quite there. Plan 9 on the other hand got a heck of a lot closer.

The current issue with /dev/ on linux is there is it isn't auto populated with devices nodes it, hence the existence of udev and devfs(which is part of the kernel, but not as feature rich as udev) to really see where all the fun "files" are have a look in /sys and /proc(now mostly depreciated for /sys).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours