I have been making updates to my ExamRacr app that has been getting tested by an end-user. He has the TI-84 Plus Silver Edition while I am using the regular TI-84 Plus.

The latest issue is that my custom text editor module does not work anymore for him like it had in the past. Now, when he presses keys on his calc, he says he gets "junk". I am wondering if this can be due to a memory management issue between the two calculators or some threshold of some kind is reached.

I have been testing the text editor profusely on the regular TI-84 and it works great, no bugs. I'm about to ask him to let me borrow a silver edition one.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

I am posting a segment of code which does the basic handling of the getkey input. The text editor module is over 1100 lines (with comments and blank lines). I'm not sure if it is neccessary to post that.

Code:
bcall(_GetKey)

ld b, a   ;save key to check for edit mode

ld a, (AppTextEditorControl.DisableEdit)
   or a
   jp nz, Enter   ; if disable edit is set to 1, then immediately leave
         ;  the text editor (take test mode)

ld a, b   ; recall to a the key press

cp kLeft
   jp z, Left

cp kRight
   jp z, Right

cp kDel
   jp z, Delete

cp kClear
   jp z, Clear

cp kMode
   jp z, Mode

cp kEnter
   jp z, Enter

;keyExtend       EQU       8446
   ;kExtendEcho     EQU       FE
   ;kExtendEcho2    EQU       FC

ld c, a   ; hold keycode in c register
   ld a, kExtendEcho2
   ld b, a
   ld a, c   ; put keycode back in c register   

cp b
   jp nz, {+}
   ld hl, keyExtend
   ld a, (hl)   ; get lower case key code

ld d, a
   ld a, kExtendEcho2
   ld e, a   ; ld de, 'char', kExtendEcho2
   jp {++}   
+:
   ld e, a   ; ld de, 0a
   xor a
   ld d, a   
++:   

bcall(_KeyToString)

inc hl
   ld a, (hl)

call AddLetter
There shouldn't be any significant difference between the 84+ and 84+SE. What OS is the problematic calculator running? 2.53MP and 2.55MP are known to break compatibility with many programs.
There are no differances between a TI-84+ and a TI-84+SE other than the SE has more memory for apps and whatnot. if you have mp, btw, downgrade as soon as possible, it wreaks havoc on programming sometimes.
Thanks guys for the input, I will find out the OS versions.

Also, qazz42, what is "mp"? I am assuming it means the os has some MathPrint capability based on little google researching. The end-user may want that on the calcs. I guess that could spell trouble for me then.
MathPrint is a massive pain in the neck. My real question is this: are you using something like Doors CS for a lot of your routines, like drawing to the screen (iFastCopy)? If not, then you may be running into timing issues. I strongly suggest you use a shell's features for things like that, and as I personally wrote Doors CS, I know that things like its FastCopy are built to deal with the quirks of the LCD on all the models including the Nspire.
Mathprint also has speed issues if I remember correctly... even asm programs were slower on my TI-84+SE when I tried out 2.55. if you can't work around that, a little note in the readme would probably suffice.
qazz42 wrote:
Mathprint also has speed issues if I remember correctly... even asm programs were slower on my TI-84+SE when I tried out 2.55. if you can't work around that, a little note in the readme would probably suffice.
Depends what shell you're using. Wink Certain Doors CSes help to alleviate those problems. puromtec, have you given any thought to leveraging the power of a shell?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours