This image is currently the front page of the Apple website:

Regardless of your personal feelings about Apple products, this is the end of an era, and a sad moment in the history of the entertainment and computing industries.
Geez! When did this happen?! My sympathies...
Rest in peace, Steve Jobs -- we thank you for all of your genius contributions that forever changed our society, decade after decade after decade. We will miss you dearly. Goodbye, friend.
This is very sad :/ The Wikipedia article said that he was suffering from pancreatic cancer. I can't imagine how it felt to be handing your company away, knowing you would die soon. As much as I resent some of his products, I can't help but respect him as a businessman.
_player1537 wrote:
This is very sad :/ The Wikipedia article said that he was suffering from pancreatic cancer. I can't imagine how it felt to be handing your company away, knowing you would die soon. As much as I resent some of his products, I can't help but respect him as a businessman.

He's been due to such a tragedy for well over a year now -- he kept passing the "time until he would die", his health was pretty much a ticking time bomb. While he was ready to pass on any time, this still comes as a shock to me; the fact that he's now gone is really an major one.
http://www.apple.com/stevejobs/ wrote:
If you would like to share your thoughts, memories, and condolences, please email rememberingsteve@apple.com
Wow, this is horrible. Sad Even though I dislike most Apple products, I have to respect him as a great leader and innovator.
elfprince13 wrote:
http://www.apple.com/stevejobs/ wrote:
If you would like to share your thoughts, memories, and condolences, please email rememberingsteve@apple.com

I just took the time to share something. Don't know what will happen to it, but I felt it was a nice way to remember him.
Thanks for sharing elfprince. Never would have known otherwise.
As I said on IRC, as much as I despise Macs and iPods, I am still saddened to see him die. :/
allynfolksjr wrote:
Thanks for sharing elfprince. Never would have known otherwise.

No problem!
My standard statement on the matter is that it's sad that he died so young, and that even though I dislike his company, I must respect him as a businessman. As a friend and I were discussing, he did not invent the GUI or the mouse (you can thank Xerox for that) but he did have the foresight to envision its use. I don't know how much of Apple's recent products are actual products of his business expertise rather than the product of the environment he created at Apple, but I don't think anyone would argue that he wasn't partially responsible for creating a very successful (perhaps even cutthroat) company and a widely recognized brand.
 ⌘

Rest in peace Steve Jobs, you started the company I fell in love with, and brought the company I fell in love with back to life when it needed it most. You had the foresight to bring the right things to the right markets at the right times, and to invest in the right people. Without you, some of my favorite movies would never exist, my favorite songs wouldn't be in my hands as easily, and I wouldn't have ever gotten into computers the way I did.
CDI wrote:
 ⌘

Rest in peace Steve Jobs, you started the company I fell in love with, and brought the company I fell in love with back to life when it needed it most. You had the foresight to bring the right things to the right markets at the right times, and to invest in the right people. Without you, some of my favorite movies would never exist, my favorite songs wouldn't be in my hands as easily, and I wouldn't have ever gotten into computers the way I did.

Indeed. A lot of us seem to be forgetting his influence at Pixar and Disney.
I don't think he was anywhere near as imaginative or innovative as everyone was always saying, but Steve Jobs was a dam cool dude, and a snappy dresser. Sad to see him go, but incredible foresight on his part setting the company's affairs in order just days before his death, preventing what could have been a catastrophic internal power struggle.

[slightly off-topic]
What if he didn't actually "die" in the traditional sense, but actually found a way to transfer his consciousness from his dying body into a self-sustaining computer network? If any man in history up to this point could ever pull that off, it would be Steve Jobs.
I don't think we have that level of technology, DShiznit.
Lucas W wrote:
I don't think we have that level of technology, DShiznit.
We don't, but if anyone could develop it, it would be Steve Jobs...

It also occurs to me that he could have had himself cryogenically frozen, either before death to try and cure it in the future(technically not legal, buy hey, it's Steve Jobs), or after death(as a few eccentric millionaires have actually done) in the hopes of being revived later.
They should totally cut his head off and put him in a head-tank and put him with the others.
Sad day in tech. He was a hell of a showman.

DShiznit wrote:
We don't, but if anyone could develop it, it would be Steve Jobs...

Based off of what? Apple always uses existing technology, they don't do much R&D themselves except in how to make prettier cases.
Lucas W wrote:
They should totally cut his head off and put him in a head-tank and put him with the others.

While that is actually done, I would bet Jobs would spring for the full-body preservation, to maximize his chances of being revived. With full-body preservation, you're banking on future technology being able to thaw and restart your existing body. If its just your head, you're banking on future technology being able to do all that, and reattach your head to a brand-new body or apparatus.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours