how should I make tthe graphics?
ascii art
 25%  [ 5 ]
Xlib
 75%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 20

Sorunome wrote:
It looks ok. I think I would make it in Axe, to make it fast with better graphics, but that's better than nothing! ^^

This is just a rough draft without any graphics. I will add graphics later along with crafting, mobs, health, and day and night
Spud: can you capitalize your "I"s, proper nouns, and capitalize the beginning of your sentences. It will help people take you more seriously as a programmer if you have good grammar.
Sure I'll try.

update on the status of ti-craft

Gravity Engine: 99%

Terrain builder: 50%

Block Editing Engine: 50%

Crafting: 0%

Mobs:0%

Day and Night: 0%

Good Idea
Sorunome wrote:
It looks ok. I think I would make it in Axe, to make it fast with better graphics, but that's better than nothing! ^^
Since he's good at BASIC, I'd personally recommend hybrid BASIC, but we're both jumping ahead of the game. I too was expecting a top-down game, but this makes a fair bit of sense, actually. Seana, thanks for the grammar prod.
Thanks Kerm for saying that I'm good at BASIC but to tell you the truth i think that I'm still a beginner at BASIC and any kind of programming. But still, thanks.

Graphics: 75%

Gravity Engine: 100%

Block Editing Engine: 98%

Crafting: 1%

Health: 100%

Mobs:0%

Let me clarify what I meant. I mean that of the two major and two minor languages for the TI-83+/84+ (namely BASIC, ASM; C, Axe), you have thus far started with BASIC, so it makes sense to stick to continue to learning that. Smile

Can you tell us more about what some of those features entail? Any more screenshots for us?
seana11 wrote:
Spud: can you capitalize your "I"s, proper nouns, and capitalize the beginning of your sentences. It will help people take you more seriously as a programmer if you have good grammar.

Since there's a love for good sentence structure going on, I'll improve your sentence to make it highly sophisticated as well Smile watch out for parallelism conflicts and unneeded repetition! Wink

Quote:
Spud, could you please capitalize your I's, proper nouns and the beginnings of your sentences? This will aid others in treating you seriously; if you do, they will treat you both as an intelligent member of Cemetech and as a skilled programmer.

Graphics: 75%

Gravity Engine: 100%

Block Editing Engine: 98%

Crafting: 1%

Health: 100%

Inventory: 5%

Mobs: 0%

Sorunome wrote:

This actually sounds like the perfect project for Axe, since you can easily represent everything as 2D sprites and simple data structures. I'd still go with Kerm's advice to use what you know, though.
i know a fare bit of axe
DEFINITELY make this in AXE! It would be SO worth the extra effort!

...I have another idea as well; and this is a general idea I'd like to see elsewhere. A game like this requires a lot of processing power. I'll bet that if it were running on a computer (or other device?) and the calculator(s) were connected (like a client/server deal) that perhaps this kind of game could be bigger/faster. I think that's how Gossamer works, right? (i.e. a filter modifies webpages before sending them to the calc).
Why go with Axe? Changing languages just kills projects (Look at what's happened to TaNF over time -- at least I'm sticking with something now) and if you are as far along as you claim you are, then why change for the hell of it? I personally am not more impressed with an Axe project over a TI-BASIC project; in fact, usually the opposite if the person just changes languages to Axe just for added speed and better graphics. Stick with what will yield better progress.
It really depends, if the advantages outweigh what it takes to recode it in Axe, it may work.

and hi Ashbad. Haven't really seen you around for a while.
jhgenius wrote:
It really depends, if the advantages outweigh what it takes to recode it in Axe, it may work.

Depends on what you call "advantages". Speed and better graphics may seem like better advantages, but are they really something that's worth a trade off of either core gameplay, shorter development time, or possibly both? If Spud can do it, then I think he should. It's just that I prefer a well-wrought and slow TI-BASIC game than a half-cooked and fast Axe one.

jhgenius wrote:

Where have you been hiding, under a rock? Laughing But more seriously, welcome to Cemetech, hope you enjoy your stay; please introduce yourself here Smile
Yeah, I'm not really new to cemetech, just haven't posted much but thanks anyway.
Ashbad wrote:
jhgenius wrote:

Depends on what you call "advantages". Speed and better graphics may seem like better advantages, but are they really something that's worth a trade off of either core gameplay, shorter development time, or possibly both? If Spud can do it, then I think he should. It's just that I prefer a well-wrought and slow TI-BASIC game than a half-cooked and fast Axe one.

jhgenius wrote:

Where have you been hiding, under a rock? 0x5 But more seriously, welcome to Cemetech, hope you enjoy your stay; please introduce yourself here Smile

True that. We'll see how the Basic version goes. Then possibly if necessary an Axe version could be made.
Qwerty.55 wrote:
Sorunome wrote:

This actually sounds like the perfect project for Axe, since you can easily represent everything as 2D sprites and simple data structures. I'd still go with Kerm's advice to use what you know, though.
I think he's better off, if he wants to start getting fancy, to try for some Hybrid basic, personally. I definitely agree with Ashbad on the well-wrought vs. half-cooked argument.
shkaboinka wrote:
A game like this requires a lot of processing power. I'll bet that if it were running on a computer (or other device?) and the calculator(s) were connected (like a client/server deal) that perhaps this kind of game could be bigger/faster.
Then again, we're not displaying a million textured cubes on the screen at once; the highest number of visual elements that TI-Basic can muster is just shy of 6,000 (and that's talking objects with binary states).
I think that I'm guna stick with hybrid basic because the way I'm making the game works best with hybrid basic.

PS. havn't got much done lately because of coders block. if anyone has any ideas about how to do the inventory and crafting that would be great and if you could even write up the code that would be awesome too. I'm asking for someone to do this for me I'm just saying that if someone wants to help they're welcome to. I will of coarse give them credit for their work.
My two cents:

You're making something along the lines of Terraria.
Just use that game as an example.
But its guna be closer to Minecraft than Terraria In so many ways

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours