Hello everyone,

Please use this thread to comment on the following three programs, submitted by Jonathan L. Moscovici.

If you wish your improvements to be published along with your name, please let me know.

Optionally, you can show your own code on this thread as well; however, please specify IF you want Haulwind to publish it in its network AND whether improvements made in this thread should be included.

All the best,

ilia
Haulwind Team member
=============================================
Here we present a program to convert quadratic expression in canonical
form. A(x – H)2 + K to general form Ax2 + Bx + C. Program for TI-83 calculator By Jonathan L. Moscovici.

Code:
Disp “Canonical To General“
Disp “A(X – H)2 + K“

Prompt A, H, K
A →A
(-2(AH) ) →B
(((A)H2) + K) →C

Disp “General Form“
Disp “AX2 + BX + C“
Disp “A“ , A ►Frac
Disp “B“ , B ►Frac
Disp “C“ , C ►Frac
Pause

Here we present a program to compute the area of a triangle using the
coordinates of its vertices A, B and C. Program for TI-83 calculator By Jonathan L. Moscovici. Using material from Kimberling, C. "Triangle Centers and Central Triangles." Congr. Numer. 129, 1-295, 1998.

Code:
ClrHome
Disp "Area Of A Triangle“
Input “A:X:“ ,A
Input “A:Y:” ,B
Input “B:X:“ ,C
Input “B:Y:“ ,D
Input “C:X:“ ,E
Input “C:Y:“ ,F

( √( (C – A)2 + (D – B)2 ) ) →H
( √( (E – C)2 + (F – D)2 ) ) →I
( √( (E – A)2 + (F – B)2 ) ) →G
( (G + H + I) / (2) ) →S
( √( (S) * (S – G) * (S – H) * (S – I) ) ) →J

Disp “AREA:“ , J
Pause

Here we present a program to solve the system:
Ax + By = C, Dx + Ey = F. Program for TI-83 calculator By Jonathan L. Moscovici.
Using material from Weisstein, Eric W. "Cramer's Rule." From MathWorld--A Wolfram Web Resource. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CramersRule.html

Code:

ClrHome
Disp "Solve"
Disp "AX + BY = C"
Disp "DX + EY = F“
Input “A:“ , A
Input “B:“ , B
Input “C:“ , C
Input “D:“ , D
Input “E:“ , E
Input “F:“ , F

( ( (BF)-(CE) ) / ( (BD)-(AE) ) ) → X
( ( (CD)-(AF) ) / ( (BD)-(AE) ) ) → Y

Disp “X:“ , X ►Frac
Disp “Y:“ , Y ►Frac
Pause

Umm, are you trying to sell us a program that has less than 10 lines of code?
_player1537 wrote:
Umm, are you trying to sell us a program that has less than 10 lines of code?

Umm, dude, it's actually 14 lines he's trying to sell.
Optimized:

Code:

Prompt A,H,K
Disp “General Form“,“AX2 + BX + C“,“A“,A ►Frac,“B“,-2AH►Frac,“C“,AH2+K►Frac
Pause

3 lines Razz
Qwerty.55 wrote:
Optimized:

Code:

Prompt A,H,K
Disp “General Form“,“AX2 + BX + C“,“A“,A ►Frac,“B“,-2AH►Frac,“C“,AH2+K►Frac
Pause

3 lines Razz

No, 4 lines, since you had an extra blank line on the first line. That's like $10 of value you just forgot about.

Code:
Prompt A,H,K
Disp “General Form“,“AX2 + BX + C“,“A“,A ►Frac,“B“,-2AH►Frac,“C
Pause AH2+K►Frac

fix'd

Also, learn to use code blocks. [ code ]//your code here[/ code ] (without the spaces).
I have a request: That all of these <20 line programs be bundled into a single larger program that offers their functionality without significant slowing down the calc by filling up the VAT. Would that be possible?
Qwerty.55 wrote:
I have a request: That all of these <20 line programs be bundled into a single larger program that offers their functionality without significant slowing down the calc by filling up the VAT. Would that be possible?

It'll be worth less then. You have to think like a businessman!
Or business women! (I don't really know...)
Considering that the author is listed as "Jonathan L. Moscovici," I don't think the feminine gender is the right one to use.
But it's a large group of people. Perhaps there is one woman in that group Wink
_player1537 wrote:
But it's a large group of people. Perhaps there is one woman in that group Wink

Based on the Laws of Equality, for each 5 employees, 1.73 of them will be women in a technology job. Since a company this large is bound to have at least 50 people, I think Tanner stands uncorrected, since there are probably 17.3 women working for the organization.
Dear _player1537, thank you for your recommendations, code tags will be used henceforth as suggested. Also, we do have have women on our team, as highlighted on the linkedin company employee overview page.

Qwerty.55 and Ashbad, the option on combining all programs into one with a menu and listing it under one thread is currently being discussed on our end. Can you delve more on the subject? What are your thoughts _player1537?
It shouldn't be too hard to combine all of your programs into one big program, a couple of If-Then-End blocks with code should do it. Also, remember to add a cool menu, or use the DCSB GUI Menu. Smile
Just to make sure, you know that you don't need to use Dear So-and-So, right? This isn't an email, you can just respond normally. Also, don't feel like you have to "sell" us anything. The things that we've seen you write (program-wise) have been done numerous times before. So, rather than use this forum like a public market to sell your programs to, it would probably be beneficial to use it as a place to get help with programs and feedback.
Hi _player1537,

Full disclosure: these programs are free and their code is published freely; though, it seems that it should be listed on one thread and with one menu, according to recent reviews.

My goal is to gather your feedback about these programs, in order to assess if there is demand and interest in pursuing further developments, without selling anything to contributors.

In exchange for recent improvements of the code published on multiple threads, I am open to listing all you as contributing editors on copies publishing in other mediums (slideshare, scribd, docstoc, etc.), if you're interested.

Please let me know of your thoughts.
JosJuice wrote:
SirCmpwn wrote:
(Assuming this is serious)
Here's some optimization:

Code:
ClrHome
Disp "Solve","AX + BY = C","DX + EY = F
Input “A:“,A
Input “B:“,B
Input “C:“,C
Input “D:“,D
Input “E:“,E
Input “F:“,F
(((BF)-(CE))/((BD)-(AE→X
(((CD)-(AF))/((BD)-(AE→Y
Disp “X:“,X ►Frac,"Y:
Pause Y ►Frac

Why not use Prompt instead of Input? Storing stuff in Ans will also save space. I removed the spaces in the strings too, but if that should be done is a matter of preference since the it's different for the user. Oh, and some of the parentheses are redundant.

Code:
ClrHome
Disp "Solve","AX+BY=C","DX+EY=F
Prompt A,B,C,D,E,F
(BF-CE)/(BD-AE→X
(CD-AF)/(BD-AE
Disp "X:",X►Frac,"Y:
Pause Ans►Frac

This is 95 bytes (VAT entry excluded).

SirCmpwn wrote:
I did miss those parenthesis, but I also wanted to retain identical functionality after optimization.

souvik1997 wrote:

Code:
ClrHome
Disp "Solve","AX+BY=C","DX+EY=F
Prompt A,B,C,D,E,F
BD-AE
{(BF-CE)/Ans,(CD-AF)/Ans
Disp "X,Y",Ans>Frac

Even more optimized. Smile

SirCmpwn wrote:
Using Ans was clever, but I still wanted to do this without changing the output.
Umm, what was the point of that post? You not only -t-r-i-p-l-e- quadruple posted, but you just quoted people without even responding to them. Try not to do stuff like that here, please.
Hi souvik1997,

I apologize for cross-posting initially, I have asked an administrator to delete all the redundant posts.
I love that... "There are 17.3 people working for this company" What does 3/10 of a person look like?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours