How do I call a basic program from asm? I asked Kerm about this earlier and he said:

Kerm wrote:
Forty-Two, there's an easy way, with a bcall, that sucks
There's a very very hard way, that Doors CS does, which is flexible

Any comments? I didn't get much more out of him because he was busy.
I suggest you familiarize yourself with the DCS7 Assembly API Smile many useful functions like that which really help your efforts. To answer your question (at least I think), use this: http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php?title=RunProg
Ashbad wrote:
I suggest you familiarize yourself with the DCS7 Assembly API :) many useful functions like that which really help your efforts. To answer your question (at least I think), use this: http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php?title=RunProg

I don't want to do it with DCS7. I need to know how to do it without any libraries.
Just out of curiosity, why? And, I think if you ask very, very nicely, Kerm might share Smile
I happen to have disagreements with most of the shells out there, so I'm coding my own lightweight one in axe. Don't try to persuade me. I really do hate them.
seana11 wrote:
Ashbad wrote:
I suggest you familiarize yourself with the DCS7 Assembly API Smile many useful functions like that which really help your efforts. To answer your question (at least I think), use this: http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php?title=RunProg

I don't want to do it with DCS7. I need to know how to do it without any libraries.

Oh, didn't pick up on that, my bad. To run without any helper libraries, I believe you put the name in OP1 and call something like Parselnp as a bcall.
Just like you hate everything that isn't Google and Java-related? Wink For the time being, you could use that BCall that was mentioned.
_player1537 wrote:
Just like you hate everything that isn't Google and Java-related? ;) For the time being, you could use that BCall that was mentioned.

Shaddap.

No, I don't. The main thing I have wrong with them, is that they either take too long to run a program, are incomplete, or are too elaborate.
Quote:
I really do hate them.
Surprise! Very Happy My response that was quoted above was actually me misunderstanding and thinking that you were asking about running ASM from ASM rather than BASIC from ASM. For BASIC, there's a simple BCall() to use, which I believe you may have already found. "Take too long to run a program"? You're not going to get any faster unless you re-write the parser from scratch, which would be laughable.
I think he means that the time from "I want to run a program" to "the program is running" is too long (i.e. opening DCS, navigating the GUI, selecting the program).
I personally avoid shells as much as I can, because I usually create apps and it's laughable to require a certain shell for an app.
Except you can just run programs normally from the homescreen, since DCS rocks.
Ohhh, he's quoting reasons he doesn't like shells, I see. What about HomeRun in Doors CS, Seana? It's invisible to you; it's like running a BASIC program from the OS as far as you can tell, except for the additional features it provides.

Edit: Shaun beat me to it.
I personally think that HomeRun is very nice, but Celtic III+NoShell/CalcUtil gives you the same experience for a page less. There isn't enough support from developers with 3rd party GUI-based programs. If there were more, I would use DCS more often in a heartbeat (as it is, none of my calculators run TIOS, so it doesn't really matter).
SirCmpwn, I think that's a chicken-and-egg sort of thing, personally. I think the speed with which I churn out decent-looking DCS GUI-enabled programs relative to how much free time I have to spend on such programs, and that a beginner like Souvik made his DCSB GUI program, shows that they're not too complex to work with from ASM and BASIC. If more developers started using them, more users would be interested in finding good-looking DCS GUI programs, which in turn would push more devs to write them.
It's a tale I've heard many times, KermMartian, for many different platforms. DCS 7 is fantastic, but without programs to back it up, it isn't worth my time. You do make great programs for it, but I have little personal use for them. As far as my own programming is concerned, I really don't need more projects (and I like to have more control over my GUI anyway, I don't like the idea of using a mouse on a calculator).
Nevertheless, when I'm working on a TI-83+ SE or a TI-84+ SE, DoorsCS 7 is always there for maximum compatibility.
That's fine, which is why I offer HomeRun and TabFuncs for people who aren't fans of the mouse. I still feel that even with DCS GUI programs, it's worth it to have the NoShell functions, the MOS libs, and all the BASIC libs together in one neat package.
This is getting off topic, but I might as well have my input on this as well. I found that getting in the mode of using the Mouse with DCS7 was nice when I wanted to organize things, play existing games, etc. I really use it for everything non-dev related, and even then some. Programs not part of my development queue are hidden and neatly organized/accessed with the mouse, the programs in development are in the program menu, access with the home run feature -- it's nice to have both, plus my program menu never really has more than 5 entries at one time.
Thanks, Ashbad, I'm happy to hear that at least someone likes the interface. Smile I heard a lot of people complaining about the mouse and conveniently ignoring TabFuncs, Homerun, and the 123456+-/* shortcuts today.

But yeah, let's try and get this back on-topic for Seana.
Okay, sounds good. Seana, did this method work for you? Do you have any other questions about jumpstarting the BASIC parser?
Ashbad wrote:
Okay, sounds good. Seana, did this method work for you? Do you have any other questions about jumpstarting the BASIC parser?
Another thing to mention about the ParseInp call is that unless you want the OS to catch BASIC errors (ie, ERR:BLAH) and return to the homescreen, you have to install your own error handler before the ParseInp call.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours