This afternoon, Merthsoft pointed me to the following interesting topic about slovenly dress amongst hackers and coders:

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=3048550

Personally, the topic doesn't apply to me, as I have a personal dress code. Since elementary school, I normally dress in nice khakis or dress slacks, a button-down shirt, and sometimes a tie, a blazer, and/or a nice vest. However, I know many of my fellow hackers and programmers tend to go with shorts and a tee shirt. Personally, I know that my code/skills stand by themselves with or without careful dressing from me, so I dress the way I do because I want to make a good impression and look like a professional. I know that the shorts - and - tee - shirt people often cite the fact that they don't need appearances to show their professional qualities, that their code and their work does it for them. I don't know how I feel about that argument, but I like my method. How do you guys dress? What do you think about the argument one way or the other?
I don't mind wearing a suit and tie, in fact I enjoy it, since it makes me feel like I'm not poor.
I wear the same 7 shirts and the same 7 pants each week, and the same pair of shoes.
I am the smoothest and most classy fish in the deep blue sea.
I always wear shorts and t-shirts.
Or sweatshirts and t-shirts.
SirCmpwn wrote:
I wear the same 7 shirts and the same 7 pants each week, and the same pair of shoes.
Button-down or tee? Does your office have a dress code?

Spyro: But you're not a professional coder and/or graduate student in engineering/computer science, right? Smile
I prefer Untucked dress shirts but sometimes wear a t-shirt, but other than that I sport blue jeans and a pair of shoes that comes close to matching my shirt.
Oh and dark blue Crocs. Not "real shoes".
KermMartian wrote:
SirCmpwn wrote:
Button-down or tee? Does your office have a dress code?

We have business casual, except on Friday. Monday-Thursday I wear black pants and a nice (not button up) shirt, and Friday-Sunday I wear jeans and a tee shirt. Black shoes/black socks M-T, white sneakers/white socks F-S.
SirCmpwn, I see. I should mention that almost every day except Saturdays, I put brown (or black) moderately-businessy leather dress shoes with the outfit.
I am typically barefoot with one of 3 pairs of cargo shorts, and one of about 25 t-shirts. The exception is for airplane travel (you *always* get better treatment at the airport and on the plane if you're well dressed), or if I'm giving a talk/receiving an award.
hmm, depends on weather

summer/spring: t-shirt and breathable shorts

fall/winter: T-Shirt, long sleeve shirt, sweater, long pants, and thick socks.

Nothing really special in regard to shirt. just a plain 1-2 color shirt `-`
elfprince13 wrote:
I am typically barefoot with one of 3 pairs of cargo shorts, and one of about 25 t-shirts. The exception is for airplane travel (you *always* get better treatment at the airport and on the plane if you're well dressed), or if I'm giving a talk/receiving an award.

I have a "uniform" for giving talks, I always wear nice jeans and a polo with a discreet logo on it. I generally go with sneakers. It keeps the talk more conversational and interactive, but still looks pretty nice.
I usually wear jeans and a button-down shirt or a t-shirt. I rarely wear shorts, even in the summer.
I wear shorts and a t-shirt. Even to work. Even to my most recent job interview. My worth as an employee has absolutely nothing to do with how I dress. That being said, the company explicitly said the dress code was casual. Had they not said that, I'd've dressed nicely to the interview.
I own clothes from PJs to a tux, so I'm prepared for whatever situation may come, but in general I want to be comfortable, especially if I'm going to be programming etc.
merthsoft wrote:
I wear shorts and a t-shirt. Even to work. Even to my most recent job interview. My worth as an employee has absolutely nothing to do with how I dress. That being said, the company explicitly said the dress code was casual. Had they not said that, I'd've dressed nicely to the interview.
I own clothes from PJs to a tux, so I'm prepared for whatever situation may come, but in general I want to be comfortable, especially if I'm going to be programming etc.

Naked
Man, being naked is awesome. You're beating the heat and feeling great. I write tons of code naked.
Merth, I definitely hear the comfort thing as one of the most convincing arguments for casual clothing for developers and coders, but I'd counter by saying that at least for me, I'm very happy and comfortably physically and emotionally when I'm wearing nice clothes. Even the slight discomfort of wearing ties on hot days is usually worth it for me in exchange for enjoying looking a little bit above average.
KermMartian wrote:
Merth, I definitely hear the comfort thing as one of the most convincing arguments for casual clothing for developers and coders, but I'd counter by saying that at least for me, I'm very happy and comfortably physically and emotionally when I'm wearing nice clothes. Even the slight discomfort of wearing ties on hot days is usually worth it for me in exchange for enjoying looking a little bit above average.
Then that's how you should dress Smile. My point still holds. Dress however is comfortable for you, and if you're comfortable looking "above average", then do so.
I wear the same 3 pairs of shorts and 10ish shirts all the time. When it gets colder, I wear pants, a t-shirt, and a very lightweight jacket.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours