I'm thinking about getting a couple of promise rings for my girlfriend and I. Specifically, these. I was just wondering if you liked the ring, first of all. Secondly, though, what finger do you think would be an appropriate finger to wear a promise ring on in your opinion? I was thinking left ring finger, but is that reserved for a wedding band? I mean the engraving would make it obvious it's not a wedding band. What are your thoughts on this?
Hey look, Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promise_ring
Alright, that's nifty. I wasn't even thinking about that. So what finger would you wear it on?
none, I guess, I wouldn't need one as I think material items should not have some sort of hold on will power.
I don't think I quite understand what you mean, qazz. A promise ring is just a ring for romantic couples which represents their fidelity to one another. How does that bar willpower?
I would personally put it on my left ring finger.
oktal wrote:
I don't think I quite understand what you mean, qazz. A promise ring is just a ring for romantic couples which represents their fidelity to one another. How does that bar willpower?

What he's getting at is that it doesn't take an object to show fidelity. That love should be in your heart, not on your finger.
Meh, I wouldn't really care which finger I would put it on. As long as you both love each other, I don't see any problem.
DShiznit wrote:
oktal wrote:

What he's getting at is that it doesn't take an object to show fidelity. That love should be in your heart, not on your finger.

exactly, it is like saying I need a ring to stop myself from killing people, or something. I know not to kill people and remain a non-murdering psychopath, no ring tells me to do so.
I have friends that wear promise rings, while the gesture is endearing and the long-term symbology is romantic, I personally find it moot. However, I'd wear it on my ring finger.
If I had to wear one, I'd wear it on whatever finger I'm not using for... certain things I can't talk about here...
DShiznit wrote:
If I had to wear one, I'd wear it on whatever finger I'm not using for... certain things I can't talk about here...

oh, you. That's just a wonderful mental image..
qazz42 wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
oktal wrote:

exactly, it is like saying I need a ring to stop myself from killing people, or something. I know not to kill people and remain a non-murdering psychopath, no ring tells me to do so.

*hides The One Ring that tells him to be a psychopath*

Ahem.

For me, I'd keep it in my pocket, mostly, since I'm a mechanic, wearing rings is kind of a bad idea.
tifreak8x wrote:
For me, I'd keep it in my pocket, mostly, since I'm a mechanic, wearing rings is kind of a bad idea.

Kind of like how I'm a programmer, so it might get my fine ripped off of my hand due to all that furious typing.
oktal wrote:
I'm thinking about getting a couple of promise rings for my girlfriend and I. Specifically, these. I was just wondering if you liked the ring, first of all. Secondly, though, what finger do you think would be an appropriate finger to wear a promise ring on in your opinion? I was thinking left ring finger, but is that reserved for a wedding band? I mean the engraving would make it obvious it's not a wedding band. What are your thoughts on this?

The elfprincess and I wear ours on chains, as necklaces. I would suggest right-hand ring finger, but if you have, for example, a class ring that you like to wear, that is likely already on that finger, and you may not easily be able to fit two. Promise rings (at least ours) are flatter, and so are better candidates to wear on a necklace that might get tucked into a shirt.
An interesting question. Based on the topic title, I thought of a different type of promise ring (perhaps what I'm thinking of is not called a promise ring), so I had thought that this topic would be full of people like Nikky and DShiznit trolling the original poster. I would probably use something other than my left ring finger, since a ring on that finger generally means you are indeed married, but I think whatever feels the most comfortable for you. I have two rings, my high school class ring and my Order of the Engineer ring. I wear the class ring on my right ring finger on the rare occasion that I wear it, and by proper convention for Order of the Engineer members, I wear my Engineer ring on my right pinky finger.
I just saw this and like Kerm I thought of a different promise ring as well. But I would say like a lot of other people, wear it where you feel it'll be the most comfortable. That being said, I agree with qazz, for different reasons, in saying that you both shouldn't need to have a promise ring. Maybe its just me, but the idea of a promise ring and what it represents may actually hit you, and you may feel differently.

kthnxbye
I tend to feel the same way as you, 0rac343, but I don't want to beat Oktal too much over the head with the issue, since everyone else seems to be saying similar things. I'll just second your warning to think hard about one's relationship and the role that a promise right does/might play in either properly representing or substituting for an emotional maturity and fidelity that you both either do or do not feel. Smile
Kerm hits it hard, all the time.
Thanks Kerm.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours