Alright, well i have been away for awhile (not that i was here for long to begin with) but i had several things that arouse that needed to be taken care of, i hope to be back on the site more often!

anyway, i am having a great deal issues with the new PC i just built, hopefully you gentlemen can help

Background: I recently upgraded my system and have inside the Radeon HD 6870 graphics card, an ASUS M4A87T Motheboard, DDR3 1333MHz 8Gb RAM, AMD Phenom II Black Edition Multi core Processor (3.2Ghz), and a 620W PSU. Nothing is modified or Overclocked and neither the CPU, Processor, nor Graphics card temperature gets very high.

Problem: After successfully putting the computer together, and installing all of the drivers, the system was running OK until, for no specific reason, black and gray vertical lines were displayed on the monitor, after a reboot and going to a base configuration without changing any settings the monitor would still show the lines, or a black screen, this would happen after the computer had booted up and I had been logged in for 10-15 minutes. There does not seem to be any pattern to the issue. Furthermore i am able to play Skyrim on high settings with no lag, but as soon as i exit the game, or randomly while playing the screen will go to the black screen or gray bars.

Attempts: In attempt to try and fix the problem, I have tried using 2 different monitors each under several different formats (VGA, DVI, HDMI) all of the exhibit the same issue, the same while trying many different resolutions and refresh rates. I have attached a picture of the lines, and here is a video of the problem occuring, (the problem occurs at 1:20)

http://youtu.be/bSGmR27Srnk

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

if you need any more info let me know!

picture of the monitor -
http://i.imgur.com/ZBtrZ.jpg
Others having the problem reported that the ram chips were failing kn the graphics card. If you can configure the card at all, try scaling the ram freq. to under 700MHz.
I believe his Graphics Card is new, Which means the ram should not be failing already.
Another cause highlighted was that the CPU power was being applied to the GPU. Don't know much about that.

Helpful Google is helpful.
Sounds like your video card is fried. I doubt the monitor is the culprit. If possible, REM the video card.
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
I believe his Graphics Card is new, Which means the ram should not be failing already.
Totally fallacious. Actually, graphics cards are most likely to fail either right after you get them or much longer into their lives, because manufacturing defects generally appear fairly quickly when the card is put under load. I'm slightly concerned about a 6870 running on a 620W power supply, but I'm running four HDDs, 8GB, a quadcore, and a six-output 6950 on a 620W supply, so it should be ok.
You are using the latest drivers from amd.com, correct? The ones that come with the card are trash, don't waste your time installing those

Also try just using one stick of system RAM at a time, and see if maybe one of those is bad.
KermMartian wrote:
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
Totally fallacious. Actually, graphics cards are most likely to fail either right after you get them or much longer into their lives, because manufacturing defects generally appear fairly quickly when the card is put under load. I'm slightly concerned about a 6870 running on a 620W power supply, but I'm running four HDDs, 8GB, a quadcore, and a six-output 6950 on a 620W supply, so it should be ok.

Thanks. I had not thought of that. also. GEEZE. Send me your desktop for christmas!!! haha
Kllrnohj wrote:
You are using the latest drivers from amd.com, correct? The ones that come with the card are trash, don't waste your time installing those

Also try just using one stick of system RAM at a time, and see if maybe one of those is bad.
Along those lines, did you try memtesting the machine? Many Linux LiveCDs such as Ubuntu (and even Windows now, I think) will be happy to do that for you.
KermMartian wrote:
Along those lines, did you try memtesting the machine? Many Linux LiveCDs such as Ubuntu (and even Windows now, I think) will be happy to do that for you.

memtest would be good too, but in this case it sounds easily reproducible, so just testing sticks one at a time would likely be faster than a ~20 hour memtest run.

Reseating the video card would be something to try as well, make sure it has solid contact in the slot and is clipped in
Kllrnohj wrote:
Reseating the video card would be something to try as well, make sure it has solid contact in the slot and is clipped in

THIS. This same visual problem occurs on the Xbox 360 right before an E65, which in turn happens when the video hardware begins to lose connection due to being warped out of place from intense heat and weak solder.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours