But I'm poor, and if I'm going to get something just for the techie fun I think I'll go for something a little more cost-effective, like the raspberry pi. I could get something 4-5 times more powerful for a quarter of the price, and it already runs linux Very Happy
willrandship wrote:
But I'm poor, and if I'm going to get something just for the techie fun I think I'll go for something a little more cost-effective, like the raspberry pi. I could get something 4-5 times more powerful for a quarter of the price, and it already runs linux Very Happy
You should contribute to our topic on the subject, then. Wink Do you jab the "Go to the new posts" link in the upper-left when you first arrive each day?
comicIDIOT wrote:
It's in that gray area between mobile and computer.

No it isn't. There isn't anything even slightly mobile about the Apple TV.

Quote:
So, what's used to run the game and push a 720p signal to the TV?

pushing a 720p signal is a breeze. That isn't even hard for the GPU to do.

Quote:
Where does the CPU come into play, and how hard would it work?

Depends on the app.

Quote:
On an Android, okay. How I got that? You're so pro-Android that when you say how ugly it would look blown up. I can only imagine you're referring to Android. The iPad 2 & iPhone 4s stream wirelessly in 720p and the game I embedded the video for above has the textures to match that output. I suggest you plug that Micro HDMI Cable into your phone and TV and play an app that is capable of showing you HD graphics on your TV.

No, iPad2 and iPhone4S too. They simply don't have the horsepower to match a current gen console (which is already, what, 4 years old?), no where near it. Heck, current gen consoles can't even render at 720p. I know you're neck deep in RDF bullcrap, but no.

Quote:
Slow? Compared to modern consoles, sure. Noticeable? Not in the slightest.

It is extraordinarily noticeable. Even the best iOS game looks like trash next to a modern console game. You do have to take off your "I <3 Steve Jobs" glasses first, though.

Quote:
Prove it to me. Just realize that when you cut this from your next post, you'll be admitting you pulled this out of thin air Wink

Holy crap you really don't have any clue what you are posting. Seriously, wtf?

FYI:
ComicIDIOT wrote:
Though I've only seen that displayed with the iPad 2. In the YouTube thumbnail below, notice the iPad there with the map graphic while the TV displays the actual game.

And despite being an Apple product, it's still just being used in that video as a controller.
Let's focus on this, because the rest of this can go on for pages.

Kllrnohj wrote:
Holy crap you really don't have any clue what you are posting. Seriously, wtf?

FYI:
ComicIDIOT wrote:
Though I've only seen that displayed with the iPad 2. In the YouTube thumbnail below, notice the iPad there with the map graphic while the TV displays the actual game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxj1QuKebdQ

And despite being an Apple product, it's still just being used in that video as a controller.

Yes I do, do you have any idea? That's not proof. Try one more time. Read my post again and tell me how, just how, am I implying it's being used as a controller.
comicIDIOT wrote:
Let's focus on this, because the rest of this can go on for pages.

Yes I do, do you have any idea? That's not proof. Try one more time. Read my post again and tell me how, just how, am I implying it's being used as a controller.

I'm actually at a loss for words. I mean, I know you're not the sharpest tool in the shed, but seriously?
Okay, let's start from the top! Smile

It all starts here.

kllrnohj wrote:
And for streaming iOS games to the TV, aside from the "why the hell would you want that?", I just plug my phone in with an HDMI cable and screw being limited to "compatible games".

And I state that certain games recognize when the device screen is being shared with the TV. And, link a youtube video.

comicIDIOT wrote:
In the YouTube thumbnail below, notice the iPad there with the map graphic while the TV displays the actual game.

Where, you watch the video and state,

kllrnohj wrote:
You know what works better than an iPad 2 as a game controller? *ANYTHING*.

And basically, that's where the "I didn't bring that up" and "Yes you did" back-forth started. Which, I didn't bring it up. You *believe* I did because you looked at the picture and video and failed to read. And, repeatedly (Assuming you re-read the posts from where this all began, Like I've just laid out here, to try and prove to me I did bring up controllers), failed to do go back and read the post.

So, if you cut out the visuals in the above quote and leave the text, you get:

Quote:
In the YouTube thumbnail below, notice the iPad there with the map graphic while the TV displays the actual game.

In which, is stated:

Quote:
In the YouTube thumbnail below

THUMBNAL, not VIDEO. So, you're playing Captain Obvious to my knowledge on computers and pulling hair out over a 48 second video that you didn't need to watch. Kudos. Massive ones too. For someone who sure knows his stuff, you sure can fail pretty hard thanks to your stubbornness.

Why did I include a video when I wanted to focus on the thumbnail of it? Who cares, I typed stuff into google and that was the first result that suited my needs.

What are you going to rebuttal with now? Thats a still-frame preview? Oh big whoop. According to a dictionary, Thumbnail & Preview, thumbnail is a better word than preview in the case at hand.

--

Lastly, for future reference, this is what proof looks like. Not that weak sauce attempt you pulled earlier.

kllrnohj wrote:
ComicIDIOT wrote:

derp, I have no idea what I going on in this topic anymore....
I'm pretty sure kllrnohj is trying to say "Compared to consoles, smartphones suck" which is true.
willrandship wrote:
I'm pretty sure kllrnohj is trying to say "Compared to consoles, smartphones suck" which is true.

Actually I think it was more like "compared to anything else that plays games, smartphones suck". Remember, PC's play games too. And so do $3000 Macs, to an extent.
So do C64s Razz but I think a smartphone wins there Cool
DShiznit wrote:
willrandship wrote:

Actually I think it was more like "compared to anything else that plays games, smartphones suck". Remember, PC's play games too. And so do $3000 Macs, to an extent.
I think I'd probably support that statement, not because of Apple specifically, but because something that's designed to be a phone just isn't going to have the horsepower / buttons / useability as a gaming platform of something that's dedicated to gaming or is better suited (calculators!).
yeah, gaming is usually hard on my Archos, castlevania is quite the pain when you can't even jump or move right XD
I to, find games incredibly unnatural to play without proper buttons and joysticks. Especially games that require "touch joysticks" to move around. While some racing games have a great control scheme (hold screen to brake, tilt to steer, automatic acceleration) it is still quite odd to play - I don't even opt in to tilt my PS3 controller when racing in MotorStorm or a game that accepts tilt functions as steering - which is where I'm hoping the PSVita will excel, not necessarily with homebrew but with games in general.
comicIDIOT wrote:

Let's not, as I don't have the time to give you yet ANOTHER smack down. Go crawl back into your Apple cave.

Quote:

Bingo

Quote:
So do C64s but I think a smartphone wins there

In terms of playing games the C64 would totally win that. The smartphone could produce prettier graphics, but you wouldn't be able to see them with your hands in the way, nor would you have any semblance of control or feedback.
Well, not all smartphones lack buttons. I would always go for one with a qwerty keyboard, like the droid series. highly fitting for C64.
Kllrnohj wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:

Let's not.

I already did. The best part though, I finished it in the same post too.
willrandship wrote:
Well, not all smartphones lack buttons. I would always go for one with a qwerty keyboard, like the droid series. highly fitting for C64.
This is true, but I still feel like smartphone keyboards are far too small and cramped to be a good option for gaming.
This is true. That's why you buy an iControlPad or make yourself a bluetooth gamepad mount Very Happy
willrandship wrote:
This is true. That's why you buy an iControlPad or make yourself a bluetooth gamepad mount Very Happy
Or you can just get yourself a real gaming device. Rolling Eyes And we're back full-circle on the argument.
This argument cracked me up. Best laugh I have had in a long time.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 9
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours