Jonathan_Pezzino wrote:
Yes, I see it as mocking the Bible in a way. The symbol for God is "Deep Magic" - how laughably true!

Mocking?? I think many people see it as a palatable representation of religion for children.
Jonathan_Pezzino wrote:
Yes, I see it as mocking the Bible in a way. The symbol for God is "Deep Magic" - how laughably true!

actually no....it's "The Emperor Over the Sea"

"Deep Magic" is the symbol for God's power....and btw C.S.Lewis was a Christian when he wrote it
elfprince13 wrote:
Jonathan_Pezzino wrote:

"Deep Magic" is the symbol for God's power....and btw C.S.Lewis was a Christian when he wrote it

Yeah, it's something of a parable.
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
Jonathan_Pezzino wrote:

Yeah, it's something of a parable.

IF you read the whole series in chronological order it starts with Genesis (The Magician's Nephew), the "crucifixion" (Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe), and Revelations (The Last Battle)
patl411 wrote:
the movie was mainy about the message, not the effects.

the movie failed miserably at pushing the message - i read the book awile ago and liked it, tho i really don't remember any of it....
Kllrnohj wrote:
patl411 wrote:
the movie was mainy about the message, not the effects.

the movie failed miserably at pushing the message - I read the book awile ago and liked it, tho I really don't remember any of it....

I have to say the move stuck better to the book, then the LOTR movies stuck to the LOTR books, although that may be because CS Lewis's stepson was the co-producer of Narnia, whereas Tolkien's son is just interested in making money off the anything related to Middle Earth
If Tolkein were still alive, the LOTR movies would still be in production. He would probably have had everything in the book in those movies.
kirb wrote:
If Tolkien were still alive, the LOTR movies would still be in production. He would probably have had everything in the book in those movies.

which is why Im glad Orson Scott Card is helping with the script for Ender's Game, and he used to be a playwright.....

Peter Jackson completely ruined Elrond, Faramir, Denethor, and Treebeard, and seriously screwed up Aragorn, Gandalf, and Galadriel....Sam was good though Smile

at least Michael Tolkien won't let Jackson do the Silmarillion.....
YAY! Ender's Game movie, I hope that does stick to the book, but then again, doesn't J.K.Rowling help with the Harry Potter movies?
elfprince13 wrote:
Peter Jackson completely ruined Elrond, Faramir, Denethor, and Treebeard, and seriously screwed up Aragorn, Gandalf, and Galadriel....Sam was good though Smile

I though the movies were quite good and stuck to the book as well as could be expected (sure, alot was cut out, but get the extended edition's to see how much of it really was filmed, theres another 30min - 40min of additional movie for each of em)
Well, the least they could have done is split the books where they sere supposed to be. I can't remember names, but the man who died fighting one of the orcs at the end of first movie/beginning of second book.
kirb wrote:
Well, the least they could have done is split the books where they sere supposed to be. I can't remember names, but the man who died fighting one of the orcs at the end of first movie/beginning of second book.

Boromir....

kllrnohj wrote:
I though the movies were quite good and stuck to the book as well as could be expected (sure, alot was cut out, but get the extended edition's to see how much of it really was filmed, theres another 30min - 40min of additional movie for each of em)

yeah.....right....like the Ents being tricked into fighting Saruman....Faramir taking Frodo and Sam back to Gondor...making it look like Gandalf's a coward by having him be the one afraid of Moria instead of Aragorn....having Saruman die by falling of a tower...making Denethor a slobbering mad man....and then leaving out scouring of the Shire, the Houses of Healing, and ghan-buri-ghan
elfprince13 wrote:
like the Ents being tricked into fighting Saruman

i thought thats how it DID happen in the book, although its been awile since i've read it...

and i'm glad they didn't follow the book 100%, cause then it woud have been a boring as hell movie. Books and movies are different, and the slight variations added to the movie

Quote:
and then leaving out scouring of the Shire, the Houses of Healing, and ghan-buri-ghan

i read the books, but i don't remember any of those - they weren't critical to the story line, and the movie's were long enough as it is

Quote:

the second book didn't end with helm's deep either, but i think they split the movies up more based on time, than on events Wink
i saw it today it was awesome, nice visual effects and nice message!!
The special effects are the only reason I even remember it. Laughing
im guesin that most of u dont kno and dont care about the message behind it, and that is rather sad.
I know about it, but since it is presented in so many other ways I didn't pay much attention to it.
patl411 wrote:
im guesin that most of u dont kno and dont care about the message behind it, and that is rather sad.

I most certainly do...my Dad is a Tolkien scholar/Computer Science professor, and he also knows a lot about Lewis....of course the message is even more overt in Lewis' space trilogy
patl411 wrote:

im gussin you didn't bother reading the page or so of discussions in this thread concerning the message behind it Rolling Eyes
Kllrnohj wrote:
im gussin you didn't bother reading the page or so of discussions in this thread concerning the message behind it Rolling Eyes

maybe u havent read the post ppl have made, cuz i dont think any1 has talked about the message at all

elfprince13 wrote:
I most certainly do...my Dad is a Tolkien scholar/Computer Science professor, and he also knows a lot about Lewis....of course the message is even more overt in Lewis' space trilogy

TOLKIEN SCHOLAR/SCIEINCE PROFFESSOR?!?!?! wtf does that have to do with it? its about christianity and the bible, not science or tolkien

Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours