Halloween decorations
Cheesy
 28%  [ 2 ]
Fun
 71%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 7

So I'm making the scariest candy basket in the world right now. Going to use the cap sense library in Arduino to flash red LEDs and trigger a sound effect on my computer which warns trick-or-treaters to "Take only one piece." The sound effect is me saying "take only one piece," through an effect called monster in garage band. What are you guys working on?
EDIT: here is my processing code. In order to make it work, you'll need to save the project, and put an mp3 file named take_one_piece in the folder.

Code:
/**
 * Load File
 * by Damien Di Fede.
 * This sketch demonstrates how to use the <code>loadFile</code> method
 * of <code>Minim</code>. The <code>loadFile</code> method allows you to
 * specify the file you want to load with a <code>String</code> and optionally
 * specify what you want the buffer size of the returned <code>AudioPlayer</code>
 * to be. If you don't specify a buffer size, the returned player will have a
 * buffer size of 1024. Minim is able to play wav files, au files, aif files,
 * snd files, and mp3 files. When you call <code>loadFile</code>, if you just
 * specify the filename it will try to load the file from the data folder of
 * your sketch. However, you can also specify an absolute path
 * (such as "C:\foo\bar\thing.wav") and the file will be loaded from that
 * location (keep in mind that won't work from an applet). You can also specify
 * a URL (such as "http://www.mysite.com/mp3/song.mp3") but keep in mind that
 * if you run the sketch as an applet you may run in to security restrictions
 * if the applet is not on the same domain as the file you want to load. You can
 * get around the restriction by signing the applet. Before you exit your sketch
 * make sure you call the <code>close</code> method of any <code>AudioPlayer</code>'s
 * you have received from <code>loadFile</code>, followed by the <code>stop</code>
 * method of <code>Minim</code>.
 */

import ddf.minim.*;

AudioPlayer player;
Minim minim;

void setup()
{
  size(512, 200, P2D);

minim = new Minim(this);

// load a file, give the AudioPlayer buffers that are 1024 samples long
  // player = minim.loadFile("groove.mp3");

// load a file, give the AudioPlayer buffers that are 2048 samples long
  player = minim.loadFile("take_one_piece.mp3", 2048);
  // play the file
 player.play();
}

void stop()
{
  // always close Minim audio classes when you are done with them
  player.close();
  minim.stop();

super.stop();
}
That's a very interesting and cool decoration idea Smile DYI creepy pumpkin thing!

Mine house is always bland; which is fine, don't need 'dos pesky rugrats 'round my land! My mom usually just puts up this weird fake spiderweb thing that is really hard to pull off of the bushes she puts them in; they usually don't go down until early January.
Hm, there was a Ask Slashdot on this topic earlier today.

My favority was someone creating a motion-sensing rig with large inflatible monster-things (dismantle stuffed toys and replicate the pattern but larger and with minor creepy modifications) and compressed air- the stated goal was to get these things inflating from "a black pile of debris on the ground to two meters tall in under a second".
I love doing Halloween decorations! We have the scariest house on our block, and have suffered in the amount of trick-or-treaters accordingly. We once had a group of 4 kids that were scared out of their minds. The made it to the front door (Taking 10 minutes to get down our driveway, past our display) only to find out that5 they had to go to the display to get candy. They finally wimped out after another 5 minutes. Meanwhile, I was sitting on the front lawn trying sooo hard not to laugh, and not realizing that my dad had gone searching for me for some reason. So there wasn't anyone actually manning the station after all. I couldn't do it, as I would have had to run across the lawn to get to it. I wasn't all that scary either, because I dressed up as "soup"erman. So I ended up scaring the sh** out of them when they reached the front door, and I told them that they had to go to the display to get their candy. Just shows how jittery people can get on a dark night. I will see If I can post pics of our display.
Cool idea, Oweng. Seana, that sounds like a lot of fun! I used to have a great time putting up Halloween decorations, but I can't say I've worried about it too much in recent years, unfortunately.
So Development of my "diy creepy pumpkin thing" is coming along rather smoothly. I got the capacitive sensitivity working very well in my basement. Now, I just need to get it to flash a bunch of LEDs and trigger the sound.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours